Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Groveland , California
New 454engine, Edelbrock EFI, 4l80E w/electronic control

I am almost finished with the installation of a new 'Goodwrench" crate 454, Edelbrock Multiport EFI, and a fourspeed 4L80E trans from PACT with HGM electronic controller. I've learned so much by this point. If any one is seriously considering or wanting to do the same or similarly stupid thing I have some tips.
1) Rebuild the old 454 with a new cam and trick out the pistons and heads, polish and port, set up the compression for the EFI and use of 87 octane. I thought the new engine would be an improvement withn the single rear seal rather than the split seal - we'll see over time. There were a lot of minor modifications to the motor home that I din't expect when I started.
2)Make a new rear transmission support crossmember from the get go - don't attempt to use the old support - it just wasted time and didn't save any money.
3) I haves lots of other tips and explations as to why I made the choices and decisions I have made. Not that my learning curve could in any way save anyone from going off and making equally inept choices of their own. I just may be able to point you in another wrong direction.

Oh yes, I have a 1987 325 Limited that I've spent aproximately 2-2.5 times it's current worth. It has 52K miles. But we love it and plan to leave it to our children to dipose of in the estate sale.
COUCH2TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I just got finished installing a 4I80e in my 'Silver Bullet' I had some trials and tribulation in doing so my self. I had already installed EFI and the new transmission is controlled by a TCI controller. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159...one-75774.html
A $3500 job turned into a $6100 job because I bought a bad 4L80e and had to get it rebuilt.
My next BIG mod will be a roller cam, with heads, rings, bearing, maybe a long stroke kit, high output oil pump, and high output waterpump. In other works, rebuild the engine.
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
COUCH2TH

Love your comments - especially your last paragraph!

Maybe you could boil it down to a bumper sticker...such as;

" This Toy will be left to our Kids, so
they can sell it at the Estate Sale!"
Old 09-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Awesome info Couch, so thanks for sharing!
I would LOVE to see pictures and a thread on your story and progress.
I also believe that our Classics are an Heirloom!

In my storage, is a 454 motor, TH400 Trans, and TBI setup from a 1990 Suburban. Also I have an Eagle stroker crank and rods.
I planned to put it in my '73 Blazer, but I think I will sit on it.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
I know I'm crazy, but I see these TDI's and DI Diesels that Audi and Mercedes are putting into their SUV's. Know that I would dump at TON of money in buying an engine from either manufacturer, but has anyone looked at the torque these little beasts put out? And all from a V-6 no less? Grant you, the horsepower is kinda on the low side, but it's the torque that gets you moving, and it seems that both V-6 turbo diesels have well over 400lb-ft of torque. Maybe when I'm ready to move from the home without wheels, into the home with wheels, I'll be able to find one of these little gems sitting in a junkyard.....
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote