Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2004, 03:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Leaking fuel tank in MH...need 2nd opinion.

Leaking at sending unit area from the welds. Reline for $300. or new for $800. Was told that used may fail later too. Any suggestions? This being done at Chevy dealer familiar with trucks.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:09 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodokk
Leaking at sending unit area from the welds. Reline for $300. or new for $800. Was told that used may fail later too. Any suggestions? This being done at Chevy dealer familiar with trucks.
You can get a custom one built for somewhere between thos prices. I would check on that first, you may be able to get a few gallon larger one while you are at it.
Terry
Old 12-24-2004, 11:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
You can get a custom one built for somewhere between thos prices. I would check on that first, you may be able to get a few gallon larger one while you are at it.
Terry
I checked and it would take too long to have one built around here. Also they're very pricey. I think the sprayed in liner should work. Besides, I would worry about the extra weight a few more gallons would have considering we always travel fully laden as it is. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:05 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I checked and it would take too long to have one built around here. Also they're very pricey. I think the sprayed in liner should work. Besides, I would worry about the extra weight a few more gallons would have considering we always travel fully laden as it is. Thanks.
Just for the record, gasoline weighs just under 8 pounds per gallon, an extra 5 gallons would only be 40 pounds, the extra steel to make the tank larger would likewise weigh less than 5 pounds. But if you are running real close on weight you may want to see if there is a plastic replacement (no rust, and less condensation inside, as well as lighter), or maybe aluminum, although it would be VERY pricey.
Terry
Old 01-07-2005, 08:59 PM   #5

Quote:
several years ago I scraped a hole in the bottom of my fuel tank. Went to the local auto parts store and bought a fuel tank repair kit. 5 years later when I traided there was still no sign of a leak.
herbtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 09:51 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

I'm not familar w/ what tanks they use on your MH, also don't know what method they will use to reline your old tank, but I had a tank relined a few years ago. They warranted the tank, but what happened is they didn't do it right and about 2 months later I had to replace the tank, the fuel lines, the filter and rebuild the carb. The material they used softened up and went through the entire fuel system. I don't remember what they used, but would never do it again unless someone else had it done will good results. This was 5 years ago and I'm sure they've improved the material that is used today. I'm guessing on your MH they dropped the tank to check for sure where it was leaking from. I own a garage (opened 4 years ago) and have repaired quite a few leaks that were caused by rusted fuel pump lines. Tank was good. I guess it's a matter of cost. If the tank is leaking at the welds and not from rust then it may be worth relining. If it from rust, I'd put a new tank in (if you're keeping it) The original tank lasted over 20 years. Also if it's leaking at the welds or seam a good repair shop could mig weld the old tank alot cheaper than replacing it. I have successfully welded tanks for older cars where replacements were not readily available. Good luck.

whistler
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote