Old 02-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #141
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Think of it this way. You know exactly how it comes out and goes in so the R&R should go much faster this time. Sorry to hear it though. Hope nothing got hurt with the lack of oil pressure.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #142
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I would think as long as you used a reasonable amount of pre-lube on the various parts you should be ok.

I'm curious as to what the "mid-shift" is.

Brad

bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #143
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post

I'm curious as to what the "mid-shift" is.

Brad
Before you bolt the oil pump on, you put the 'mid shift' on that then connects to the bottom of the distributor with then drives the oil pump. Can't install from above which means the pan must to removed.

Speaking to that, I got all the pan bolts out and tried, with a strap around the harmonic balancer, to get the pan off. Had to take another anti freeze shower and take the radiator out but still can't lift the engine far enough to get the pan off. Got to get it loose for the transmission next.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #144
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Bummer, sorry to hear you have to tear into the oil pan to fix the problem. I didn't realize the oil pan couldn't be removed with the engine in place. That's not good

I guess I better measure for my distributor to make sure it reaches. Mine is still on the test stand so pulling the pan would be easy at this point.

Good luck!

Brad
Old 02-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #145
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
After hemming and humming around on getting the motor back out. I picked a snowy rainy day. And of course with a 35 foot motor home in a 40 foot shop, one must open the door to get the hoist in/out of the front. COLD! With the barn door open it don't take long for the inside temp to be replace by the outside temp.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0110.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	179421
Next thing is to get in the stand and turn over with the pan side up. Take the 2 bolts holding the pan on. I pull the front main bear, rods 1 and 2. They look good.

Name:	IMAG0111.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	179422
Now I look for my assembly lub... No where to be found. I look everywhere, then I look again... And again. Dang aliens, they can sneak right in and be out of our solar system in a blind of the eye. Call the wife and she's at the grocery store. I ask her to stop by AutoZone and get me some lub. "Where's it at?" "Look out the front door of the grocery store. The one we park in front of when we go eat pizza."
I have found The problem with no oil pressure. The short one is the new (WRONG) one.

Name:	IMAG0112.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	179423
Now I'm going to work my way from front to back checking rod/main bears. Hope I don't find anything but "Looking good!" Get 'er done!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #146
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Sorry you had to go throught this, but I'm happy you found the source of the problem.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:08 AM   #147
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Mel, sorry you had to yank the motor again. It's really good to hear that the two rods and main that you checked are ok. That bodes well for the rest of them.

I'm not sure which is better, working on something like this when it's really cold or when its really hot with mosquitoes buzzing around

Brad
Old 02-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #148
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Sendin ya positive vibes Mel... keep at it buddy!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #149
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Sendin ya positive vibes Mel... keep at it buddy!
Slow down on the 'vibes' They hit here about 2:00 this morning. Lighting, hail, sleet, rain, and more and more and more. Power went off around 6:30. Had to go put the battery cable back on 'silver bullet', fire the generator up turn the main breaker off, plug in to the 'man cave' and power the house till 11:00. Had to keep the beer cold:<)
Got by O'reilly's and they did exchange the shaft, then I came home and sent a nasty email to the company. If nothing else, they owe me 7 qt of oil, oil filter, 3 gal antifreeze/distilled water, 1 1/2 qt power steering fluid, 6 qt transmission fluid. Can't give me bake the time, blood, or skin I used up.
Got to work on an exhaust setup for the 'man cave'. Gets cold in there fast w/the overhead door open running the gen.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #150
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post
Slow down on the 'vibes' They hit here about 2:00 this morning. Lighting, hail, sleet, rain, and more and more and more. Power went off around 6:30. Had to go put the battery cable back on 'silver bullet', fire the generator up turn the main breaker off, plug in to the 'man cave' and power the house till 11:00. Had to keep the beer cold:<)

Couldn't you just put the beer outside?

Quote:
Got by O'reilly's and they did exchange the shaft, then I came home and sent a nasty email to the company. If nothing else, they owe me 7 qt of oil, oil filter, 3 gal antifreeze/distilled water, 1 1/2 qt power steering fluid, 6 qt transmission fluid. Can't give me bake the time, blood, or skin I used up.
Good luck collecting. I'm sure they have a disclaimer posted somewhere that absolves them of any of the above.

Quote:
Got to work on an exhaust setup for the 'man cave'. Gets cold in there fast w/the overhead door open running the gen.
Years ago I bought one of those rubber hoses like they use in commercial garages that allows me to pipe the exhaust outside. I usually run it under the garage door which I leave open a few inches. Works pretty good.

Brad
Old 02-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #151
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post

Couldn't you just put the beer outside?

Good luck collecting. I'm sure they have a disclaimer posted somewhere that absolves them of any of the above.

Years ago I bought one of those rubber hoses like they use in commercial garages that allows me to pipe the exhaust outside. I usually run it under the garage door which I leave open a few inches. Works pretty good.

Brad
Don't want the beer to freeze. Way way back in another live time I was in the Army at Fitzsimmons Hospital in December and I bought a 6 pack. Opened the window in my barracks and sat in on the window seal. While 3 of us downed the first 3 the others froze solid.

Garage exhaust hose... $170 up for 4"X11". I was using gutter down spout to go under the door. It melted my bottom seal:<( It I would want to use in with the motor home exhaust, I'd need 6" to go over the RV exhaust pipe.
When I use the generator to power the house (sometimes for days) I need to door closed to keep from freezing the water lines in my shop.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #152
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Got the new mid-shaft in, oil pump on, pan on, the motor turned up right and the hoist hooked on.
I had to go to town today and I noticed the Miata was getting loud. So after I got the motor ready to go back in, I check the Miata exhaust and found a gasket in the pipe leaking, so, I go to town to get new motor mount for the RV and a gasket for the Miata. Of course had to go all the back to the bigger town to get both. May plan was to fix the Miata, put the new mounts in (don't know why I didn't do this before) and open the big door, stab the motor and call it a night. NOT!!!! Mr. Murphy slapped me up side the head and I broke a stud off on the Miata exhaust pipe. Should be metric, but looked like 3/8-16. Never know, this is a 1993 car and it did have 2 different nuts on the studs. So I drill it out. For the first time I get the broken stud out with a easy-out. screw the new 3/8 in and it don't stop were it should. End up cutting some of the heat shield off and putting a nut on the back.
I hate metric!
Maybe I'll have time tomorrow to get the motor back in.
Detours, detours!
Old 02-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #153
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
You should have just ignored the Miata exhaust sound until you were done with the engine install, that's what I would have done anyway

You're not the only one that hates metric. The 86 345 that I dismantled had a mix of metric and SAE threads on the engine, talk about confusing

Brad
Old 02-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #154
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Got the motor back in the upright position and ready to install again.

Name:	IMAG0113.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	179655
Went to Autozone to get some new engine mounts. One is all black and pretty, the other is all rusty and old. I whined about he rusty one and I got it for $3.50. It pays to whine.

Name:	IMAG0114.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	179656
Don't know why it is, but every time I R&R this thing it take longer to do. I got it in, the motor mounts are bolted, and the bell housings is bolts. Time to rest the poor old back and get back to it when I don't hurt so bad. Going to be snowed in Monday again, so be a good day to try to warm the barn up and get it!