Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 09:11 AM   #81
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Rogers , AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Awesome! Hope you enjoy them...oh, you do have an Airstream Classic Motorhome correct? Chime in a little earlier next time to educate us here.
I've been spending a lot of time over the past few years conversing with Daniel Stern (not the actor) and more recently on candlepowerforums.com learning as much as I can and improving the lighting on our vehicles, as well as some family members' cars. They're a bit.....passionate over there, but I'm definitely guilty of doing some lighting modifications in the past that I now realize were not effective.

Just offering advice, and I'm sorry if it came off offensive. Take it with a grain of salt.
Mr. Merk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:13 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I would suggest that we are trying to help each other out here on the forums and referring to others posts as "garbage" doesn't do anybody any good. You obviously have some knowledge in an area where many of us are just now getting our feet wet. Share it, or not, but how bout doing it with a helpful tone.
I'm real happy so far with my purchase and install of my LED headlights, maybe because the OEM lights were so horrible. DANGEROUSLY so. Granted, I don't do a great deal of night driving while we are on the road. There is a night and day difference and I no longer feel like I've got candles for headlights. The lights I purchased were within my budget, DOT approved, and were able to be fitted to our OEM cans.
Most the folks here on the Classic Motorhome forum have helped me with innumerable situations where I had little or no knowledge. They've been my saving grace. Without their help, I would have been lost in many situations. I have nothing but gratitude for their patience and help since 2013 and 50,000 miles of traveling this country. I would never ever refer to their posts as "garbage".....even when I've disagreed.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:25 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
I would suggest that we are trying to help each other out here on the forums and referring to others posts as "garbage" doesn't do anybody any good. You obviously have some knowledge in an area where many of us are just now getting our feet wet. Share it, or not, but how bout doing it with a helpful tone.
I'm real happy so far with my purchase and install of my LED headlights, maybe because the OEM lights were so horrible. DANGEROUSLY so. Granted, I don't do a great deal of night driving while we are on the road. There is a night and day difference and I no longer feel like I've got candles for headlights. The lights I purchased were within my budget, DOT approved, and were able to be fitted to our OEM cans.
Most the folks here on the Classic Motorhome forum have helped me with innumerable situations where I had little or no knowledge. They've been my saving grace. Without their help, I would have been lost in many situations. I have nothing but gratitude for their patience and help since 2013 and 50,000 miles of traveling this country. I would never ever refer to their posts as "garbage".....even when I've disagreed.
Ditto.......
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:45 PM   #84
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:

Agreed!
Old 03-09-2021, 03:16 PM   #85
2 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
Cape Elizabeth , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
I used the original GM connector and made a cutout in its plastic shroud so the T of the lamp pigtail would fit. The low beam pin does not connect to anything.
Wayne, how are the LED headlights doing? Thanks for your posts and directions. I purchased the same headlights yesterday but after reading some of the online reviews I'm having second thoughts about installing them. Specifically, even though they are labeled DOT they are not legal because they do not have a cutout for oncoming traffic. I do not know if this is true or not. Have you had any issues?
weatherbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:23 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
The only safe way to add LED headlamps to your vehicle, is if you install or already have projector style lenses. You can't just install an LED lamp into any lens. The LED light will reflect out in every direction potentially blinding on coming vehicles.
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:06 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherbie View Post
Wayne, how are the LED headlights doing? Thanks for your posts and directions. I purchased the same headlights yesterday but after reading some of the online reviews I'm having second thoughts about installing them. Specifically, even though they are labeled DOT they are not legal because they do not have a cutout for oncoming traffic. I do not know if this is true or not. Have you had any issues?
I'm sorry to have to inform you that Wayne has passed on

There are a many of us that have installed LED lights in our rigs. I don't have any link immediately at hand but if you use this headlights link you'll find a lot of hits.

I installed LEDs on Peanut, Mayco installed the same ones on his 310 and a variety of others have done so as well.

Wayne was a great source of information and assistance and we all miss him a great deal.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:30 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
I put these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On our ‘90 345. I don’t recall any problems with the job, and they work fine.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:45 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
I use the Grote LED lights on both the Snap-On truck and the 370LE. They are pricey but they work awesome, plus they look pretty cool. Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:12 PM   #90
2 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
Cape Elizabeth , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
I'm sorry to have to inform you that Wayne has passed on

There are a many of us that have installed LED lights in our rigs. I don't have any link immediately at hand but if you use this headlights link you'll find a lot of hits.

I installed LEDs on Peanut, Mayco installed the same ones on his 310 and a variety of others have done so as well.

Wayne was a great source of information and assistance and we all miss him a great deal.

Brad
Sorry to hear about Wayne, I learned a lot from his posts. Thanks for the other recommendations I'll look into them.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:36 AM   #91
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Rogers , AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
I use the Grote LED lights on both the Snap-On truck and the 370LE. They are pricey but they work awesome, plus they look pretty cool. Regards, Bob
I think those are decent lamps. Here is a thread on the subject matter from about a year ago.

If any of you are serious about having legitimate headlamps, the best performing and safest option is this:

https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/h...#product_parts
2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S 550hp/553tq
2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 5.3L built 4L60e, 40k Tru-cool
Mr. Merk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:51 AM   #92
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
I used these, they work great

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079L55PX7..._Cy6nJF8fiY2Hy
Old 03-10-2021, 08:59 AM   #93
2 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
Cape Elizabeth , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
Those look very good, have you had any moisture issues? That is the main complaint in the reviews.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:14 AM   #94
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherbie View Post
Those look very good, have you had any moisture issues? That is the main complaint in the reviews.
Going on 2 years and no issues at all, outside full time in the Midwest for one of those years
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:27 AM   #95
2 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
Cape Elizabeth , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
Going on 2 years and no issues at all, outside full time in the Midwest for one of those years
Great, those look like the best ones I have seen that do not cost upwards of 300$ each.