Old 11-16-2004, 03:32 PM   #29
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Goodness in the World

The last key to get was my VW key. Broke into my VW today (this was surprisingly easy to do), disabled the alarm, figured out how to remove the door handle and drove the handle over to the local VW dealership.

The parts guy took the handle, went into the back room and ten minutes later emerged with a new key. When I asked him what I owed them he said "it's free, thanks for being a VW customer."

That completely made my day. When was the last time anyone or any company actually said, here you go, this one is on us because we appreciate your business.

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:41 PM   #30

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
When was the last time anyone or any company actually said, here you go, this one is on us because we appreciate your business.
Whoa! Never! Though we frequently do little things for our own customers, I've NEVER had a big company like a car dealership do squat for me.

VW just got bumped up a notch in my book!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 06:14 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Makes you wonder if this is a vW corporate policy or someone in business who was brought up right! About the lost keys, this summer we met a great couple in Montana touring in a BIG NEW Winnebago MH-no luxury spared in that one. Our little Classic AS looked like a pup next to it. Anyway, sometime during the evening, the owner missed his keys and wallet. Looked everywhere. Took the tow vehicle apart. Nearly took the MH apart. "They have to be here!" Haven't we all said it, and isn't it true?--eventually! After agony and terror and confusion, he sat back down in the driver's seat and said he would stay there until he could reconstruct what he had done from the moment he pulled in and parked. He sat there long enough that he investigated every inch of that area, even pulling back the drapes. . .there well hidden on the window ledge were the keys and wallet. Sound bite: Big sigh of relief to match the size of the MH! We carry two sets of AS keys, but all this makes me think another set or two would be good insurance. Glad you worked out the installation
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 06:14 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
That completely made my day. When was the last time anyone or any company actually said, here you go, this one is on us because we appreciate your business.

Zip Dee sent me a new stop latch when the old one came apart at Tyler State Park......

Blue Seas Systems sent me a new key for the macerator pump switch when I lost the original somewhere between Shreveport and Tyler State Park......

Perhaps I should avoid Tyler State Park.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 06:34 PM   #33
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Steph - I HATE throwing in the towel. The sound of my tired old 454 never sounded so sweet. I'll sleep well tonight!
Good you got the lock out, a few more and you will be replacing them like a pro...
I had to drill out all the locks on my trailer (except the door lock) and another Argosy.
Terry.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:06 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Well I've just got to quote CRAZY JOE (from work and he is the craziest person I know)

" I got tired of finding things in the last place I looked so now I always look one more place after I've found things"
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch. Pulled By 2010 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Megacab
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:56 PM   #35
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdair
Well I've just got to quote CRAZY JOE (from work and he is the craziest person I know)

" I got tired of finding things in the last place I looked so now I always look one more place after I've found things"
Well you know his point: they are always in the last place you look because when you find them, you stop looking ... or at least everyone except CRAZY JOE!
Old 11-17-2004, 03:06 PM   #36

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
So, now that you've replaced all the keys you need, that keyring should be turning up anytime!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 03:44 PM   #37
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Steph - I expect it to show up in my pocket anytime now!
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 05:26 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Glad to hear you got it Steven. Now, back to work on that interior!
Old 11-18-2004, 07:38 AM   #39
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Stephen... the last couple of pairs of glasses I've had, I bought with the magnetic mount matching sun glasses. I always carry the sunglasses with me in a case. Last fall I knew exactly where the case was, and when I opened it to use them for the first snow, the glasses werent' there. I had the CASE but no SUNGLASSES!. Boy, was I frustrated with myself. I hunted and hunted and hunted. I opened every drawer in the house. I moved every piece of paper. I practically disassembled all of the cars thinking I might have dropped them. I went ALL WINTER without sunglasses as I was too cheap to replace them and too stuborn to admit I wouldn't find them!

Well, as the winter passed, I just accepted the fact that I'd set them down somewhere never to be seen again. Come spring, on the first nice day when I could abandon my heavy winter togs and opt for lighter outerwear, I put on my lightweight jacket... the first time since last fall... and what did I find in the inside pocket? Yep... my d*mn sunglasses!

Misery loves company, and I just wanted you to know that I've never done that... too!

Roger
Old 11-18-2004, 05:19 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Acworth , Georgia
Wink Key to the Problem

I'm glad you found your keys...I was going to suggest you borrow a metal detector and retrace your steps from whence you came. Drilling would have been a desperate last resort. Good Luck !
Old 11-18-2004, 06:22 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Where

Where did you find them?

Rob
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 07:16 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
I must admit that I haven't read the entire thread here but I too am looking for a set of keys for our trailer. I have another set but it's not the complete set. I'm missing keys for the battery boxes and 2 storage doors. So I have a set for the main door/deadbolt, water and that's about it. If I call the locksmith, won't it make sense to key all the locking compartments the same other than the main door? Is that possible?

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote