Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2015, 07:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
P30 Turn Signal Switch Replacement

So I just got my parts from Mill Supply / StepVan Parts and the wet wiper arms with replaceable wiper blades are great!

The turn signal switch is here and I've been able to pull the broken one up off the steering column but that's where I'm stopped. The switch has a plastic connector on the bottom end of the multi wire feed. Will this fish through the steering column or is there more disassembly required?

I don't want to undo more than required, any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

My refurbished steering wheel should be back home today so I'm very close to actually being on the road ....
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Its my understanding that the connector will fish through the column. Sure doesnt look like it would but supposedly it does. I found an installation guide somewhere, didnt end up having to replace mine.

Hey would you mind posting what wiper arms and blades you went with, its moving up on my list of things to do. Id sure appreciate it.

Mike
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Its my understanding that the connector will fish through the column. Sure doesnt look like it would but supposedly it does. I found an installation guide somewhere, didnt end up having to replace mine.

Hey would you mind posting what wiper arms and blades you went with, its moving up on my list of things to do. Id sure appreciate it.

Mike
Mike, likewise if you find the installation guide I'd love to see it.

From Mill Supply:

2 EA 49-518 28.42 56.84 26" RADIAL ARM, WET, BLACK
2 EA 49-552 8.74 17.48 FLEX WIPER BLADE 20" BLACK

You could actually look at the inventory and pick a 24" arm and 20" blade to allow the arm/blade to rest down farther on the resting spot and to avoid over running the outside of the curve. I thought of this as I was installing today. If you feel you've got more coverage on the outside curve a deeper swing / parking position might be in your future.

Nice looking wiper arms.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thanks Glen. Ill try to jog my search memory on that switch install, Im quite sure it said to fish the connector down through the column. What I was gonna do was run my fish tape up from the bottom, then turn the connector sideways with the wires and connector running with the fish tape. Then use some electrical tape to secure it to the fish tape and try pulling it down through. Didnt end up having to try it but that was my plan.

Mike
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:17 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Covington , Louisiana
Quote:
From Mill Supply:

2 EA 49-518 28.42 56.84 26" RADIAL ARM, WET, BLACK
2 EA 49-552 8.74 17.48 FLEX WIPER BLADE 20" BLACK

You could actually look at the inventory and pick a 24" arm and 20" blade to allow the arm/blade to rest down farther on the resting spot and to avoid over running the outside of the curve. I thought of this as I was installing today. If you feel you've got more coverage on the outside curve a deeper swing / parking position might be in your future.
Glen,
Do you think the 24" arm on the driver's side would be a good fit? Did the Mill Supply arm have the correct mount at the pivot shaft?

Thanks,
Ray J.
Bethany533 is offline   Reply With Quote