Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2017, 06:47 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I picked up that set for $80 and I got a relay harness kit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJ771YQ for $22.50.
The weather has been crappy so I have not started the installation yet
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:49 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
Thanks got it open they were one of two sets that are DOT. Merry Christmas and enjoy your travels
cole3444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:58 AM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2004 26' Land Yacht Gas 26
Thibodaux , Louisiana
Does anyone have a source for the 2002-2006 Land yachts. I think they use the same units found on IZuzu Suvs.
latenite23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
We finally did get to use the new LED headlights during the final leg of our trip home. They were as good as expected. Really lit up the road nicely, no hesitation in recommending them. The difference is amazing, should have done it sooner. Big thumbs up!

Mike
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:42 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
LED Headlights

Keyair,
Did you have any trouble mounting your LED lights in the cans. I noticed the ones you bought have breather valves on the back and was wondering if they caused any problems when installing. Thanks Jim
Old 03-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
Mayco,
Did you have any trouble mounting your LED lights in the cans. I noticed the ones you bought have breather valves on the back and was wondering if they caused any problems when installing. Fixing to do mine.
Keyair I apologize I sent this message to you by mistake. Thanks Jim
Old 03-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
They were tight Cole, no doubt. I ended up pulling the pins out of the plastic connector because it was huge and took up a lot of space in the bucket. Then connected each push pin to the terminals on the back of the lights. That created enough room to get the lights in the bucket and screwed down tight. Need to be patient getting the mounting screws started, they are tucked back in there and a bit difficult. But they will fit. When I was searching for which lights to buy I paid close attention the the dimensions. Tried to get the shallowest lights that fit the other criteria.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:46 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
Mayco,
I appreciate the info, I just ordered my lights off Amazon one more thing checked off the list.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:13 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Finally some weather I can work in!
Just starting to install my LED headlights and I bought a harness with relays but it needs about 3 feet of lengthening to fit properly so I am installing without it for now because I need to do my State inspection before the end of the month.

So I plugged in one of the LED lights as a test and no light.
I remembered that they claim some vehicles did not wire the connectors in the standard method.
I found the correct wiring for the sockets and made some photos for anyone else planning on doing this.
This is the OEM wiring on my 84. Large Green is ground, brown is low beam and black is high.

Spider webs no extra charge

This is the way it needs to be rewired for the LED version

Got rid of the spider web too!

I assume there is a tool to extract the socket pins, but I made my own by flattening a rivet shaft.

When you do this it deforms the spring tab that holds the contacts in the housing. Gently bend the tab back out before inserting the contact.

I should probably wire brush the contacts and add electrical grease before doing the real final assembly. (This was just a demo run)

I will do one side at a time. when I do I will mount a white board to my step ladder to find the original headlight aim and then swap the connector pins, install the LED lights and adjust so the bright spot is in the same location.
I will let the inspectors determine if that is good enough for the road.
Wayne
Old 04-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Always good to check your work, it saves frustration. Note the photo of the LED connector wiring in my previous post labeled "WRONG".
I had the ground and High beam connectors reversed. This is the correct way:

Also I found a problem that someone else mentioned.There is a part on the LED light that does not fit inside the shell for the headlight.

I found a way around it by drilling a hole in the shell like this:

I took out the shell to made my first hole at my workbench, but getting the spring off and getting the shell out and all back together is a royal pain so I drilled the high beam hole in place. Be careful the alignment spring is right behind the drill spot.

The center of my hole is on a line 1.125" down from the bottom of the lamp alignment tab slot aiming toward the center of the hole in the back of the shell. I found a hole saw that is 0.665" that was good enough. A larger diameter would be better.

Here is the back side view with the bulb installed:

One side is in, taking a break for the other side.

This is what I used for my alignment target. 2 bungees on a white board on my fold up ladder.

More photos are on a unpublished page of my website:
http://theouterlimits.ws/projects/ai...eadlights.html
Old 04-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Good description Wayne. (As usual) exactly the same on my 310. Had to reverse the high beam and the ground. I did away with the OEM plastic housing you show well in post 69 third picture. I removed the connector pins and connected them directly to the headlight connector. Saved a good deal of room in the bucket to get the LED housing to seat properly.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:32 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Good description Wayne. (As usual) exactly the same on my 310. Had to reverse the high beam and the ground. I did away with the OEM plastic housing you show well in post 69 third picture. I removed the connector pins and connected them directly to the headlight connector. Saved a good deal of room in the bucket to get the LED housing to seat properly.
I thought about that but my LED bulbs have a pigtail and I worry about the pins shorting.
Even with heat shrink on them, vibrations could be a problem wearing the insulation.
These headlights came with connectors that fit the pigtail but they were rather light weight so I stuck with the original connector.
I could also have cut away the shroud on the connector, that would make more room, but not on this try.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:15 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
The left side took less than an hour! Since I did not take apart the alignment parts, it stayed good.
More photos are on the web.

One note,
Anyone tackling this project, I recommend 2 things:

1) A good penetrating oil for the screws. I apply Kroil a day or two before and again just before starting work.
Hell, that is a standard procedure for Airstreams, like Toilet Paper is for bathroom work!

2) A good magnetic screwdriver, unless you like hunting for old, or buying new screws, it will save immense frustration.

Done with this project.
One step closer to inspection day!
Waiting on my antenna so I can finish the Dash project.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:11 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I hate mistakes, especially when they are mine.
I had to mark 2 more of my images wrong. The wire colors and positions are correct, it is how I ID'ed the wires that is wrong.
Added to my notes of frustration:
Quote:
GM calls Brown Tan. Tan is low beam. Green in most applications is ground, but in GM Green is high beam. Black in Airstream is +12VDC, in GM it is ground.
These are the new images:

And a drawing to make it all more or less confusing:

This morning I tried finding what the official pinout for the OEM bulbs should be with no luck. Just a diagram showing a typical hookup. Why LED bulbs are different from GM, who knows?
Old 04-30-2018, 12:23 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
WayneG,
On your bottom high beam led bulb what did you do with the third prong on the bulb, I plugged my extension using the right and left wire and removed the top wire. It makes it tight when you put the light back in. They do look good. Jim
Old 04-30-2018, 01:57 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3444 View Post
WayneG,
On your bottom high beam led bulb what did you do with the third prong on the bulb, I plugged my extension using the right and left wire and removed the top wire. It makes it tight when you put the light back in. They do look good. Jim
I used the original GM connector and made a cutout in its plastic shroud so the T of the lamp pigtail would fit. The low beam pin does not connect to anything.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:59 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
Thanks so much, I did not want a mess when I got done.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:03 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
Made a quarter inch cut and the plug slid right on after I cleaned about two pounds of dirt dobber nest out of the headlight enclosures, the slit made it so easy and always thanks to WayneG and Mayco for your help with my LED upgrade on the dash and headlights. One less thing on the list.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:44 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Rogers , AR
I read a bunch of garbage on the first couple pages and couldn't take anymore! Lots of illegal "toys" or "trinket lights" suggested that may appear bright but either don't actually improve vision or are unsafe to oncoming traffic.

From what I've gathered, the JW Speaker or Truck-Lite 4x6 LED lamps are the only ones on the market worth a flip. They are both available with heated lenses which is a cool feature. They automatically defrost/melt snow.
Mr. Merk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:34 AM   #80
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Merk View Post
I read a bunch of garbage on the first couple pages and couldn't take anymore! Lots of illegal "toys" or "trinket lights" suggested that may appear bright but either don't actually improve vision or are unsafe to oncoming traffic.

From what I've gathered, the JW Speaker or Truck-Lite 4x6 LED lamps are the only ones on the market worth a flip. They are both available with heated lenses which is a cool feature. They automatically defrost/melt snow.
Awesome! Hope you enjoy them...oh, you do have an Airstream Classic Motorhome correct? Chime in a little earlier next time to educate us here.