Old 06-04-2015, 05:29 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
leaking oil filter adapter plate

Hey group. I posted this up in the Argosy motorhome forum, but cross-posting it here for a larger viewing audience. This should (?) apply to all motorhomes with the 454/th400 combo.
I have a massive leak at my oil filter adapter plate. Its a pressurized leak, not just leaking from the oil pan or RMS. I purchased the felpro gasket and o-ring kit (PN: ES 72671) and installed both the paper gasket as well as the larger 0-ring. Still a massive leak. Upon further inspection I noticed that the profile of the new o-ring is round and the original has a 'square' profile. Or, a flat profile. Kind of hard to explain, but the gaskets are not the same. also, the felpro gasket is slightly larger in diameter than the original. It doesn't sit in the o-ring groove the way it should. I was guessing if it would squish down into the groove when torquing down the hex heads. Apparently it did not if the massive oil leak is any indication..
So, if anyone has some experience here, or can point me to the right gasket I'd appreciate it. I'll be calling the dealership this morning to bother the techs and see if they can help also. Seems odd to me that its so hard to come by the right gasket for such a popular engine. Or.. I did something wrong.

Help appreciated. Thanks!

Austin, TX
'78 Argosy 28 motorhome.

bpg_austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:43 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas

I did find the answer to this problem. I posted it up in the Argosy Moho forum if anyone wishes to find it there.

bpg_austin is offline   Reply With Quote