Old 11-17-2004, 12:49 PM   #15
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
If you think about it $2134.00 for a GM factory crate long block with a warrantee is a great deal. When you consider the price for replacement of other "systems" like AC units, refers and a generator repowering an older motorhome for another 100K miles is a good investment.

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 01:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Here is the parallel thread on RV.NET (Open Roads Forum).

I thought the replacement with a 8.1 engine was interesting. Anyone else done that?

ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 02:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
502 Carbureted....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985air345
.....I thought the replacement with a 8.1 engine was interesting. Anyone else done that?
Haven't done it yet, but have put an awful lot of thought into it.

The 8.1 is a bored and stroked Fuel Injected 454......GM offers a 502 cubic inch engine with almost identical bore and stroke parameters as the 8.1, except they market the 502 as a carbureted prime mover. I plan to stick with a carb and not hassle with the electronics of Fuel Injection. Having thought through the best replacement engine for the 345 relieves me of a lot of pressure should a failure occur while I am on the road. Now, if a failure happens, I just have to find a GM ZZ502 fully constructed carbureted engine. Won't have to balance Carb vs FI vs Diesel. Put the pencil to the actuals - weight immediately eliminated the Diesel - engine weight is almost twice as much as a gasser. The ZZ502 comes with Aluminum heads and an Aluminum water pump - I believe the ZZ version is about 100 lbs lighter than the 502 "Truck Engine" that GM offers as a crate engine - plus, the ZZ502 is COMPLETE - every thing except headers comes in the crate.

It was a tough decision - F.I. does offer potential for fuel economy by monitoring and adjusting the spark advance, transmission shift points, and the combustion mixture.....I have opted to stay with the relatively simple and adjustable mechanical (utilizing my existing tranny) set-up when (not if) the time for an engine change comes about.

BTW - anyone contemplating an engine change out - factor in the "while you are at it" add on charges - an engine change is NOT a time to scrimp on peripherals - change EVERYTHING - alternator, belts, pully bearings, water pump, distributor, fan clutch - AND service the radiator......it's false economy to do anything less.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 06:29 PM   #18
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
BTW - anyone contemplating an engine change out - factor in the "while you are at it" add on charges - an engine change is NOT a time to scrimp on peripherals - change EVERYTHING - alternator, belts, pully bearings, water pump, distributor, fan clutch - AND service the radiator......it's false economy to do anything less.
Dennis,

This was EXACTLY what I did. The only thing that I did not replace was the Distributor. I ended up doing it in a parts store parking lot.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 06:55 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Just a thought,
It comes to mind that the transmission has a vacuum operated modulator valve, connected to the intake manifold.
It has a rubber type diaphram in it, if it is leaking, it will cause trans fluid to be sucked into the intake manifold causing "blue smoke" out of the exhaust. also, trans oil will dissapear.
I would check out things BEFORE I replaced the engine
B.T.D.T.
ol'George