Old 03-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Lakeland , Florida
Smile New battery Argosy still will not start?

I have read lots of the threads and have gotten some ideas, but I still have questions. I hope my questions aren't redundant to too dumb!

I went out to start my 1977 Argosy 20' motorhome (The Peanut, Argosy 20' - 1977 Argosy 20' Photo Gallery) and nothing happened.

I replaced the engine battery with one that seems equivalent to the old battery. The engine now tries to start, but will not turn over.

What would be the first thing the check? Distributor cap, spark plugs? I am not a mechanic, but I am handy so I would like to see if I can find the problem myself.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome

Tiffany.

If by "equivalent" if you mean the same size, it may not be the same power.
Very important to have a proper battery with good wires and clean connections both at the battery and starter.

Is the starter cranking the engine at speed.... but it's not starting?

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Lakeland , Florida
Smile New battery and er, er, er, er, er

Hi,

I wrote down the battery model, CCA, and CA and took them to the auto parts store. The auto parts man helped me pick a battery that is a 78 with a higher CCA and CA than my old battery. Could higher CCA and CA cause the engine to not turn over?

When I try to turn over the Argosy I hear a click and then er, er, er, er, er like the engine is trying, but it never starts. I can send a video of the noise if that would be better than my written sound effect.

Thanks for helping me!
Old 03-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Tiff,

Good move on taking the old specs with you.

If the connections are good at the battery then I would check them at the starter. If the connections are good there you may have to remove the starter for testing.
Did you have the slow crank symptoms before the no start?
Any click clicks...before changing the battery?

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 03-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Lakeland , Florida
Hi,

Thanks! I redo old houses so taking a bad part at least gets me a new part even if I need to figure out how to make it work!

I am reading the manual to try and find the starter. No luck yet. Once I discover its location I will try to get it out to take to the auto parts man for testing or if the manual is detailed enough I ill try and see if I can test with my multimeter.

Tiffany
Old 03-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Be sure the connection of the ground cable to the MH is clean and tight

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Lakeland , Florida
Hi,

One question I didn't answer of Robert's that is probably really important.

The Argosy sat over the winter and being new to older engines we kept the shore batteries charged, but did not keep the engine battery charged. It was a wet, chilly (I know, I know, it's relative) Florida winter. Could the sitting and weather have rotted something that would cause the issue?

Once we resolve the issue the plan is to drive the Argosy to the grocery store at least once a month.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 03-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
A lot of times it's just loose or corroded connections at the battery or starter, or the ground strap could be loose. Trace your negative battery cable to where it bolts to the frame or chassis and make sure its tight, and when you find the starter check all electrical connections. In a few vehicles I have had the starter solenoid went on the fritz, and sometimes a firm tap on the side of the solenoid with a light hammer or even a large screwdriver can knock the crud loose and allow you to get running again. If you do this the first thing you should do if it starts is drive it to a shop where they can test the starter and alternator.
Judging from your written sound effects, I think you have a bad connection. The engine should spin pretty fast with a fresh battery in it.
Best of luck,

Rich the Viking
Old 03-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffany_m1 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for all your help!
Your going in a good direction now...ain't this place great!!!

If you have a set of jumper cables...try connecting the neg from the battery to a good ground on the engine..worth a try.

Good luck!!

RLC

RLC
Old 03-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Lakeland , Florida
This place is great! I have lurked a lot in the past, but this is the first time I have asked questions. I can't wait until this afternoon when I can go out and try all these suggestions!
Old 03-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Pittsford , Michigan
Hi,
Just to add a couple of idea to the things that have already been suggested. I have been driving old stuff all my life. I always try to start simple stuff first. Have you tried jumping the MH with another vehicle? Maybe the new battery is not completely charged.

Did you clean the battery cable end that connect to the battery, with a wire brush until they were shiny, before you hooked up the new battery?

Is the rubber coating on the battery cables brittle, cracked or missing? Can you see any green?

Follow the negative cable to were it bolts to the frame. Is the connection tight? Is there any green anywhere on the cables or connections? Green is a sign of corrosion. If so, clean the connection with a wire brush or replace the cable if needed.

Follow the positive cable from the battery down. It connects to the solenoid. The solenoid is either mounted top of the starter or on the firewall. If it is mounted on the firewall another cable will leave the solenoid and go to the starter. As before look for loose or green connections.

I hope this helps. Good luck, Bill
"part of the "Forbidden Wheels Clubhouse Recon Team"

"Toast is a tool. It ain't Breakfast!"
Airdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:56 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
To back up a little "The engine now tries to start, but will not turn over."
What do you mean, turns and will not fire or turns too slow"
If the engine is turning fast enough from the starter, check spark first at the plugs. Air and fuel are the only things left after that.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:44 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Fuel? zz
Old 03-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Lakeland , Florida
Hi,

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I was able to get the Argosy started with starter fluid in the carburetor. The engine will run, but it is making a loud clunking noise. We aren't sure if the problem is the gas or maybe a problem with a spark plug? We are working on the motorhome every night to try and figure out the problem. Tonight my plan is to siphon some gas and check if the color and smell are off.

Tiffany

Tags
battery