Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2005, 10:21 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztlanco
Tim;
I change my oil every 3000 miles religously!
I also use Pennzoil on my Harley and change every 2000 miles.
Ernie
18ft. Traveler (1958)

Ernie,

Thanks for that info. You sound like me. That's what I do. When I had a Harley, I did the same as you with that. It's certainly worked for me. I consider it cheap insurance, even at today's higher cost. Engines cost way more than oil.

Tim
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:29 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
talking about maintenance, when I worked at a Dealership we tool into service an Isuzu Trooper with engine problems. The owners said they changed the oil as per factory spec. When the oil pan was pulled it had new oil sitting on top of a pile of sludge. They had NEVER changed oil in 30,000 miles plus. City driving and the lack of maintenance killed it.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 08:27 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Familiar story. My grown daughters won't even bring their vehicles to me to change the oil (they have to bring the oil and filter with them ), so their cars get sporadic changes whenever I can shame them enough to get moving. Since they're both married I have to tread lightly so as not to offend the sons-in-law. Even though they grew up watching me do maintenance almost constantly, I guess because they never saw us break down they can't connect the relationship between the two.
Tim
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Christmas Valley , Oregon
Synthetic oil.

Sitting around in Idaho, getting snowed on and reading too many magazines. I have a 5.9 l Cummins engine. I have convinced myself to switch to synthetic oil and am wondering about a bypass oil filter. Your comments would be appreciated. Has anyone used the FS 2500 bypass oil filter? Sandra K. and driver!
Diesel Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:19 AM   #45
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
I run Castrol 0W30 synthetic in wife's car,(8000 mile OCI, per GM Oil Life Monitor) Cub Cadet lawn mower, Honda push mower, Honda generator, Generac generator, Briggs power washer. John Deere 2520 and 820 diesel tractors get Castrol Tection Extra 15W40 at 100 hour intervals. My Duramax diesel pickup gets Mobil 1 Truck and SUV at 7500 mile OCI's.

Everything you need to know about oil here: Bob Is The Oil Guy
Hey Pick-be careful-that M1 Truck/SUV is NOT diesel rated!
Be sure to get M1 for Diesel!

Bill
Old 03-01-2007, 04:43 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
I thought you were supposed to use "ND (non-detergent)" oil on such things as generators, lawn mowers and such because these engines don't have an oil filter. I have always used it on my generators, cement mixers and other equipment that I use for work (manufacture recommendation), and have had good engine life.
Ernie
1958 Traveler, 18ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:13 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztlanco
I thought you were supposed to use "ND (non-detergent)" oil on such things as generators, lawn mowers and such because these engines don't have an oil filter. I have always used it on my generators, cement mixers and other equipment that I use for work (manufacture recommendation), and have had good engine life.
Ernie
1958 Traveler, 18ft.
Thats not what the Honda generators say. The oil Honda wants you to use is either 30w detergent or 10w30 depending on the outside temp. The latest suggests 10w/30 for Honda generators. The same oil with an SM rating as you would use in your NEW car. The ONLY thing I have found that still recommends NON-DETERGENT OIL is some..not all...propane engines in lift trucks etc.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:31 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Greensburg , Pennsylvania
Talking Oil Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
I know there are many opinions on OIL. I noticed lately the price has really gone up. A 5 quart container is 12 dollars plus at Wally world, although Havoline and Quaker State are still around 7. I went out to Google and found a couple of charts rating oils, based on Viscosity Index, flash point, ash content, etc.
I was very surprised to see that Castrol and Valvoline which I have been using, are lower rated tha Quaker State and Havoline which are both still cheap.
alright guys- give me your opinions. I change my oil regularly, but right now I am looking at changing it on 4 vehicles. My AS is one of them.
Just had an oil change done at a dodge dealership on my 5.9 Cummins diesel (2004.5). Because of new emission changes they have switched to the new oil that the 2007 diesel engines require. Price for 12 qts. $78.00!! He wasn't smiling when I presented my free oil change coupon.
pintoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:29 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have been using Havoline lately, for some reason it is less money than most similiarly rated oils. Could not quite bring myself to use Supertech.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote