Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2012, 07:45 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu View Post
"Beware of synthetic oil, it can do terrible things to you and your beloved TV and MH. It will not only leak out of your engine faster than you can put it in, but it will also cause your oil filter to clog and implode, dumping debris and dirt into your lubrication system. It also will make every part of your TVMH permanently slippery because of its linear molecular chain dispersion action. Then it will leak onto your steps causing it to retract automatically, dropping you on the ground! But that's not all...

Synthetic oil will round off your gears and spin your bearings. It will also splatter onto your seat causing you to fall off in the apex of a turn. Synthetic oil coats your sight window and your timing window with a whitish pro-emulsification additive that is both non-removable and highly corrosive.

Synthetic oil will completely leak onto the ground overnight and your dog will drink it and die. Synthetic oil will wear out your tires and make your battery leak. It will give you the desperate need to urinate after you put your thermals on and then jam your zippers shut. It will contaminate your gasoline causing your TVMH to stall on railroad tracks and accelerate uncontrollably near police cars. It will make it rain during rallies and on weekends. It will lubricate your timing belts causing them to jump teeth and break your valves to bits.

Synthetic oil chemically weakens desmodromic valves and causes the clearances to change every six miles. Then it melts the black soles of your shoes right before you walk across your new carpeting. While riding past groups of attractive women it will cause your steering grips to slip off at the same time so you smash your horn button with the bridge of your nose causing it to stay on. It also causes you’re a-arms to crack, your studs to break, and your rotors to warp, and then it voids your warranty by changing your odometer reading to 55,555. It also dries out your water tank and wets your black water. It makes your clutch slave cylinder seal fail in the heaviest traffic on the hottest day of the year while putting an angry wasp in your glove box for good measure.

Synthetic oil hides your ½” socket and puts superglue in your key holes. Synthetic oil will scratch your polished areas and make your solar panels shrink two sizes the night before travel. Synthetic oil stole your neutral and sold it to the Chinese for $1.25. Synthetic oil will make you grow a tail. Synthetic oil will write long crazy e-mails to your Internet friends and then sign your name at the bottom!"
Love This!
8rmesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Milton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
To be honest, I think my Catalytic Converter has gone the way of the Dinosaurs. I've looked for one, but believe that with the Banks Powerpack conversion, it was trashed. I'll look again.
I think you're right about the Banks Power Pack...I have it and my cat is gone, just enormous exhaust pipe coming out of the headers. You could register your Moho at my address, up here on the Emerald Coast. We don't need no stinking converters...

Bill
navyspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
I'm also a big fan of Rotella-T, and used to use 15w40 exclusively in my Defender. Those old Rover 3.5/3.9 V-8's were very dirty running engines due to a design flaw in the head gasket design, and the additional detergents in the Rotella sure came in handy.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about synthetic at this point. The main gripe I have with synthetic in older engines is that if you have any leaks, it gets expensive to keep topping the stuff off. That, and if your engine is already approaching time for a rebuild, then you won't benefit from the advertised extended engine lifespan.

-Hans
HHaase is offline   Reply With Quote