Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2004, 01:30 PM   #1
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Motorhome Generator

My 1984 345 Motorhome has a Kohler 7000 Watt Generator. I have replaced the points, fuel filters, sparkplugs and airfilter. The generator will run fine, with no load at 114.9 volts and with the load of one air conditioner at 109.9 volts. When I try to start the other air conditioner the voltage drops below 100 volts and the generator surges and stalls out. I have adjusted the governor sensitivity and speed control with no change, also the carburetor idle and main fuel mixture screws for the best setting. Any suggestions what to try next.
Thanks,

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 02:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Dangerously Low Voltage

Gunter:

You might want to check out this thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ight=onan+carb

Be careful with the AC's - running with low voltage (<110 volts) will cause premature compressor failure.

In hindsight, I should have replaced my carb instead of attempting a rebuild (still don't know why the carb rebuild didn't work).

I still have a problem with the generator dying after a half hour or so of run time. Right now I suspect sticking valves or a fuel feed problem.

PeterH fixed his problem by installing a new water cooled Honda.

Keep us posted.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1994 36' Classic 36
Cincinnati , Ohio
Hello,

I had a similar issue on mime. Tried everything. The dealer was telling me: change the carburator. I did it. Now it is working fine, including the two units. $1000 cost, including labor. Brand new carb. Not worth retrofitting. I got it this week end!!!!!

Good luck.

By the way, I have just posted a thread on "silent generator". Are you knowlegeable?
Thanks.
philippes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH View Post

PeterH fixed his problem by installing a new water cooled Honda.

I have a water cooled Honda EV6010 in my MH which was installed by the PO. I am satisfied with it but I don't think it is particularly quiet. I have tried to get parts/service from Honda Power Equipment dealers, most of them can not find the parts book for it. Seems like they haven't sold that many. I understand that the parts/support center is pretty good although I have never called them.

I know Glenn Comb installed one, he didn't seem all that enthusiastic.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote