Old 04-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
White Lake , Michigan
Leveling jacks

I just got under my rig, "88 345, to check out the operation of my jacks. I have one, my right rear that does not extend and I have another, left rear jack, that won't retract horizontally. It appears that the side mounted piston will not retract like the others and now will not swing up and out of the way. This jack will no longer activate down or up, nor can I manually force it to swing back. The load bearing part of the jack has retracted but the side mounted piston appears to be leaking now as well. Any Ideas out there from someone who has rebuilt these things? I am sure that they are originals and could use an overhaul, are replacement parts still available? Can't move the rig far with the jack so close to the ground.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
I'll see if I can't get some pix of my jacks to see if they are anything like yours. PO told me that he had replaced 'acuators' on front 2 jacks, but rear two needed to be replaced. He actually gave me the actuators for the rear jacks, but never have had the time to replace them yet.
Possible for you to post some pix of what you're describing?
Thanks, Derek

Old 04-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
White Lake , Michigan
I have a link to the manual that has great illustrations, will try to forward the link. Thanks for your time.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Key West , Florida
The actuator is the valve for the jack if it is stuck then the jack will not fill or empty. The actuators are still available from HWH but they no longer look the same (taller and fitting moved) and are pricey $140ea. The re build is like $250 per jack I think. I need to do two of mine as well so let us know what you end up doing. If you need to get your stuck down jack up you can remove the bering (that the top of the actuator piston pushes on) and it will swing up. Do not do this if your rig is resting on this jack use jack stands and floor jacks to lift it off.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
White Lake , Michigan
http://hmcmotorhomes.homestead.com/A...-Levelers.html
This link will connect you to the link that shows the installation/joperation manual for my leveling system. Thanks for the time, Mr. D.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
White Lake , Michigan
I disconnected the incoming fluid hose at the leveler that does not deploy and found no fluid was reaching the jack. The next step is to swap the hose up front and see if the problem is the jack or the control valve assembly. As usual, the control valve assembly is directly above my front driver side tire so the tire must come off to work on the hoses.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
White Lake , Michigan
I released the fluid pressure at the jack and was able to get the jack to release. I believe the actuator over extended because the pivot wheel it seats against has fallen off. One more part to had to the list. I am in direct communication with HWH Corp., hopefully between them and the forums will get this problem solved.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
boca raton , Florida
Only my right front seems to hang up sometimes when retracting, but can be nugged and pulls up. Guess I,m going to be reading this thread real carefully! All info will be wonderful.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Sounds like the return springs on the right front are weak. You might want to add that to the list.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
White Lake , Michigan
Update on the leveler issue! HWH has a kit to rebuild the rollers on the actuators and hopefully once that is replaced I will no longer have an issue with the retracting problem. On the jack that fails to deploy I found, after taking apart the control toggles up front, that I had a forward pressure button that was frozen. No only was it frozen up, it was worn and bent enough to not make contact with the toggle when pushed forward. I have ordered a new pressure button valve from HWH and if all goes well I will have the jacks working again. Will update at that time!