Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2003, 02:03 PM   #1
CBBOB

1976 31' Sovereign
1992 30' Airstream 30
El Dorado Hills , California
Question Levelers and airbags

My 92 30MH has the automatic leveling system which has worked well since we bought it a year ago. We are parking in for a month
in a campground for weekend trips. When I activated the system
the first time upon arrival, they seem to work fine except I heard
the sound of a lot of compressed air escaping from the area of the
right rear axial/leveler. I recycled the system without the sound of air escaping. When the MH was down, I didn't note that the right rear was saging. Could I have lost an airbag? Will it drive safely if the air bag isn't working, we are parked in the boonies.
Thanks
CBBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 05:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Lost Airbag?

I doubt it.

From conversations and other posts I believe it is apparent that, given the right circumstances, the hydraulic leveling system will dump air from the bags from time to time.

You would definitely notice if you had lost a bag as soon as you attempted to get under way.

On mine, after dumping the air during a jack-up, the springs might actually come to rest on the frame flange, however, driving over just a couple small bumps allows both of the airbags to come up to the proper height.

Please follow up with a post to let us know of your situation.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 03:25 PM   #3
CBBOB

1976 31' Sovereign
1992 30' Airstream 30
El Dorado Hills , California
Well, came time to bring the baby home. I went to Store the levelers and the right/rear( the one that expelled the compressed air) didn't retract-the other three did. I tried recycleing the store function, but right/rear stayed down.
I finally put everything back down and let the system sit until
all the lights went out. I turned it off, back on and hit Store. All four came up. I was quite relieved. Do I need to get someone to check it out? Thanks for your help!
CBBOB is offline   Reply With Quote