Old 06-18-2003, 11:23 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
After reading about Fram decided to switch to AC after 25 yrs of Fram use. No longer changing my own oil so I went to Walmart and they stock and use only Fram Filters.
Went to a Jiffy Lube and they only stock Pennzoil filters made by Fram.

Decided it was back to the DIY oil change and went to Auto Zone and bought the last 2 AC filters in stock that would fit on my GMC.
Went back to Walmart and they changed the oil using my filter.
Didn't seem to make any difference Fram or AC on the oil pressure but I don't think I will ever use a Fram again.

Thanks for the post and info.

garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 12:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I put on a a k&n I got at etiher NAPA or Advance auto, hows that stack up... a good choice??
I am using Valvoline synth blend 10-40 summer 10-30 winter.

ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 01:01 PM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The AC filters are a little harder to find these days. Apparently Walmart is no longer stocking them. I've been using AC since reports of Fram quality issues began surfacing. I found AC is stocked at the local Auto Zone store.

Consumer Reports did an oil filter study many years ago and rated Fram the best at that time. I remember that those results moved me to change to Fram filters. I think this is one of the reasons they became so popular with the DIY crowd.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 06:13 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
AC Filters

I too, have decided to go away from the FRAM filters I have used for years. As far as I can tell, none of the local auto parts stores carry them. However, they are available at GM dealers, though somewhat overpriced ($7 ea).
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 07:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Oil Filters

Napa had only Napa Silver and Napa Gold.

Walmart had only Fram & a few Motorcraft, have dropped AC.

Advance Auto had a small section of Fram, A huge section of Purolator, and a small section of Purolator Pure One for $5.99. I decided to try the Pure One.

Toyota ( for the Camry) is using Mobile bulk oil and Toyota filters and the service manager showed me a sample of disassembled filters to distinguish themselves from the crowd. I think I will trust my Toyota friends to make a good engineering choice.

Didn't get to Auto Zone yet or O'Reilly.

JCanavera is right. I remembered that study being Consumer Reports. United Technologies bought Fram about 10 years ago. I guess I should have known to audit their quality after the purchase.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 07:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Oil filters

Forgot to tell you.

I pulled the Fram filter about 4 hours ago. I had driven the van yesterday. There was almost no oil in the filter. I expected oil to run down as I loosened it but, none came out. Apparently the valve wasn't holding the filter full of oil. Then the sky opened up and poured rain so I haven't been able to drive it. I hope to handle my noisey valves.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 06:28 AM   #21
Rivet Master
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Another Study

Even though this is not Chevy specific, the oil filter study is generic enough to be of interest.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 01:06 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
There is a wealth of information at Bob Is The Oil Guy Website I have posted some comparison pictures at that site of an Amsoil and Fram filter side by side. Quite a difference. Thread is HERE
2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #23
Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Oil Filter Study

In years 1968 thru 1975 I was privileged to teach Automotive Technology at TSTI in Texas. This was after spending 20 plus years turning wrenches on domestic and import automobiles. We decided to do our own test of oil filters at the facility to see what was being marketed as "good filters" by advertising and reputation. We found that Baldwin and AC were the top filters at that time. Since then I have used Baldwin on all my equipment both gasoline and diesel. Key on 454 Gas is using the 2 quart filter and making sure the filter is primed with oil before start-up at oil change intervals. The 2 quart filter on the big engine gives cooler oil temperatures and better filtration with resulting longer bearing and engine life.

2 Quart Baldwin Filter
Crankcase filled with Semi-Synthetic oil

Happy Camper (me) Long lived motorhome 1984 AS 310
kmpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:30 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member
1982 34' Limited
1975 31' Sovereign
Grovetown , Georgia
Originally Posted by wingfoot View Post
I have used Fram for 15 years based on an old comparison study that judged them primarily on particle filtration size.
I have done this also on this old info. I am still using Castrol based on old info. Is this still one of the better oils?
"Humans get a lot done,not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." Flash Rosenburg

"Decaffinated coffee is the devil's blend."
GO Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Las Vegas , Nevada
Our MH had the Amsoil kit installed, filter & bypass filter, by the PO. The Amsoil products aren't always as easy to find as something you can get at any local parts houses but after reading everything posted above I'm now sure glad I've always kept up with the Amsoil products. Well worth the extra effort!

Besides the filters, the Amsoil Oil itself is suppose to have additives that eliminate problems when a vehicle sits more so than a daily driver as other oils cause.

Thanks for the info.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #26
Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
The oil is your choice guys, but Fram filters are junk inside. Instead of the filter media epoxied into metal ends, fram glues filter media on cardboard. Heat, oil, and moisture from crankcase causes the cardboard to disentegrate and suddenly you have no filter but a lot of foreign material coursing through the oil system causing premature wear. Bearing failure is what causes many 454s to die, and clean, cool, well filtered oil will give the max life to the big block engine. Get a good filter preferably a 2 quart one for your 454. IMHO the Baldwin filter is best construction overall.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:19 AM   #27
Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
The Baldwin 2qt filter is a B-7. Just installed one on the Silver Queen and oil pressure was 60 PSI with fresh oil. As I recall, Chevy Service manual calls for 45 PSI at 1500 RPM at operating temperature. For 79K miles my engine seems to be in good shape. Like all 454s it has the conformatic pistons that make a small amount of noise when warming up at engine start up from cold. Just normal for the Big Block.
A Man has got know his limitations-Dirty Harry
That's Some Bad Hat Harry-Jaws 1978
Old 03-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member
2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I see this is an old thread that came back up for some interesting discussions, my .02$.

Oil analysis reports.

This is not nearly as difficult or expensive as you might think.

I'm pretty sure that NAPA and probally others sell oil analysis kits. You get a sample during an oil change, send it off and a short while later (in my experience) you get a PDF e-mailed with the details of the analysis. Don't expect them to tell you exactly what is wrong, but the basic elements can tell you if your engine has any lubrication related issues. It alos provides an oil report IIRC. I have done it twice now and you can see if the numbers stay the same or change. For example, I run Cummins and watching for fuel in the oil is important, as injector problems show up as oil dilution. They can easily show problems in your air intake system also.

2007 Classic 30' SO
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins 6 Speed
1997 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9L Cummins 5 Speed
GCinSC is offline   Reply With Quote