Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2002, 07:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

M/H Windows

Has anyone had any experience with repairing the Motor Home windows? All of mine (cab and side) are very reluctant to slide - open or close. The only one that works well is the "jump-out" window in the back. Can you repair them without drilling rivets and taking the whole thing apart? (can you repair anything on an A/S without drilling out rivets and taking the whole thing apart)
Neal ' 85 345
uncleneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 10:01 PM   #2
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
I found that even after replacing all the seals in the coach windows, I had to take a beltsander to the top and bottom of the slide windows and do some fine tuning to the aluminum frame. It seems that those frames take on a life of their own being exposed to extreme temperatures.
No need to remove the entire window frame for that procedure. Just a screwdriver and a coat hanger is needed.
The driver and passenger side cab windows require establishing a special relationship.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 11:44 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

I'm having the same problem. Can't break through your coded message. Can give us a little more detail. Coat hanger? Special relationship?

Thanks
Ken
kzener40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 06:53 AM   #4
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
In a special relationship, you need to determine the needs of your partner, in order to have a successful interaction.
If the seals of the cab windows were replaced with the black u-channel that has the metal inside, you may have to use a less bulky seal, like a rubber/felt seal.
There is little or no physical adjustment that can be done to the cab windows, other than checking that the metal u-channel does not have any 'narrow' places, caused by physical damage.
One place to inspect is on the bottom track at the beginning of the fixed window. I found that with a new seal that space is very narrow and almost locks the sliding window in place.
In time you learn how to effectively interact with your window, pushing little here and wiggling a little there, without ever using force.
More on the coat hanger later.
AIR #13
Old 07-31-2002, 03:17 PM   #5
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
R&R of windows

This is where the coat hanger comes in play.
I saved this from a previous forum (thanks to Wayne)and added a few items.

Removing the Fixed Window First:
Take out the small screws holding the fixed window (toward the front). Cut any sealant on the top and front side if present using sharp knife. Go inside and slide the window half open. CAREFULLY move the fixed window back. Some careful prying may be needed since this window probably has not ever been moved. Slide back and forth and use a coat hanger until a small spacer plastic piece can be removed from under the fixed window being removed. Once this lift spacer is out, the window can be
lowered and tipped out from the top.
In some cases the u-channel seal needs to be removed on the bottom in order to be able to drop the window low enough to get it out.

Removing the Sliding Window:
Take out the two small screws holding each of the top and bottom gray tracks and lift each end to loosen from frame. Then pull the bottom gray track piece forward and out of the frame. Do the same for the top gray track piece. Then tip window outward and remove.
Special note: be careful window does not slip out unexpected once gray pieces are removed.
If any of the gray plastik pieces are damaged, they can be ordered from Inland RV.
Also, mark each gray piece as (top or bottom) and (front or back) so they go back exactly as you took them apart for each window since the screw holes can be slightly different and there is a inside and out for these gray pieces.
After Windows Removed: Pull old track out of frame, clean frame, and glue in new track. Replace rubber seals and felt on windows after cleaning.

Put windows back together in reverse order of taking apart.
As mentioned before, I had to plane some of my sliding windows with a beltsander to get them to move without binding.
AIR #13
Old 07-31-2002, 07:57 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Thanks, Peter. I'll try that as soon as I get a chance. Neal
uncleneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 01:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
what works really well for me--- take a tube of white petroleum jelly, i use a cooton swap to smear it into the window tracks. Make sure the tracks are clean before this, or clean as you go. The windows will slide a whole lot better if they are lubed this way. I also lube that little white roller at the end of the tracks.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote