Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2004, 12:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Lansing , Michigan
need a new carb-HELP!!!!

Shade tree mechanic says I need a new carb. What is the best one for a '76 28 ft MH with the 454? How about the EB with electric choke and 750 cfm? any and all help would be appreciated. What is everyone's preference? Thanks!!!!!!
tandemfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 01:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Check this thread out it has your answer.http://www.airforums.com/forum...ight=EDELBROCK

I guess I should ask, has the old one been cleaned well? New fuel filters also?
Makes a big difference.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 02:15 PM   #3
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
have you considered a rebuild on your stock carb? I rebuilt mine and changed all of the fuel filters and it was like new motorhome. All in all it cost less than $100 and took about four hours. A clean, tuned, working QJet is pretty hard to beat.

Read about it here: http://www.airforums.com/forum...t=rebuild+QJet

If you just need to completely replace yours then you could start at Summit Racing or Jegs (both have online catalogs www.summitracing.com and www.jegs.com).
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 06:51 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Carb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
have you considered a rebuild on your stock carb? I rebuilt mine and changed all of the fuel filters and it was like new motorhome. All in all it cost less than $100 and took about four hours. A clean, tuned, working QJet is pretty hard to beat.

Read about it here: http://www.airforums.com/forum...t=rebuild+QJet

If you just need to completely replace yours then you could start at Summit Racing or Jegs (both have online catalogs www.summitracing.com and www.jegs.com).
Tfish,
It has been my experance over the years, that most of the time, rebuilding your old carb.(providing it is the origional AND correct one) is better than a "rebuilt" one at the auto stores.
G.M. produced a gazillion models of "Q" jets, each one just a little different for each special application.
A rebuilt "will Fit" "Q" jet from the auto stores will most times work, BUT it lacks the special differances specific to the applicable models.
Unless yours is physically worn out or damaged. it is almost always better to put a simple kit in it.
I wish I had a Nickel for all the carbs. that were replaced with a "rebuilt" that didn't need to be.
A Mechanic can replace a carb quickly.
Taking the time to clean and put in a "jiffy kit" in the origional one just don't make as much money, and takes longer.
If you "must" replace your carb, either a new GM factory carb ($$$$) or Edelbrock makes a good replacement one.
Edelbrock bases theirs on the old "carter" AFB carb. I found those to be good carbs.

ol'George
George is offline   Reply With Quote