Old 04-30-2016, 02:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Chicago , Illinois
Newer than new

We purchased our first ever RV a 23' International Signature which will be delivered next month. We have a 2015 Jeep GC 6 cylinder 3.6. We didn't have the RV in mind when we bought the jeep otherwise we'd have bought an 8 cylinder.

Any word from the wise on concerns, tips, etc of towing with the 6?

Thank you.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
As a rule of thumb it's good to have towing capacity that exceeds your rig by 15%.

Don't know what your 3.6 is rated at, but…

Did your salesperson ask your about your Jeep?

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:13 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Look up the towing specs on your vehicle. You need to know tow capacity and combined GVW.

Just because it's a V6 doesn't mean it can't work if your AS is within tow rating and both vehicles are less than combined gross limit. Rear gear ratio, transmission cooling are factors in addition to engine size / hp.

A good weight distributing and sway control hitch is important.

Congrats and be SAFE!
Old 04-30-2016, 02:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Welcome, No knowledge of the 3.6. I tow a 23 with a JGC Hemi 5.7. Power and towing/load capacity to spare. Gas mileage I can live with. Until I win the lottery it will continue to do the job as required.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Good stable tow vehicle. The 8-speed transmission will do a good job of selecting gears for for ascending/descending hills. If it's shifting too often, manually select a lower gear as needed and leave it there until you don't need it. On steep grades you may need your GC and trailer brakes at times to assist the engine/transmission braking. The engine needs higher rpm's to reach its higher torque range for climbing and enough compression for engine braking, let it rev. That's all how it's supposed to work.

Airstreams tow much better than other trailers, and the GC is a good vehicle in front. The other third of the combo is the weight distribution hitch, research and get a high quality hitch and setup. It will make all the difference.

Load both rigs thoughtfully. You've already got the Airstream sitting on the back of the GC, so don't load the GC heavy, especially behind the rear axle. Load the trailer with heavy gear near the center, lighter gear at the ends. Heavy loads in front can overload both the Airstream tongue and the tow vehicle.

Get out and use it, you will soon know how to use it best.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:16 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Chicago , Illinois
Thank you for your considerate responses. I think I should be good with the sway as I purchased a stabilization bar that was recommended by the Airstream dealer. I was considering a cargo box on top of my Grand Cherokee but from the sounds of it, I'm probably better off not having it and not being tempted 2 load up too heavily.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Actually a box is not a bad idea if you are going to carry anything as it puts weight forward of the rear axle - all other things considered

Ken J
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:24 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Moneta , Virginia
We purchased a FC 23FB last year from Colonial in NJ and towed it home to SW Virginia with our Jeep GC with the 3.6L V6. The trip home was OK. However on our first trip into the Blue Ridge mountains the GC struggled up many of the hills. We are minimalist and had no more than 500lb added weight in the AS and GC. Going up wasn't the only issue, going down was also an issue. Several times the AS was pushing the GC more than I liked. I wasn't sure if this was because I didn't have the trailer break on the GC adjusted correctly so I adjusting it to the max. Better but this left me wondering what it would be like if we had a full tank of water and more weight when we went on a trip with our daughter (she is small but not a minimalist packer)? So, our next trip our daughter came along and I filled the fresh and half filled the gray and black and we headed to Floyd, VA. The poor GC was screaming in 2nd and 3rd gear most of the way and going down some of the curves was not fun. Sooo, now we have what my wife calls "the BAT" (Big A## Truck). And yes many will say I went overboard with a Ram 2500 diesel, but now we can take whatever we want and the towing experience is great.

You may not have the issues we had with the GC if you are not to towing in the mountains. The GC is a great TV on the Interstate and hills that don't have dog leg curves. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I think if I was going to buy a new or slightly used JGC I would go with the new diesel. From all reports it makes an excellant tow vehicle. Several folks here have them and I have not heard or read any negatives. My local dealership is keeping an eye out for me.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We tow our very modified 2015 23D International Serenity that scales 6,068 pounds loaded for camping with our 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI which has the 3.0L V6 diesel. That year the V6 diesel had more torque than the 5L V8 gas engine. We tow at 55 mph and we can maintain that speed going up mountain. The engine will down shift and we see 3,000 rpm, which is appropriate for the gear selected. On the level, we sometimes see 1,800 rpm which means we are in 7th gear. Usually with rolling terrain we will shift between 6th and 7th. We have seen close to 16 mpg on relatively level terrain and 11 mpg in the mountains.

If the descent is really steep, we slow down to 35 and the engine back pressure will keep the rig at that speed with no braking. The pay load capacity of this specific Mercedes is actually greater than some of of the newer fully loaded ton pickups.

So it sounds like the current V6 gasoline engine is perhaps not the best choice. But careful selection of a successor tow vehicle does not require a ton pickup.... Unless "two foot itis" sets in and a bigger trailer suddenly beckons from the Horizon.

Our experience with the Mercedes axles becoming overloaded with our 2013 25FB International Serenity loaded for camping, was we acquired a 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins. That was more than adequate for the 25FB and just right for the replacement 31' Classic with a 10,000 pound GVW.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote