Old 03-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Tiff,

Glad you got it started!! Is the engine running smooth or is it shaking or bucking like it has a mis-fire?

If the noise sounds like it is coming from low and towards the rear of the motor it may be a cracked flex plate,(the plate is attached to the front of the transmission, the starter engages a gear on the outer edge of the plate).
It usually is a rattling sound that will change or go away with engine speed.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
This could be as simple as old fuel. If it sat all winter with no fuel preservative added it could be just crappy fuel. That will make it run terrible once you got it started. I would look at getting some fresh fuel and cleaning the carb, as it could be all gummed up.
Tom

Old 03-18-2010, 10:37 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Pittsford , Michigan
Congratulations, on getting it running. I not sure what your clucking noise sounds like from here. But, a 77 should have vacuum advance. The vacuum advance is on the side of the distributor and advances the timing as the motor speeds up. There is a vacuum line (small black rubber hose) that runs from the bottom of the carburetor to the vacuum advance on the side of the distributor. As vehicles get older the rubber lines will crack or loose there tension. Look at the line for cracks and if it is long enough, cut an inch or so off of each end and hook it up again. If the Vacuum advance does not advance the timing, the motor will run very rough and make quite a bit of noise.

You were not sure what where the starter was eairlier, so if you follow the spark plug wires up from the motor, they will all meet at the distributor. The vacuum advance is coned shape and will come off of the metal base below the black plastic cap. Good luck, I'm rooting for you from a distance.
Bill
"part of the "Forbidden Wheels Clubhouse Recon Team"

"Toast is a tool. It ain't Breakfast!"
Airdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Lakeland , Florida
Smile I think it has bad gas

Hi,

Thanks for the help and encouragement!

Today we siphoned a little gas out of the Argosy and it is pretty dark. We tried to siphon the Toyota next, for comparison, but couldn't get the siphoning tube far enough into the tank so instead we went to the gas station and put a little gas in a gas can to see what new gas looks like and it is very different. I have an analogy, but I probably shouldn't share it.

I have been told that old gas can be used in a gas mower (mine is one of those rechargeable babies or I would be in business!) so I have called a friend's daughter's boyfriend to see if he can use it in for his landscaping business. I am waiting to hear back. If Mr. Landscaper does want the gas I will be draining the Argosy and making trips to the dump starting tomorrow.

Tiffany
Old 03-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
A common problem with old gas is water condensation. You can get fuel dryer from STP to help evaporate the water out of the fuel, but I still wouldn't use it in the Arrrg.
It may make it useable in a mower or tiller though.

Happy Friday!

Rich the Viking
Old 03-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #20
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The loud clunking bothers me--a lot. It could be a stuck intake valve, a worn cam lobe, a cracked or broken flywheel, loose torque converter bolts, or even a connecting rod bearing. Then again, it could be just some really bad gas causing some really bad preignition.
After you dump the old gas and put fresh gas in the tank, please tell us if it runs better, and if that noise goes away.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Lakeland , Florida
Seems like the gas

The night we pumped a little gas out of the Argosy, to compare it in color and smell to new gas, we dumped the gallon of Argosy gas into our Toyota. Next time we started the Toyota it sputtered and smelled bad (for a very short period of time) even with such a small percentage of Argosy gas so our current hypothesis is that the gas in the Argosy is the problem.

No call from Mr. Landscaper so we started pumping the gas out tonight and my plan is to take it to the hazardous waste drop off site in my county starting tomorrow. Hoping we found the underlying issue, but being a logical person I am not yet ready to say my theory is correct. I do feel I am getting closer to a resolution which feels great.

Thanks everyone for your advice and help. Hopefully the problem is solved and I get my Argosy ready for some camping!

Tiffany
Old 03-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #22
Retired and Retreaded

1972 26' Argosy 26
1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Send a message via Yahoo to edmatlock
You may have spun a bearing?????
Old 03-25-2010, 08:49 PM   #23
Retired and Retreaded

1972 26' Argosy 26
1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Send a message via Yahoo to edmatlock
I have done it on a chevy motor that had been sitting and with a low battery
Old 03-25-2010, 11:43 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It could be pre ignition knock from the bad fuel. Try to get as much fuel out of the tank as possible before putting fresh fuel in. Do you know what engine is in this rig? Ford, Chevy, Dodge. If you said, I missed it. When you get it running, don't over rev the engine. You could throw a rod or spin a bearing. Hopefully you haven't done that already.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:36 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Lakeland , Florida
It is a Chevy 454

Hi,

The Argosy has a Chevy 454.

I am not running the engine until I get out as much gas as possible. When the Argosy was running I think the noise I heard was a misfire. I admit to being clueless when it comes to engines, but I can typically tell where a noise is coming from and this noise sounded like it was coming from where the pistons are. Is this where a misfire happens?

Once I can get the engine running my plan is to top off the transmission fluid, figure out why there is anti-freeze on the front bumper, change the oil, and check the brake fluid so I have more to do, but getting the engine running better is my main priority right now.

Tiffany

Thanks,
Tiffany
Old 03-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffany_m1 View Post
Hi,

The Argosy has a Chevy 454.

I am not running the engine until I get out as much gas as possible. When the Argosy was running I think the noise I heard was a misfire. I admit to being clueless when it comes to engines, but I can typically tell where a noise is coming from and this noise sounded like it was coming from where the pistons are. Is this where a misfire happens?
If this occurred while you were using starting fluid then it is understandable. Starting fluid will cause an engine to "knock" badly because it is a lot more volatile than gasoline. You don't want to run an engine very long on starter fluid. You can do a lot of damage doing so. So if you were using starting fluid you probably have the reason for your noise. Odds are the sounds won't be there once its running on gasoline. One other tip for starter fluid. Do NOT spray it into the carburetor until you turn the ignition key on and have the engine cranking. In other words don't spray the starter fluid in and then crank the engine over. Start cranking and then start spraying.

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
If it didn't misfire before it sat for awhile that should narrow it down. As mentioned above with bad gas there's a good chance your carberator is gummed up somewhat. Say the new gas gets it running but misfiring I'd be sure to get some Barryman's carb cleaner and spray carb good while engine is running then I'd put a new set of spark plugs in it. If your not sure on firing order just change one plug at a time.

Tags
battery