Old 11-02-2003, 01:52 PM   #1
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Oil Filter

Just changed the oil in my 1984 motorhome, 454 engine. I had a choice in the Purolater filter of either a one quart filter or a two quart. What size filter are other owners using? Is there an advandage using a two quart?

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 02:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb You might find this

gunner
This former thread about oil filters, and the study of same, may prove to be of some interest to you..Oil filters, Study of
I know for awhile we had quite a reading of it..Proved to be of considerable interest~!
As to the use of one or two quarts filter..Since I don't have a MH..I'll someone else jump in here on that one..

ciao
53FC

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 03:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
If it will fit use the 2, an extra quart of oil and filter capacity.

John
Old 11-02-2003, 03:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I use the K&N filter, 1 qt capacity. Supposed to be better quality, at least I know it is way better than a Fram.
Been using Vavoline synth blend oil 10-30w. also.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 06:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Filtration

When it comes to oil filtration, generally, bigger is better.

More oil equates to less "oil wear" (each cc of oil is circulated less, since more oil is in the total system).

A bigger filter can probably equates to more filter media (not starting a debate on oil filters here, simply stating that a larger cartridge allows for more media, of whatever type is used).

A larger filter size allows for additional filter housing to air cooling area.

This is what I did on the 345. Both of the filters shown are about 30 micron filters, with internal by-passes.

Soon to be added are a pre-lube pump for the engine, and a 5 or 10 micron absolute (no internal bypass) filter mounted parallel to the two filters shown.

Each of the filters shown have an internal capacity of about 1 1/2 quarts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil filters.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	3653  

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 06:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Soon to be added are a pre-lube pump for the engine
What are you going to use for a prelube?

John
Old 11-03-2003, 07:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Pre-Lube Pump

I used to take care of a bunch of compressor stations in a former life. It was unthinkable to attempt a start on the primary drivers without a proper prelube.

The 345 is the first vehicle I have owned that has enough room to install a proper pump and valving for pre-lube.

I purchased a 1.0 HP hydraulic pump off of e-bay. This pump is very similar to the pump installed on the hydraulic stabilizers.

It is rated about 1 gpm (at 2000 psi!!!). I am hoping to see about 5 to 10 psi when the pump is operational.

I think the Chevy 454 oil pump puts out about 2 GPM per 1000 rpm, so the 1 gpm would approximate a 500 rpm idle. At least it will charge the system prior to cranking.

I plan to take the suction from the oil pan drain, and discharge into the Amsoil/NAPA oil filter manifold posted above. There is plenty of room to mount the oil pump in the wheel well posterior to the tire. It will be installed vertical, attached to the cockpit vertical riser.

Hope to install an Amsoil finite element filter at the same time.

So many projects, so little time.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 08:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I like that. I have Amsoil filters mounted between the batteries and fuel tank behind the right front wheel and a cooler right behind the grill with nearly 18 ft. of -10 line connecting it all. I need something for prelube and to fill the lines and filters after an oil change. Thought about a single stage of a dry sump pump with an electric motor (just for prelube), or (full time) isolating the cooling and filters and running them off an engine driven dry sump pump and have the engine lube off the internal pump. I'm a little nervous about the overall size and resistance of this whole cooling/lube/filter setup with only the engine pump.

John
Old 11-03-2003, 01:57 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Prelube

Have you gentlemen considered an Accusump for your prelube? A lot of racecars use them and they're not that expensive or hard to install and they require no pump. Basically it's a cylinder with a piston in it that uses the motor's own pressure to fill one side with oil while compressing the air in the other side for use as a return spring. Holds 2 or 3 quarts and can be triggered electrically or manually. I get 20# for cold starts, have 2 quarts extra on board , and if you lose oil pressure on the road, it will keep you alive to get to the side.