Old 11-14-2004, 08:24 PM   #15
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Ooops! Too late Roger! Already have a big ugly hole in the ignition cylinder. This is definately a PITA. Ran down the battery on my cordless in short order. Still won't come out. Looks like it'll take a lot of drilling.

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 08:36 PM   #16
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
Ooops! Too late Roger! Already have a big ugly hole in the ignition cylinder. This is definately a PITA. Ran down the battery on my cordless in short order. Still won't come out. Looks like it'll take a lot of drilling.
A locksmith will cost $50+ to come out and cut a key for you, and he may not be able to, anyway. It isn't that hard to cut, but... I am friends with Murphy, and it is never easy. Your lock cylinder cost around $10 or so, and came with 2 keys for you to lose, so even though it is taking a while, you are still doing okay money-wise. That is why I didn't suggest a locksmith to begin with. Once you finally do get the lock to turn, move it to the "on" position, and push a paper clip into the little hole with the pin in it on the lock, the cylinder will slide out, and you can slide the new one in. Piece of cake.
Terry

Old 11-14-2004, 08:42 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
Crossville , Tennessee
Airstream records

Unless something has changed, Airstream archives your build sheet, on which the key number is noted. They should be able to provide you the info with only a phone call, and GM dealer can cut a key using the number. Course, I guess that's a moot point with the big ugly hole and the run down battery.
jerry
Old 11-14-2004, 09:01 PM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Definitly don't try to just yank it out, because I don't think the new cylinder would fit in then. You might actually damage something.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 09:10 PM   #19
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Sorry Steven... I tried... good luck!

Roger
Old 11-15-2004, 08:29 AM   #20
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
Sorry Steven... I tried... good luck!
I'm impatient....what can I say I needed to take action (out of desperation). Plus; $5.99 vs $50 seems logical. Still have a big hole and not out yet. I'll work on it again tonight.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:50 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
another nominee for the Forum dumb "A" of the month award!
Don't worry we've all been there.
I spent a half hour the other day looking for my glasses after working on my Jeep. they were hanging from my collar on the sweatshirt I was wearing. My son pointed that out to me.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:12 AM   #22
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Alan - thanks for that. I'm still chuckling. Always nice to give your children an opportunity to point how much of a Dork you actually are! I seem to do this all of the time lately.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:05 AM   #23
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
Alan - thanks for that. I'm still chuckling. Always nice to give your children an opportunity to point how much of a Dork you actually are! I seem to do this all of the time lately.
Steven...

I never do that too! As much as I hate to say this, I think it might be something that is AGE related?

Of COURSE, now that you're knee deep into destroying what is left of your dashboard, you are ABSOLUTELY going to have to 'fess up as to where your keys were when you find 'em so that the rest of us may viacariously benefit from your emperience. It is assumed that similar objects react similarly to similar stimulus. Therefore, it follows that next time I can't find MY keys, they'll undoubtedly be in a place similar to where they were when YOU couldn't find em. Can't argue with logic, right?

Roger
Old 11-15-2004, 05:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Find em yet?

So, any luck on finding these keys. I figured they would have shown up by now since you're tearing away. Look beside the seats where they could have fallen...probably in plain site when you do find them

Good luck

Rob
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 09:18 PM   #25
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Steven, this might help you to feel a little better.

Like most women, my wife is not accustomed to putting her keys in her pants' pocket like I am, and most men are. We went to Disney's Vero Beach Resort summer before last and the day after our return, my wife couldn't find her car keys while I was at work. Well, she new she must have left them at the resort. So she called the resort and told the nice Cast Member at the front desk. He transferred her to a Cast Member in Lost and Found and she told him. Later that day she retraced her steps and found her keys laying on the back seat of her car next to our younger son's car seat where she had laid them while she unfastened his car seat straps AFTER she had been to the grocery store! That's not the end of the story.

About a week later, we get this large padded envelope from Disney's Vero Beach Resort in the mail. My wife opens it and guess what is inside. Noooo, not car keys. There was a note explaining that lost and found was returning the items that we left in our room along with a pair of little girl's socks and a pair of MEN'S briefs...we have two boys and I wear boxers!
Old 11-15-2004, 09:32 PM   #26
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
The new lock cylinder is now installed. For those who are [still] interested here is the procedure for replacement if you loose the keys to your motorhome.

1. Get a 1/8" drill bit and drill through the bottom of the key opening to cut through the tumblers.
2. When that doesn't work get a larger drill and do the same thing.
3. When that doesn't work drill through the top
4. Then drill some more
5. Drill.
6. Drill more.
7. Drill again.
8. Take a break for the night, go to work, catch some S%^& about loosing your keys.
9. Come home from work and drill
10. Drill.
11. Get smart and actually look at the new lock cylinder to see what else you can drill through.
12. Drill through the cylinder on the left side across from the little hole in a desperate attempt to cut out the locking pin
13. Get a larger drill.
14. Drill this hole again
15. Finally - turn the lock cylinder with a large screwdriver
16. Spend a ridiculous about of time trying to get the paper clip to line up with the hole and the spring locking pin.
17. Finally get the paper clip to "find" the locking pin
18. Spin the entire ignition switch several times in the dash trying to hold three things (screwdriver, paper clip and the back of the ignition switch) at once.
19. Do this ten more times.
20. Convince your wife to lie on the doghouse on her back and with her right hand reach up under the dash and hold the back side of the ignition switch to keep it from spinning while you sit in the driver seat and try repeatedly to get the pin lined up again. (still wondering what this must have looked like to a passing car )
21. Finally get the hole lined up with the pin, depress the pin and slide the old cylinder out.
22. Replace with the $5.99 part you bought thinking "only six bucks! I'm gonna save so much money by not calling a locksmith".
23. Start the RV and smile.

Tomorrow I have to break into my VW so I can disconnect the alarm and remove the driver's side door handle to get the lock number so VW can make me a key.

The conversation with the guy at VW went something like this.

"Awe man it's easy, just unlock the car, remove one screw and slide out the door handle. Write down the number and come in. We'll make you a spare while you wait." Obviously everyone thinks you have a key so you can unlock everything to remove it and replace it with another new key. Those damn locksmith lobbyists!

Here's to hoping that one goes better than this one - my wife does not plan to participate in that one but I'm bringing my drill!
Old 11-15-2004, 09:41 PM   #27

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
You've got to admit, the feeling you had when the MH started up with the new ignition set cannot be compared to just feeling like a dumba** when you have to call in a locksmith. This way you really accomplished something! And now you have a new ignition switch, so the MH is better than before! Congrats!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 09:58 PM   #28
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Steph - I HATE throwing in the towel. The sound of my tired old 454 never sounded so sweet. I'll sleep well tonight!