Old 11-22-2009, 08:28 AM   #15
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Yes, rebuild yours local, then you have someone face to face if there's a problem.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Great thanks for all of the replies. Very good info. I have done some checking on the thread about engines. Jasper so far so good.I don't know the history if my engine other than what I have found since I bought it.It has been really HOT. also full of stopleak.Am going back in with as much new stuff as I can now. things that would be difficult to get to later.water pump alternator looks good and was charging,power steering and brake? pump was working will get radiator recored or new whicherever works out better or is that the same thing seems like anew radiator fo a 77 wouldn't be easy to get. also going for new oil cooler and tranny cooler both cool through the radiator also but had the extra coolers . good to be cool.new heater core too since have no idea if the old one works also full of stop leak any way.motor mounts good idea hadn't thought of those yet also any other rubber parts I can get at.
I do have some experiance replacing engines in several different vehicles never as primary always helping but I have apretty good understanding of what is going on.I am really surprised at the room there is on the Argosy to get at the engine.It is almost ready to come out .
I have seen the air intake on coombes mh also have one on sob mh i thinkthey are an excellant idea. I am goin to do as much as I can but I need to have it running pretty soon my situation will be changing after the first of the year .
I was calling back napa to see why theirs was so cheap I think from all the posts and talking to the Jasper people I know Not going to go there!
So far Jasper seems to be winning out for me I can get engine and tranny delivered to my door ,60 miles from town, they pick up the core and no charge .That said Monday I will call gm and get info on their engines I have had one other dealing with a gm dealerand thought they were very expensive. Don't know if this will be the same with engine or not but worth checking into.
Not a fan of deisel.
Have checked with alocal shop to r&r new rebuilt engine and tranny would run from 8,000 to 10,000 dollars seemed excessive.I did read a thread a guy got his done for about a thousand dollars labor what adeal.
Thanks again for all the input very helpful.
Jo

Old 11-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #17
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
A friend of mine owns Action Auto in NY, he sells factory rebuilds with warrentees.

If your interested in talking to him. call Phil @ (516) 797-9300

Tell him Bob recommended him, see what he can do???

I think he's around 17-1800

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Jo View Post
Have checked with alocal shop to r&r new rebuilt engine and tranny would run from 8,000 to 10,000 dollars seemed excessive.I did read a thread a guy got his done for about a thousand dollars labor what adeal.
Thanks again for all the input very helpful.
Jo
Holy Moly! Wow, I'd say that's a little excessive! That sounds like a shop that doesn't want the work.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:08 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe View Post
... if I had it to do over I'd have changed the mounting for the alternator. New billet mounts aren't cheap but they sure work well.
Glen,

Could you go into more detail as to why you would change the alternator mounting?

Thanks,

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:35 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Brad, the alternator rotates from the long bolt on the bottom left facing the motor. The tension is supplied by the slotted arm on the right and above.

The slotted bracket is attached to the middle of the block at the a/c compressor mount and seems to me to be a weak link.

Billet brackets are threaded standoffs that can be adjusted much better and will hold over time where the slotted bracket may have a chance to slip.

Those I've seen remind me of a turnbuckle type adjustment that locks once the adjustment is finalized.

The last photo looks like the best for my needs.

Lots of options at Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts l 800-230-3030
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AlternatorBillet.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	91412   Click image for larger version

Name:	low mount bracket.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	91413  

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:39 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Glenn,
You put headers on yourmh right? Will they bolt up to my exhaust pipes or do I have to do the whole system at once?Price for headers?
Jo
Old 11-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Gypsy, not sure what you have for an exhaust system.

The Headman MoHo headers come with reducers to take the collector 3" down to 2.5". Don't be tempted to go all the way back with 3" as this will reduce back pressure too much.

The reducers get welded to your existing system going back to the mufflers.

Some folks have added an H to balance as does Doug Thorley Headers but I've not found this to be required.

I swapped out my mufflers for Flowmaster 70's.

I have a couple of bends in the right hand bank rear pipe so that it can cross over top of the driveshaft and dump out on the road side just ahead of the drive axle with the left side bank.

Of course I added the Chevy bowtie tips just for grins.

Check Summit for prices on Headman and others. I've found Headman the best price and ceramic coated is my choice.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 11-23-2009, 08:18 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Olsburg , Kansas
fuel injection in stead of carb.

I know that replacing engines, etc. can get expensive. What has been said about doing the fuel injection is in my opinion the way to go. I helped a friend put in a newer Corvette engine into a C3 Corvette that originally had a carb. The upgrade into the fuel injection and computer setup gave him an increase in mpg and even performance since his old engine was a low hp.

We used a wiring harness from Painless Wiring and did some changes to meet our needs.

I am with those that say do things locally for various reasons. I understand the OEM engines from any auto maker are very good engines. My youngest son and I used to drag race a 56 Ford Victoria. We put a 429 engine in with a RV cam, other performance upgrades and we really liked the engines performance. I would say to make sure and do the RV cam style. As most things go the more a person increases hp/performance the mpg goes out the window. Might consider a MSD type ignition spark box, etc.

Good luck with your engine swap, I look forward to hearing what you eventually do.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #24
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
There are many good transmission rebuilders all over the country, and many of them belong to what amounts to a "co-op", where one shop will take care of another shop's warranty on your transmission while you're out of town. Maybe a local shop can take care of it, while giving you a nationwide warranty.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:28 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Glenn I was reading through your thread in it you mentioned that both of your headers had cracked within acouple of years of installing.Why ,Do they come with guarantee?I have dual exhaust with what looks like newer mufflers 2 1/2 " pipes I think haven't measured.Headers easy enough to put on with engine installed?
I know fuel injection would probably mean better gas mileage but I think for now not in the budget and not sure I could do the install.
Terry got a quote for a bench build on my tranny $1500. Tranny i have I am not to confident in don't know too much about it It pours fluid out It shifted ok but have only driven it afew blocks also when pulled to where I am 60 miles they left the drive line hooked up.So am thinking a new rebuild would be the way to go.Also pretty sure everything has been real HOT.
Glenn thats not your engine is it?
Jo
Old 11-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Well called the local gm dealer about engine and tranny.H e said ,parts guy, that my engine and tranny were discontinued and they could rebuild them there. Could not give an exact price on tranny rebuild $2000 best guessDidn't get into engine price because am pretty sure I will going with Jasper for Jasper to do my tranny they would have to pick it up and take it back rebuild and bring back didn't ask about time line their price is also around $2000.Also called a local tranny shop they could not even give me a ball park figure said they would need it on their bench?
Any thoughts .
Jo
Old 11-23-2009, 04:23 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Gypsy, no that's not my engine in the photos. LOL!!

Headman do warranty their headers. Not sure what the issues are but remember I put Airstream One to some interesting uses. Like everything in your driveline you want it lined up. I suspect I could have better in my exhaust system.

The Flowmasters are HEAVY!

Headers are easy to hook up after installation of the block in the frame.

I agree with the fuel injection being the last in the budget line item. It's not the best gain of economy for the use we put them to.

The best ideas are to figure your use. How many miles per year? What kind of driving? From there you can calculate your return on investment. I can get mine to pay due to driving about 20-25K a year minimum. Your ROI may vary.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 11-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
There are many good transmission rebuilders all over the country, and many of them belong to what amounts to a "co-op", where one shop will take care of another shop's warranty on your transmission while you're out of town. Maybe a local shop can take care of it, while giving you a nationwide warranty.
Terry hit on a VERY important issue here. I've got a real long and frustrating story I could tell about using a local shop that is not part of the ATRA (Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association) co-op but I don't have the time or energy to type out a 100 page dissertation .

Bottom line is you definitely get what you pay for when it comes to quality and warranty on rebuilt transmissions. We tried to save money and it ended up costing us a lot more in the end.

So heed Terry's advice .

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote