Old 04-07-2015, 05:22 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
It may b the kicker

Due to engine "run on", the dreaded "clunk" in clunker; many late 70 & 80s engines have a kicker electric device that works in reverse to a choke pulloff.
When ignition switch is ON, kicker opens throttle to idle position. When ign switch is OFF, kicker pulls back & throttle closes below idle speed. SO engine will quit & not clunk !
I think U should see if Ur carb has a kicker & if it is working.
Good luck, Wolf
Let's Roll !

Old 04-08-2015, 06:53 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
White Lake , Michigan
Thanks, will take a look and check it out. Mr D.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 04-08-2015, 07:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
My guess is that the idle jets are clogged with corrosion from sitting with ethanol in the carb over the winter. I have been through this many times with motorcycle carbs. If a carb sits with ethanol in it, then you have a problem. Taking the carb apart and cleaning the jets, might be a skill you want to learn. Also the ethanol can cause rubber parts and gaskets to swell. If you get it running better consider a fuel cutoff and run the engine till it stops after shutting of the fuel. I have had to do this on all of my motorcycles.

Perry
Old 04-08-2015, 07:08 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
White Lake , Michigan
Lots of good ideas to work with, thanks again, I may need to replace a power steering pump on my Tracker(toad) as well. Luckily, I have a well stocked tool box, just need the right place to work, Mr. D.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:18 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
My advice is to block the ERG valve off unless you are in a state that does inspections. These things stick open and cause all sorts of problems. You can test the operation with a hand operated vacuum pump hooked to the vacuum port on the EGR. When you pump the vacuum the idle will get worse but since yours won't idle you can't do this test.

Perry
Old 04-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
White Lake , Michigan
Again, thanks to all, spent 8 days at my last spot and during that time tried to cover as many of the suggestions as possible. Checked all vacuum lines, added another can of Seafoam, used carb spray to clean everything I could see and reach, adjusted my idle linkage, everything but the EGR. Drove to the next camp and for that 15-20 mile drive it ran great. By the time I got the next camp it was idling when I stopped. I might just spray the carb one more time and let it set a day or two before my next drive, but I think my problem may be solved! Thanks again, will up date further down the road, Mr.D.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Be sure to add some cleaner to the tank as well. Sometimes that will get the gunk out of it. Be ready to replace fuel filter(s) when you do this. Carry spares. 😀

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:31 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Only mentioning this, not suggestion it's the problem... Burnt out ignition contacts

Our 310 started dying when going to idle after a fairly long drive. Finally, it got to where it would go haywire and die at very inconvenient times on the road. When it was cold it would start and run, and then after while it would die again.

We had already had carburetor service and used non-ethanol gas and put additive in the tank during storage.

Boiled down to the ignition module or the ignition switch. Already had a new ignition module. Yes, it was burned-up contacts on the 30 year old ignition switch. I replaced the switch And the pigtail--it was burned also.

One of the more elusive troubleshooting experiences I have had with our 310.

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:49 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
Had the same thing happen on a Int 140 tractor, would start and run great then all of a sudden it shut off. Changed gas and it ran a bit and started missing and cutting off. Cleaned out carb, added new gas and pulled the ignition switch to the on position prior to engaging starter. As soon as the switch was pulled it started WITHOUT ENGAGING STARTER.

Seemed to indicate switch trouble, got new ignition switch and it has run fine ever since.

In my Honda Accord (82) I used no name gas for a while. Ran a emergency call for a car off bridge and got there and it would not idle down. Took it to Honda place and mechanic sprayed it with carb cleaner and ran long nose pliers down in carb to move parts around. I asked him what caused it and he asked if I was using no name gas and I admitted I was. He said that was the problem as the no name gas does not have the additives the big names has and it will clog up the moving parts in a carb.

He said run big name gas and it will not happen again. That was 15 years go and so far he has been right. Drove the Honda to 191,000 and sold it and it never did it again.