Old 12-02-2003, 08:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
As Alan doeth, so doeth I. (The Shakespeare festival in Ashland, OR is still in my head). I take my MH out as often as I can. My kids love it, so we take it mostly everywhere in town. It's actually confortable to sit in it in the lot and have them do the shopping!

This trip I just took to WA showed me that this engine, at 56.5K is very strong. The only thing was I had to add oil evry 400 miles. It has a leak at the pressure fitting at the oil cooler.

Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 01:55 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
I am in the process of replacing my 454 with a 502. The reason is heat and lack of use. In many cases it is over heating and the Banks system will help in that case. If your fan is coming on a lot you know that the engine is running warm. There is not enough room in the dog house to cool the engine. Therefore there is heat build up.
The other one is running the engine too lean. This can be caused by having a leak in the intake manifold or problems with the carburetor. The engines that are not used enough tend to have the carburetor gunk up. This causes them to run to lean and you end up with scored cylinder walls, pistons and valve problems. The same thing caused by intake manifold. There real reason is that they are old without enough use. If you have your carburetor rebuild and check the manifold for leaks it will help the problem. You are really fighting age and not enough use but not mileage.

jfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 05:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
I'm looking for a new 454 for my unit. under some circumstances several rebuilders will not warrant a rebuild if installed in a motor home. recon is a big one if you don't buy a mh engine or their fleet truck motor the warranty is not valid. you get no warranty for their light truck and auto engines. if installed in a motor home. Groom engines will not sell you a 454 for a motor home. one of the local rebuilders here will re build my motor if it is a four bolt main and give a warranty. no warranty at all for two bolt main motors installed in a motor home. i think i have a two bolt main motor.
the recon motor is run on a dyno and you get a fact sheet , not sure what that is worth other than you wont have to worry about starting a dry motor. should still have some oil from the dyno run on the bearings.
my motor has 75k on it. it did get run hot two years ago , couldnt be avoided belts came off in an area with no curbs. didnt get extreamley hot. i did start to get a small amount of blow by and that was when i was doing 70mph doesnt appear to blow by if i stay below 65.
last trip i drove from huntsville to sarasota fl and back to valdosta ga no blow by. got in the crazy traffic and strated to drive with the traffic and from the ga /fl line to the ga/al line i used a quart of oil some was in the air filter pan.
time to do something....
2007 chevrolet 2500 duramax 6.6
allison 6 speed
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 10:47 PM   #18
1981 28' excella motorhom
Blue Springs , Missouri
Long time wrench says it's the heat

I've left hobby cars and spare engines sit for years without problems.

The air flow is poor to the radiator.
The engine oil cooler is MOUNTED OVER THE RADIATOR!!

What I did to fix.
Moved and installed new engine oil cooler to the left, passenger side, away from the radiator. Installed tranny oil cooler. Installed a nice electric fan to blow over these coolers. Installed hedman hedders (summit racing) and flow mastrs to get that hot exhaust away from the engine and under the chasis.

REsults: Dropped engine temperature from 220+ TO 180 at load (thermostat 180). Temp drops to 165 if I'm just sitting or coasting along and forget to turn the fan off.

Also installed an after market drain plug for the tranny oil pan (summit racing again) and drain and top off the tranny oil every engine oil change. Cheap insurance. Been doing that for all my automatics for years and have never had to replace one. Use single weight eng oil for summer use.
IPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 07:01 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member
My 1990 Suburban 7.4L has 164,000 mi. and is running strong. No rebuild. Use it exclusively for towing my 31 ft. Airstream. Just keep speed under 60 mph, and change oil every 3K.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:48 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member
photos of the 454 out

I have photos of the engine out. I was droped out the bottom. They are too big to post. If anyone want them please email me and I will send them. I hope to have the 502 running this weekend. I can't wait to see how it does compaired with the 454.

jfuller is offline   Reply With Quote