Old 02-12-2006, 05:32 PM   #71
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99

I suspect this is the basis for the adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Of course the situation would/will be different when there are signs of imminent failure.
I have lost count of the number of times I have replaced something, only to have the part next to it immediately fail. That is why, when you go to many repair shops, you will get a grocery list of things to replace, because that is what has happened to them. They feel it is better if you are expecting all the replacements in advance, rather than one at a time, as they fail, with multiple phone calls from the garage.

Old 02-12-2006, 06:01 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Overlander63,
Please explain something to me. The temp sending unit is in the head or the block and is going to give me a reading of the temperature of the coolant in the waterjacket. How do you use an infrared thermometer to validate the reading of the temperature gauge?

When I had the radiator core replaced, I started getting higher readings so I took it back to the shop that did the radiator. The owner looked at it and got out his infrared thermometer and read the upper and lower tanks on the radiator, he told me that it was reading 175- 180 and I couldn't trust the 210 reading on my gauge. I never got him to explain why with a new radiator core I was getting a higher reading.

But my question is still what should the correlation be between the reading you get on the upper radiator tank and the reading you get from a sensor in the waterjacket.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:49 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
...On the drive home the temp gauge read between 200 and 220 which is much higher than it used to read, and high enough to cause concern. I was watching my oil temp and it was never elevated. Remember we just completed a 6000 plus mile tirp and I never had a reading above 210 and usually it would read between 190 and 200....Anyone know a fool proof way to validate a temprature gauge reading?
210 to 220 degrees is normal on my 345 - I don't know just what the temp setting is on the thermostat, but, after studing the various posts here in the Forums, many members are normally seeing around 215 degrees. One of the things that reassures me is that the temp gauge only fluctuates about 5 degrees from mountain downhill driving to West Texas uphill desert pulls.

Rest assured that your system will not "boil over" - even at "0" psi a 50/50 glycol mix will not boil until 223 degrees is reached, and at 15 psi that temp goes up to 262 degrees. Pure water will not boil at 15 psi until 250 degrees is reached.

Validate your guage by taking the actual guage out, insert the gauge (with wire extension - a few extra feet of wire on a voltage/resistance sender should not hurt) into a container of "boiling" water - at 212 degrees, you should see between 210 and 215 on the gauge in the dash.

Luck.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:55 PM   #74
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
I have lost count of the number of times I have replaced something, only to have the part next to it immediately fail.
That sounds like my entire motorhome.

For another reference - mine runs between 195 and 205 most of the time.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:38 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Temp Gauge Update.

Well, it would appear that I now have a temperature gauge which correlates in a meaningful way with the actual temperature. And an engine that is running at the proper temperatures.

To review, when I purchased the MH in June of 2004 the temp gauge would generally run at about 195, but would shoot up to 215 when climbing hills, 220 in traffic in hot weather. I could hear the fan clutch and fan engage at about 210. I added some waterwetter and it seemed to maybe run a little cooler.

After a cross country trip and spending lots of time worrying (but no evident overheating or boiling over), I decided to have the radiator checked out. Had the radiator re-cored and had the water pump, fan clutch and thermostat checked out. Drove it home and it actually ran a little hotter (according to the temp gauge). I took it back and they measured the temperature with an infrared thermometer and read 170-175 while the gauge was running 200-210. I drove it another 10,000 miles always stressing but never having a heat related problem. During this time I finally found a shop which seemed to have competent mechanics who weren't afraid to work on a motorhome of a pre computer, carbureted engine. I asked them to investigate the temp gauge/engine temp and either fix the cooling or the temp gauge. They concluded that I needed a new sending unit and tried to cross reference some numbers to find the correct sending unit. They installed one and driving home over some pretty steep grades, the gauge shot up to 225. The transmission temp never moved so I didn't believe the temp gauge. Took it back, they agreed it wasn't working right and I was looking at either replacing the gauge and the sending unit with something else or locating a proper sending unit (they had no sources for Teleflex). I contacted Teleflex tech support and they directed me to http://www.custominstrumentpanels.com/index.html. I called and ordered and eventually received the proper sending unit. As the shop was buttoning up after installing the sending unit, they noticed that you could wiggle the fan blades in and out by about an inch. Time for a new water pump. Fan clutch seemed loose, so it was also replaced.

I now run at 180-185. Never yet above 195 even when on a long grades at 4000 feet towing our Scion. We haven't had any hot weather but I'm pretty sure I have this licked - Finally.

Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
Old 04-19-2006, 04:59 PM   #76
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Temperature Control

Guy,

Your story sounds so familiar to my experiences with my 370. Even though it's a Ford 460, the overall story is almost identical to yours. Before I had it, my brother spent enormous sums of money replacing the radiator, adding twin electric cooling fans, and all kinds of other tweaking, only to finally replace the temperature gage and sensor with a VDO unit. It's geared so low (5.29) that it does heat up a little too much over 60 mph, but after I changed the thermostat to a 160 degree, added Water Wetter, and switched to synthetic oil (not sure if the Water Wetter and synthetic had any effect since I did all 3 things at the same time), the highway running temps are now consistently between 175 and 195 - with the cooling fan kicking in with anything above 195. From this experience, I suggest anyone running unusual temps might try the gage/sensor first, perhaps, followed by a lower thermostat - assuming that hadn't already been done. My coach has only 17K miles, so the fan, water pump, and such are still new enough to not be the first things checked.

Thanks for the saga. I think it's helpful to read these conclusions from folks who have been all the way through a problem.

Best,
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:44 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I guess the gauge in mine is off but is consistently reads 160-180 in summer with 50/50 mix and the coolant additive. Towing my Saturn does not seem to effect it much. When temps were in the high 90's on a mountain trip thru the Blue Ridge we never hit over 180 on the gauge and the fan would come on at that point to kick it back to 160.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:03 PM   #78
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
I called and ordered and eventually received the proper sending unit.
Guy,
You don't happen to have the part number for the correct gauge do you?
Old 04-20-2006, 04:33 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Steven,
I didn't replace the Temp Gauge, just the sender. That number is:
SND5232-011, 100-320F(90) ohm 1/2" npt.

I got this from http://www.custominstrumentpanels.com/index.html.

I have also found Teleflex Tech Support to be helpful:

Joe Federsel
Teleflex Electrical
Sarasota, Florida
Ph. 941.907.1000 ext 8222
Fax 941.907.1030
jfedersel@tflx.com

Old 04-21-2006, 07:43 AM   #80
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Thank you. I've been wondering about my senders, water temp and low coolant in particular.

Love that Airstream custom dash at custom intrument panel
Old 04-21-2008, 08:18 PM   #81
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Hello everyone,
We are currently on the homeward leg of our 6000+ mile trip from Northern California to Puerto Peņasco, MX and New Orleans, LA.

We're in Arlington, TX. The 454 in our 84 310 Limited MH is begining to miss at high RPM and has become very difficult to start the first time in the morning. I'd like to have it looked at before we head out.

I'm looking for recommendations for a competent, fair, mechanic who, might be able to squeeze us in on Monday, Jan 21, 2006. Any ideas? I'm not broken down (yet) so I could also take it to someone located west of here.
In case anyone is looking for a mechanic in Dallas.

Jake, at the Mockingbird Mobil Station (NE corner of Mockingbird Lane and Skillman, 75206; NE Dallas just off of 75/Central Expressway). Just moved away and am sorry to leave one of the better mechanics still working. If he can do it, he'll tell you. Yes, there is room for a motorhome in front of two of the four service bays.

Ask for service manager, Gary.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote