Old 08-20-2017, 08:17 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1987 32.5' Airstream 325
Windsor , Ontario
No fuel to my carburator? can't start

Help, cannot start my 87' MH (325) after it being parked since May!!!

No troubles starting and running on my last trip in May. Recently recharged the battery (after running down with radio play) and it started right up. Now a week away from my Labour Day trip, I went to start to do my pre-trip checks and nothing....there is no fuel going to the carb.

I have checked the tank and there is fuel in there, all lines seem good with no leaks, did not pull off the filter but it is under two years old. I pulled off the line to the carb and tried to suck some fuel up but nothing came through. Fuel pump is less than two years old as well.

The only thing I can think of is replacing the fuel pump but would like to hear if there is anything else I can troubleshoot? Is there a thread on fuel pump replacement.

thanks in advance for any replies,
Chris

realpank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:59 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Replace the fuel filter, not the fuel pump. Replace the fuel, too.

My dad used to own a lawn mower and small engine repair shop, and every spring, there would be a rash of customers who had stored their mowers, blowers, chainsaws, etc. with fuel in them, and the gasoline had gone bad. Ethanol gasoline is only good for about 90 days from the date the ethanol was added to the gasoline. Ethanol is hygroscopic, meaning that it readily absorbs water. But the petroleum in the fuel doesn't absorb much water, only the ethanol does. The fuel then experiences something called "phase separation," meaning that it separates into two layers, a layer of gasoline on top of a layer of watered-down ethanol.

Petroleum distillates like gasoline can chemically absorb about 150ppm of water, but ethanol can absorb up to 7000ppm of water, or nearly 50 times as much water as the gasoline does.

So my guess as to what has happened is that your fuel filter is full of watered-down ethanol due to the fuel being too old, so the filter is clogged even though it's only full of liquid. And that's why you're not getting fuel to the engine.

By the way, don't buy any additives to prevent water absorption by ethanol. There is no such thing, even though there are products marketed that claim to do so. Your best bet for storage in the future is to store the motorhome with as little fuel in it as possible (1 gallon of E10 will absorb a lot less water than will 20 gallons of E10), and add fresh fuel to top off the tank before trying to start it again when you take the motorhome out of storage.

On edit— In my opinion, this is one reason why most newer vehicles have un-vented fuel tanks with an air gap at the top for expansion (and why un-vented gas cans are available as well), because if there's no vent, the only time moisture-laden air gets in is when you fill the tank. No humid air, no water in the gas, no phase separation. So this is a phenomenon that's much more prevalent with older vehicles with vented tanks where air and moisture can enter through the vent.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Disconnect the fuel line at the carb. Connect a piece of hose to the line. Place the hose in to a collection container. Crank the engine to see if you get fuel.
You could have a stuck needle and seat in the carb. Not uncommon with E10 fuel.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:30 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1987 32.5' Airstream 325
Windsor , Ontario
No fuel to carburetor, can't start

Thanks for the replies.

Got it started, whew.

Forced the issue by putting a little raw gas in the carb, that kick started it and runs fine now. All the heat I recon was vapour lock
realpank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:35 AM   #5

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by realpank View Post
Forced the issue by putting a little raw gas in the carb, that kick started it and runs fine now. All the heat I recon was vapour lock
Been so long since I've had to deal with vapor lock that I completely forgot about that possibility. Reducing vapor lock is one reason they started putting the fuel pump back at the tank so it pushes the fuel rather than being on the engine so it sucks the fuel.

Suggestion for reducing vapor lock in the future, get some foam pipe insulation and wrap the fuel line with it, all the way from the tank to the engine compartment.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:38 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Suggestion for reducing vapor lock in the future, get some foam pipe insulation and wrap the fuel line with it, all the way from the tank to the engine compartment.

Keep that flammable foam a long way from exhaust manifolds and pipes! Car-b-cues are no bueño.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
I used header wrap on my fuel lines, starting where they run close to the header pipes on the right side of the engine. Got a noticeable improvement by wrapping the hard line that comes up the front of the engine from the fuel pump to the carburetor.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:46 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Franklin Park , Illinois
All good information here
I think I might try wrapping the fuel line on my 345
I also might add my 345 did NOT have a electric fuel pump at the fuel tank, and I beleieve when under acceleration it was fuel starved, I have since added a electric fuel pump just outside the tank that pumps fuel to the mechanical fuel pump on the engine then the mechanical pump pumps fuel to the carburetor
Grosspoluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:16 PM   #9

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by YippieKiYa View Post
Keep that flammable foam a long way from exhaust manifolds and pipes! Car-b-cues are no bueño.
Good point! Maybe I was just naïve to think that the motorhome builders would have better sense than to run a fuel line right next to an exhaust pipe.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:09 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Barry's Bay , Ontario
I have a problem with my 1991 fuel injected 454
There is only 3 pounds pressure at the carburetor
I have replaced the filter
Any suggestions
Old 03-02-2018, 05:43 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
Fuel pump?

I’m also a little confused- is it fuel injected, or carbureted? 3# is light for a carb’d engine (but it should be ok to start/idle), and just plain low for a FI engine (not enough to start).
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:44 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Barry's Bay , Ontario
I will try to explain my problem more clearly
My 1991 350LE is stock
I drove over a hundred miles without a sputter or hiccup
I parked it, an hour later tried to start it
Starts but will not run or idle
I replaced the only filter I could find which was near the frame just to the rear of the entrance door
No luck
I took the line off what I call the carburetor
Put a pressure gauge on the line, cranked the engine, showed 3 pounds
Is there another filter?
Could the pickup tube be blocked
Defective pump?
If so does the tank need to be dropped?
It is throttle body injected

Thanks for any assistance
Old 03-04-2018, 10:12 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Post #129 in this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...-95034-10.html

Has a link to the 1990 Service Manual. That was apparently the bridge year between carburetors and TBI systems, as the manual has information on both in chapter 7. My 1990 has a carburetor, with two fuel pumps external to the fuel tank. If your TBI unit is built as the manual describes (never a certainty), you will have one electric pump inside the tank. If I were faced with your problem, before either dropping the tank or cutting a hole in the floor to access it from above I would disconnect the line feeding the TBI unit as close to the tank as possible, hook your gauge up, turn the key on, and see what pressure you get. The manual says that you need pressure in the teens to make the TBI unit work.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Spot on. One pump at fuel tank and one main filter on frame rail roughly half way along. There is (I believe) another filter with the pump at the fuel tank. Defo worth looking at access options from above which might avoid dropping the tank. Also worth looking at the air lock issue in the 1990/91 chassis manual. I think it was a service bulletin. If you are getting that reading it sounds like fuel supply. I would check carefully before you attempt the fuel pump though. If you find pressure is OK, check your TBI unit for injector issues or blown gaskets.

Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote