Old 02-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #127
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Mel, looking good! I'll bet you're anxious as heck to fire that thing up.

Did you figure out what the cause of the transmission leak was? I'm guessing loose fitting.

Would it be possible for you get get some pictures of how your A/C compressor is mounted along with how the braces & brackets are arranged? I'm sorting out that mess on my Argosy and I'm curious to see what differences there are.

I hope you get your radiator issues resolved soon.

Thanks!

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #128
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post

Did you figure out what the cause of the transmission leak was? I'm guessing loose fitting.

Would it be possible for you get get some pictures of how your A/C compressor is mounted along with how the braces & brackets are arranged? I'm sorting out that mess on my Argosy and I'm curious to see what differences there are.

Thanks!

Brad
The leak is because the main trany cooler that goes in front of the radiator isn't on. Got to get the radiator in before I can hook the lines to/from the trany cooler up. They are covered w/plastic bags. I do know which one is the 'out' line now.
I'll get some light on the front and see if I can get any pictures worth posting.

choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #129
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I've been ask about the condition of the 'pile of scrap' ie the Banks cold air package that don't fix my application now.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0097.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	178389
This shows wear at that one end of the 4" duct that connects at the air damn.

Name:	IMAG0099.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	178391
Here shows wear on the 4" duct fitted to the grill end

Name:	IMAG0098.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	178390
bottom: hose to filter housing
top: fitting that attaches to air damn.
Hope this helps GUNNER.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #130
Gunter

2000 35' Land Yacht XL w/2 slides
Greenville , Ohio
That helps, I sent you a private message regarding this. I really like what you did with the Summit Air Cleaner assembly, I also believe based on the shorter run of hose it will be an improvement even over the Banks system. I really would appreciate if you can provide the part numbers from Summit and any modifications you had to do to make it fit. Thanks,
Old 02-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #131
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner View Post
That helps, I sent you a private message regarding this. I really like what you did with the Summit Air Cleaner assembly, I also believe based on the shorter run of hose it will be an improvement even over the Banks system. I really would appreciate if you can provide the part numbers from Summit and any modifications you had to do to make it fit. Thanks,
the K&N filter in the Banks has a lot more flow, but the new one has more flow then the nu-aspirated 454 can ever use.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #132
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post

Thanks!

Brad
Will these help you? front views. Not sure what you're looking for

Name:	IMAG0103.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	178456

Name:	IMAG0101.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	178457
Old 02-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #133
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I called the radiator shop Wednesday, "It'll be ready tomorrow." Thursday: Met the wife and daughter for lunch, then went by the shop about Noon, "It'll be done in a couple hours." Stopped by at 2:00 (2 hours later), "It's over in the welding shop." So I waited.... and I waited. About 3:30, "The welder needs to go get some welding gas." And I wait.... 4:45, "The welder is just now going to get the gas, will be done in 1 1/2 hours." I ask, "Do you think it'll be ready in the morning? I have things to do tomorrow and if it's ready first thing in the morning I can pick it up." I told him that diesel is costly for me to be driving an extra 60 miles for nothing. NO reply. I have no idea how today's business' can operate with such incompatibly. Reminds my of trying to get something do in Mexico, "We'll be over this afternoon." But which afternoon you don't know.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #134
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
OH!!! LOOKY LOOKY!!!!

Name:	IMAG0104.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	439.2 KB
ID:	178494
I called the radiator guy and he was finishing it this morning. Glad I didn't wait till they finished it last night. He said they got it pressure checked at 8:30 last night Now it's going to set till???? The story of my life: got time to work on project and I'm waiting parts, got parts and no time.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #135
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Sweet!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #136
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Sweet!
The old weighs in at 47 pounds, the new 6 pounds. When I'm sure I don't need the old one for anything, I'll strip the steel off and sell for scrap which is $2.18 a pound for copper today. I got charged $100 for cutting off the fill spout, patching it, adding the 3/4" fitting for the heater hose, adding the fill tube to the front, and the 3/8" threaded bezel for the electric fan switch. If I'd bought a replacement copper radiator all that would have to be done too. Hope it'll cool the monster now. Maybe I can mount the old one on the roof? That would give it an Okie look
Old 02-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #137
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post

Maybe I can mount the old one on the roof? That would give it an Okie look
If you hooked it up and mounted it where it could recirculate cabin air, you could use it as a giant heater core. In addition to roof air, you could have roof heat.

Congratulations on all the progress you've been making lately.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #138
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post
Will these help you? front views. Not sure what you're looking for
Mel, thanks for the pics. I was afraid your rig would be different than mine and I was right. Mine uses a totally different arrangement for the a/c mounting.

I've been trying to figure out if the brace I have installed from the front of the a/c mount to the intake manifold is correct.

Glad to see you finally got your radiator. Now all you need is time...

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #139
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Well the pretty new radiator is in, full of antifreeze/distilled water. Got it to start right off, then it died with a BANG. start, Bang die, start, bang die.... Valve train hitting? Rod loss? I start disassembling. Before I pull all the accessory's, (note A/c pump must be removed first) I decide to get the valve covers off, take all the rocker arms off, remove the spark plugs. Turn it over, no bang. Talk to a friend, "If's a fuel or wiring problem." I check: find I installed the old oil pressure swt for the rear fuel pump which I bypassed because the wire was bad (now maybe grounded) some years back and not the oil pressure gauge. So, I'm thinking "oil pressure comes up kicks the swt and shorts the 12V out, voltage drop stops the EFI. I put it all back together, adjust the valves again. Put the radiator back in, fill it. This time I don't install the A/C compensator or the big transmission cooler. I find a couple fitting in my bucket of fitting and tie the transmission oil line together. Try again. I'm not getting voltage from the injector pumps relay to the pump. Check the book, shows 'D' to be the voltage out to start the pump for a couple seconds when ign is turned on to start. 'D' terminal don't have a connector in it. No wonder it's always been so hard to start! I strap the oil pressure swt with a paper clip. Fuel pressure comes up to 14 pounds, engine starts, no BANG, but run really rough. NO OIL PRESSURE! I pull the distributor, look at the slot in the mid-shift to the oil pump, put it back in. Hit the start and turn the bug 1/4 turn, pull the distributor. Mid-shift didn't move. I get the tape measure out: 8" from flange to top of mid-shift; 7 7/8" from mating flange of distributor to bottom. Installed they don't even touch! *&^%$#@!!!!!!!! O'Rielly's sold me a SBC mid-shift, AND I DIDN'T CHECK IT!!!! What ever happened to 'GETTING THE RIGHT PART!'
Any guesses on what I get to do now?
You're all wrong!
I'm going on a bicycle ride!
Old 02-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #140
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Speechless...

Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote