Old 02-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #155
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Mel,

I sure hope the old saying "Third time's the charm" applies in this situation!

Looking forward to your next progress report.

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #156
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Mel,

Saw this thread awhile back, thought you were replacing a pullEy, WOW some pulley!

I'm not an engine builder, but can't /shouldn't you prime the oil system before install and startup?

Bad luck on the practice runs, flex plate and such, ouch. The members that ID' the alignment issue as cause of flex plate cracks are spot on. Pins or dowels are critical for engine to trans concentric and even angular alignment.

Good luck.

Gary

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #157
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Mel, I have been lurking on this site watching the progress you've made on this huge project. I am beyond impressed at what you've done AND the persistence you've shown in this rebuild/renovation. Many of the restarts you've made apply to me....and more than anything, the frustration of not having the right part/tool exactly when and where I needed it. For sure, when you finish this, you're going to have an uncommon understanding of what it took, and how it all came together...
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #158
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Gary, I did pre-oil the system. Had to modify the tool to make it work- now I know why, wrong oil pump shaft.
Trouble (for me) is I've never found anything mechanical I wouldn't try to work on. From jet engines to this. I've just got rusty and slow. Just thinking, the last time I rebuilt a auto engine? In the '90's? No wonder I'm rusty.
Speaking of rust, I think the shop is warm now... Time to 'get it' for a couple hours. Got to not work too long, or I'm down in the back for a couple days. This getting old isn't for the weak at heart.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #159
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Mel,

It obviously ain't your first BBQ or Rodeo that's easy to tell.

I'm mentioning the priming because I just happened to have run into the Melling folks at a recent aftermarket show and they have YouTube videos, of oil pump priming 101, 201 and so on.

Melling > Aftermarket > Tech-Tip Videos

Good luck.

Gary
S/OS #001
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #160
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Mel,

It obviously ain't your first BBQ or Rodeo that's easy to tell.

I'm mentioning the priming because I just happened to have run into the Melling folks at a recent aftermarket show and they have YouTube videos, of oil pump priming 101, 201 and so on.

Melling > Aftermarket > Tech-Tip Videos

Good luck.

Gary
No, not my first BBQ, but dang if I remember it was so hot!
I didn't watch the Melling video on setting the oil pickup tube right.
Gary, I reread your post and no I couldn't do the per-lube before installing because of the external engine oil cooler and radiator cooler plate. I did eliminate the radiator cooling plate with the new aluminum radiator, still need the all the plumping hooked up to oil it
Old 02-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #161
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Mel,

Again, not an engine builder. A long time ago I worked at a golf course and we resurected an old Allis Chalmers HD-41 (IIRC) and the shop boss wouldn't let it have fuel (start) until it made pressure. Maybe leave the plugs out, disable fuel and spark, then crank until PSI. Did I mention I'm not an engine builder? Where's Choctaw? We lived in Mustang for 3 great years.

Common Mel, get it running!

Gary
S/OS #001
Old 02-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #162
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I see I can't chow gum and type..... I DID watch the Melling video on spacing the oil screen.

Gray, if you lay a ruler across downtown OKC and put one end on Mustang, the other end would be right where I live. 30 miles as the ruler lays w/downtown right in the middle.
When pre-oiled you know it's pressurizing when you hear it stop bubbling and the drill loads down. Had to dig out my 1/2" electric when the battery 3/8" dewalt wouldn't handle the load. Uses to use an old screw driver w/no handle chucked up in a drill. This time I rented the correct tool. Wouldn't want to 'crank it' with the started: wouldn't turn the pump fast enough, take too long and could do damage
Need to go to town and find the gaskets for the oil cooler adapter. Get that bolted on and the oil filter back on I would be ready to pre-lube again.
Worked on it for 2 whole hours yesterday: torque convertor/flex plate bolted; Headers bolted and torqued. Next is the wiring harness, TB, power steering pump, A/C pump, alternator... And those are all bending over operations that REALLY get my back! Am trying to pace myself to no more than 2 hours at a time. Get an MRI Monday. Hope they can see something fixable in there.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #163
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Mel,

If you were in Shawnee, I knew that one, had to check a map, FOUND YA! Mel, it looks like you was close to the spring of 99 tornado path IIRC. We were huddled in the house understanding why some old timer houses had "fraidy holes" in the back yard. The whold family looks back fondly on the 3 years in the Sooner State, still talking about seeing the OK Cattlemens Assn Range Roundup Rodeo at the Lazy E.

Be carefull, make it work.

Gary
S/OS #001
Old 02-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #164
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Mel,

If you were in Shawnee, I knew that one, had to check a map, FOUND YA! Mel, it looks like you was close to the spring of 99 tornado path IIRC. We were huddled in the house understanding why some old timer houses had "fraidy holes" in the back yard. The whold family looks back fondly on the 3 years in the Sooner State, still talking about seeing the OK Cattlemens Assn Range Roundup Rodeo at the Lazy E.

Be carefull, make it work.

Gary
After I got the boot from Tinker, I was a bicycle mechanic at the bike shop in Shawnee for a couple years.
We were in the path the '99 tornadoes, but all I got was 5 acres of fiberglass insulation (a pink yard) and a bad case of the itches every time I mowed. Neighbor has a 'fraidy hole'. Trouble is, can't see the thing coming from inside a concrete box. I've stood and watch tornadoes take the roof off building and rip up trees and power lines.... Really fun to watch. Keep saying I'm going to build me a scared-e-hole. It's just one of those things that hasn't move to the top of my bucket list yet.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #165
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I did get the power steering pump and the alternator on today. The pressure hose fitting to the hydro booster finely got tired for being taken off and put on.
Had to go to O'reilly's and pick up an appeasement check because they sold me the wrong mid-shaft. Nice of them to give my some compensation for that. Anyway they didn't have a hose, didn't show one in the system. Went down the street to AutoZone and ordered one. Little girl at the counter did not understand P-30. Got her to stop zooming by it and there it was. Course it's probably not the right one, will see Saturday.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #166
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Mel,

OK, got it figured out. Finish the 454 and then start the conversion to make a one of a kind Airstream Storm Chaser. The Airstream name itself goes with the overall concept. So now you need to start sketching the ASC I, you know skirting, armoring, bighonking electrical do it all scanning radaring prediction system, I see it pulling in to a campsite and anchoring down, Oh Yeah!
S/OS #001
Old 03-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #167
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Gary, got the big electric horns and as soon as I get this engine running the rest is on the to-do list:<)

I've really slowed down on this thing. Got the motor back in with the right oil mid-shaft. BTW O'Reilly's sent me a check for $$ to cover the cost of that error.
Rented the oil prelube and if worked as received (unlike the last time when I had to tear it apart to touch the shaft) With my trusty 1/2' drill on
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0115.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	180574
I turned the ignition on and I have oil pressure.
With the: A/C compressor, S/T pump, alternator, belt, fan, radiator in and full. It's time to start this baby!
BUT it warms up a little, then coughs and dies.
Got it wired wrong, check all on right spark plug. Try again. Same thing!
Plug wires are cross-firing. Go to Chevrolet and buy a set of plug wire holders (note: can get a 2'r, 3'r,4'r holder for under $5) I re-run the plug wires. Now all nice and separated. The same dang thing!
The cheat shitty wires I got?
Is the valve train timing off? Has 3 key holes in the crank sprocket, but should run in any of them. By the time I go out, get under to check with the lighting, it was way advanced.
HELP!!!! Need to think about this one Maybe I need to consult with someone not on pain medications!

BTW: Back pain. Just found out I have another herniated disc. L-2 and L-3. That pretty much means my whole lumbar (L1-S-1) spine is shot. My doctor is talking 'hardware' now. Wish I could get the VA to do ANYTHING about this. Guess I'm to the age, "You don't need that expensive surgery." "Just take that pill." But wait, that's why I'm seeing 'real' doctor! The best the VA can do for pain medication is 20 7.5/100 Lortabs. But not very often, "You know they're habit forming."

Sorry about that, I hurt! I'm mad!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0118.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	180575  
Old 03-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #168
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Did it run well until warmed up or did it die right after it started? Did it run smooth when it was running or was it running rough? How advanced was the timing? Are you sure the cam is indexed to the crank properly. Is your distributor set in correctly? Just some thoughts