Old 12-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #99
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Got it all together. Put the new intake on and torque all the bolt to 5fp. Then I came to the computer, down loaded the installation instructions from Edelbrock and they say NOT to using the rubber front/rear gaskets to use RTV only. Guess I need to back up and do it their way. Good think I only did 5fp.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0057.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	174934
Need to put the TB on the manifold and figure out how I'm going to rebuild the throttle cable bracket.
On the air cleaner being too low to clear the throttle linkage. I had $19 in two plastic spacer that would not stay put. The one on the left is my plastic disaster and on the right is a $10 piece from a junk yard off the TB 454. It's got a wide bottom flange and it snaps into the air cleaner base. Maybe I'll go back and bay the cable bracket to see if it works.

Name:	IMAG0058.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	174935
Now I think it's Miller time!

Old 12-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You checked the bearing clearance with something like plastigage?

Perry

Old 12-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #101
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
You checked the bearing clearance with something like plastigage?

Perry
Yes I did.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #102
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Well dang I went junk yard'n today and came up empty on the throttle cable bracket. The TB 454 I've got some parts off of is gone. Hard to find parts for these old beast. Did have a old car junk yard east of me, till the old man died and his kids had them all crushed. So I went to grinding on my bracket. Now my next trip to town need to get some 3/32 or 13 gauge metal and try to weld or bolt some straight back into it. Don't think it will last the way it is.

Name:	IMAG0059.jpg
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	174986
I wonder it a 350 bracket would work?
Old 12-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #103
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
With out fan fair I think I have the motor back together. Roll it over in front of Silver Bullet and hook the hoist up.

Name:	IMAG0060.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	175051
I have great hopes that the new intake don't make it too tall to fit back in. Got her in motor mount bolts in, bell housing holes lined up. Could not find the bag of bell housing bolt. I did find some bolts I shouldn't have. If you look real close at the engine while going in you will not see something.

Name:	IMAG0061.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	175052
Well guess what..... I found the FLEX PLATE BOLTS! Dang it!!! Undo and pull back out. Install the new flex plate then back in. This time things don't go so smoothly. I'm under her, in her, under her......... Lot of up/down for this old man with a bad back. I did get her in and bolted up. Had the torque wrench under so I checked the rear transmission mount and the rear X-member. Every time I check them the top ones are loose. I torqued them again and noticed some wood coming from between the top of the frame rail and the body. I've been trying to torque bolts on wood! Now the body bolt are loose and no way I can see to tighten them. Job for another day.

Name:	IMAG0062.jpg
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	175053
That puppy is in there!
Old 12-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post
Got it all together. Put the new intake on and torque all the bolt to 5fp. Then I came to the computer, down loaded the installation instructions from Edelbrock and they say NOT to using the rubber front/rear gaskets to use RTV only. Guess I need to back up and do it their way. Good think I only did 5fp.
Now you have me worried. I went out and looked at my Edelbrock installation and it looks like the builder used the factory gasket front and rear. So now I have to decide whether or not to pull the intake manifold and redo the gasket installation

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Every time I check them the top ones are loose. I torqued them again and noticed some wood coming from between the top of the frame rail and the body. I've been trying to torque bolts on wood! Now the body bolt are loose and no way I can see to tighten them. Job for another day.
Yep, the Aistream 1" x 2" steel floor frame work sits on top of strips of 1/2" plywood that lay on top of the GM chassis.

Which body bolts are you talking about?

Brad
Old 12-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #106
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Yep, the Aistream 1" x 2" steel floor frame work sits on top of strips of 1/2" plywood that lay on top of the GM chassis.

Which body bolts are you talking about?

Brad
Marry Christmas!!!! I got to be a wise man last night.

Name:	PIC_0693.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	175201
It's the front bolt before the step up to the cockpit. Goes into the steel tubing of the body. No way to get to the bolt head to tighten.
Went to town yesterday to buy bolts, new A/C compressor, high output alternator, hose for the power steering pump. Just can't buy some things on Christmas Eve. That puts me at a stand still till everyone opens again.
Everything is cover in ice this morning. The weather liars forecast 1/2 of sleet by now with the start of 3-10" of snow which hasn't happen yet.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #107
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
It's the front bolt before the step up to the cockpit. Goes into the steel tubing of the body. No way to get to the bolt head to tighten.
If the bolt is under the step frame assembly and is one of the four holding the step assembly in place then you're dealing with a Phillips flat head screw. To get at the head you have to remove the plastic step liner inside and then remove the 1/2" plywood substrate.

Quote:
Went to town yesterday to buy bolts, new A/C compressor, high output alternator, hose for the power steering pump. Just can't buy some things on Christmas Eve. That puts me at a stand still till everyone opens again.
Which alternator are you going to use?

Quote:
Everything is cover in ice this morning. The weather liars forecast 1/2 of sleet by now with the start of 3-10" of snow which hasn't happen yet.
Keep your fingers crossed it doesn't happen!

Brad
Old 12-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #108
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Yesterday I started trying to get the A/C and alternator brackets installed. I have to make new spacer because the smog pump bracket isn't going back on. The new intake manifold is different and the water pump is different, so I had to get the grinder out. Had to cut this ear off the intake so the brace/adjuster nut can get to the bolt which I need to grind the hole out too and grind the alternator bracket to clear the larger body of the water pump.

Name:	IMAG0063.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	175278
Today, after the ice melted off the street some, I became my own gofer. Went to ACE to get a longer bolt to change out with the stud in front of the intake where the alternator bracket goes. Buy the A/C drying. Went to the alternator shop and they went about building me a 140A 'dumbly' external regulated alternator. Don't think a 'one wire' would work, which means I keep the 'cheesy' ford regulator. While they worked on that I donation a 'double red' that the blood bank. Here's my catch of the day:

Name:	IMAG0064.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	175279

Brad, The frame bolt is on the drivers side. The bolt is inside the tube and I see no way to get to it.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #109
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I work at it and worked at it and could not get the alternator pivot bolt to thread into the nut. I ground and ground on the brackets and I still could not get the that dang bolt to go. Then I put my finger on the back of the nut and it was turning. I pulled the bolt out and look at it. NO THREADS! The thread on one side of the bolt are worn so bad that it just turns in the nut. Can you tell which it the wear out one?

Name:	IMAG0065.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	175339
For some reason this bolt is metric. I went all over the place before I ended up at a faster place. They had one, only it it is allen head. That's fine, I have allen wrenches. Another thing is the amount of adjustablity of the alternator. Only about an inch to travel. The dang spacer and the bolt on the back of the alternator is the problem. Take that bolt out and turn the bracket out of the way and you can use the whole travel of the adjuster slot.

Name:	IMAG0066.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	175340
The first is with the spacer bolted to the back of the alternator, the second is with the bolt out and the spacer turned around. I think I can put a shorter belt on now.

Name:	IMAG0067.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	283.1 KB
ID:	175341

Name:	IMAG0068.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	175342
Old 12-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #110
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Can I say, "DAMN IT!" on here? Oh I just did. Got the alternator and A/C compressor, wiring harness all hooked up. Started hooking up the oil cooler line and crawled under to make sure which tube is the 'in' and which the 'out' took the torque convertor bolts with me to bolt it up, and THOSE IDIOTS I BOUGHT THE STROKER KIT FROM... YOU KNOW THE ONES THAT TOOK 17 DAYS TO FILL MY ORDER AND THEN LEFT THE WRIST PIN SNAPS OUT THAT TOOK ANOTHER 8 DAYS! THEY SENT THE WRONG DAMN FLEX PLATE!!!!!! Called those idiots before 1:00. Was told, "We don't have a flex plate to fit a 4L80e." "Three holes should line up." I told him I didn't want to be pulling 10 ton down the road with only 3 bolts holding it all together. To with he said, "I'll call you back in 1/2 hour." It's now well after 4:00 and no call. So, pull all the above installed ideas, bring hoist back in throw open COLD SNOWY garage door, unbolt and is now ready to remove once again. Never thought to check the new flex plate against the old. I know they ask me, "What transmission do you have." Sometimes the internet isn't a good idea.

Name:	IMAG0069.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	175365
I don't want to pull it out and leave it hanging on the hoist, plus we are going to have a New Years Day Barn party and I need as much room as I can get for that. I did have high hopes of having this running before Christmas, but I had to do business with the Bakersfield IDIOTS!
Old 12-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Now THAT is a real bummer

Just a thought, have you considered dropping the transmission instead of pulling the engine? I would think that would be somewhat easier than pulling the engine again.

I realize this won't help you any but I'm going to read through this entire thread just before I install the 454 in my Argosy. A lot of good reminders have been posted here.

Hang in there, you're getting close to the finish line.

Brad
Old 12-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #112
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Now THAT is a real bummer

Just a thought, have you considered dropping the transmission instead of pulling the engine? I would think that would be somewhat easier than pulling the engine again.

I realize this won't help you any but I'm going to read through this entire thread just before I install the 454 in my Argosy. A lot of good reminders have been posted here.

Hang in there, you're getting close to the finish line.

Brad
If I owned the transmission jack it would be, but I don't. Those cross member bolts are a bitch to get out/in anyway. I got the flex plate off and the guy from 'powerhouse' called me at about 5:00. I'm shipping both the old and the new flax plate to them. They're going to balanced the old one, credit the new one, then sent the old one back paying the shipping both ways. I'm ready for a 2 week break anyway.