Old 01-31-2006, 05:24 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Yep, previously I have checked to see that the choke flap is closing. It was. I didn't check it today because I didn't really need to move the rig, I was just testing to see if it would start in th cold. I did check it in Gila Bend and it seemed to function correctly.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:36 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
You win the cigar

Tim, Terry, and Steven. Spoke with the shop today, they said the choke wasn't closing at all. I don't have the MH back yet so can not report 100% success.

I'm sure this is an intermittent/ progressive condition since previously I have observed the choke plate to be closed AND when I started it up to drive it to the mechanic it was clear that the choke was stuck on, it was pouring out black smoke and I couldn't rev it beyond 3000 RPM out of gear. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to drive it. Eventually the choke opened and it ran fine then.

Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
Old 02-08-2006, 06:45 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Cigar

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99
Tim, Terry, and Steven. Spoke with the shop today, they said the choke wasn't closing at all. I don't have the MH back yet so can not report 100% success.

I'm sure this is an intermittent/ progressive condition since previously I have observed the choke plate to be closed AND when I started it up to drive it to the mechanic it was clear that the choke was stuck on, it was pouring out black smoke and I couldn't rev it beyond 3000 RPM out of gear. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to drive it. Eventually the choke opened and it ran fine then.

Guy,
Good to hear this thing appears to finally be solved . I am quite flattered to be in such elite company as Terry and Steven. Sometimes it pays to be old enough to have worked on carbs and such before everything went to computerized stuff. I was beginning to wonder what had happened about this. Please keep us posted after you get it back. Meanwhile, I need to find someone who smokes cigars, so I can give mine away .
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:52 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Tim,
There are no adverse health effects from these virtual cigars. In fact there are not effect at all except the warm glow one gets from solving a puzzle

Old 02-08-2006, 07:10 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Virtual Cigars

Quote:
Tim,
There are no adverse health effects from these virtual cigars. In fact there are not effect at all except the warm glow one gets from solving a puzzle
I'm sure someone will come out with a study that virtual cigars are bad for you . In the meantime, I'm really hopeful this will solve your problems. That will give me a warm glow .
AIR # 5648
Old 02-09-2006, 07:50 PM   #62
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
guy....good to hear it was something simple. Just remember...it's about the experience. I always say that to myself when I'm camping in the parking of of a parts store . Of course my wife stopped buying it about a year ago.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:37 PM   #63
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
We are glad we could help. Call us if you need us.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:39 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
I, too, subscribe to the valuable experience theory but in this case I'm not sure what I learned.

But I have no real complaints, 30,000 miles and few show stopping problems. Since neither my wife nor I are working, having to spend some unscheduled time fixing something is not a big stress. I do, however, spend alot of time worring about something big failing when we are on the road. Putting us in either an unsafe situation, or needing a new engine when we are thousands of miles from home.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:24 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

wasco , Oregon
Guy--So tell me, with 105,000 miles on the Ag Slug and your plan to put an additional 10,000 or more miles on it each year, are you considering changing the engine before the next 10,000 mi.? Do you know if it has had a previous overhaul or is origional?

I guess I am just curious---it would be a lot more fun NOT to have to change one on the road if it can be avoided. I would much prefer a planed transplant. It is a source of worry while on the traveling, isn't it?

Bob of Bob and Molly
Old 02-12-2006, 04:46 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Well I picked up the Silver Slug on Friday. It was late and dark by the time we got home so I just left the Slug in the driveway with the Scion hooked up. Saturday morning when it was in the 30s, I went out to unhook and move the Slug to its normal spot. It started promptly and only died once while warming up. I'd say THAT problem is gone for now.

While it was in the shop I asked them to check the temp gauge. They concluded it needed a new sending unit and installed one. On the drive home the temp gauge read between 200 and 220 which is much higher than it used to read, and high enough to cause concern. I was watching my oil temp and it was never elevated. Remember we just completed a 6000 plus mile tirp and I never had a reading above 210 and usually it would read between 190 and 200.

So guess I'll have to ask them if they checked the temp gauge after they replaced the sender. If it's really running this hot, I need to find out why. It doesn't act like a hot engine and it doesn't seem particularly hot when I stop. I think it is a gauge problem. Anyone know a fool proof way to validate a temprature gauge reading?

Old 02-12-2006, 04:58 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
wascobob,

I have considered a prophylactic engine change but then I think about the component failure curve. When you place a new part into service the likelihood of failure goes UP to a peak and the declines fairly rapidly to a low value from which it steadily grows while the component wears.

I suspect this is the basis for the adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Of course the situation would/will be different when there are signs of imminent failure.

Old 02-12-2006, 04:58 PM   #68
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I have a laser-guided infrared thermometer. They are kind of pricey, but the way it works is, you put the little red dot on what you want to have a temp reading of, and read the LCD display.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:02 PM   #69
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Well I picked up the Silver Slug on Friday. It was late and dark by the time we got home so I just left the Slug in the driveway with the Scion hooked up. Saturday morning when it was in the 30s, I went out to unhook and move the Slug to its normal spot. It started promptly and only died once while warming up. I'd say THAT problem is gone for now.

While it was in the shop I asked them to check the temp gage. They concluded it needed a new sending unit and installed one. On the drive home the temp gage read between 200 and 220 which is much higher than it used to read, and high enough to cause concern. I was watching my oil temp and it was never elevated. Remember we just completed a 6000 plus mile tirp and I never had a reading above 210 and usually it would read between 190 and 200.

So guess I'll have to ask them if they checked the temp gage after they replaced the sender. If it's really running this hot, I need to find out why. It doesn't act like a hot engine and it doesn't seem particularly hot when I stop. I think it is a gage problem. Anyone know a fool proof way to validate a temperature gage reading?

Guy,

My brother went through this high temperature thing with the 370 I now have. His readings went up when he had a sender replaced, and then a new gage. Frankly, I'm a little surprised you can routinely run at 190-200, although I get that when I'm not under a load, not running AC, and the outside temps are cool. Since you have no symptoms of overheating, and the "problem" didn't develop until you made the changes, it certainly sounds like you don't really have a problem. All gages are a little different, but I realize that's not much comfort. I don't know if there's a fool proof way to validate a temp gage, but someone on the forum must.

Good luck,
AIR # 5648
Old 02-12-2006, 05:05 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

Quote:

While it was in the shop I asked them to check the temp gauge. They concluded it needed a new sending unit and installed one. On the drive home the temp gauge read between 200 and 220 which is much higher than it used to read, and high enough to cause concern. I was watching my oil temp and it was never elevated. Remember we just completed a 6000 plus mile tirp and I never had a reading above 210 and usually it would read between 190 and 200.

So guess I'll have to ask them if they checked the temp gauge after they replaced the sender. If it's really running this hot, I need to find out why. It doesn't act like a hot engine and it doesn't seem particularly hot when I stop. I think it is a gauge problem. Anyone know a fool proof way to validate a temprature gauge reading?
...........Install a quality mechanical gauge with a thermocouple sending unit which should eliminate those electrical inconsistencies that can happen twixt sending unit and gauge . r66