Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Nashville , Tennessee
Kohler 7CM21-RV Reset Button?

Greetings Airstreamers. The genny in my '86 345 died during a long HOT Oklahoma day, two years ago. Fuel and oil levels were fine, so I have to believe the thing overheated, as it was 110 degrees and it ran for over 8 hours. It turns over, but won't start, even w/starting fluid. The repair manual I downloaded shows a reset button near the starter button, and says to reset if it overheats. My rig doesn't have this button. I ran a fuel line direct to a gas can, and the fuel pump doesn't appear to be sucking any fuel, as well. My father-in-law attempted to gap the points, but got frustrated at their location, and his inability to work with them in such a chaotic environment (wants me to pull the unit from the rig).

I realize that I should rehab or replace the carb after sitting for two years, but am concerned that won't fix the problem. I have searched the other threads, and couldn't find anything on overheating, or a reset button? Also, anybody ever use the "Pointsaver" product that supposedly makes point adjustment a breeze?

Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks for your time.

-Keith
unleadedzeppelin.com
freedombro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Dropping the unit may be a good starting point. I know on my genset, getting to anything (plugs, fuel pump, carb) are next to impossible with the genset installed.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Keith,

Several things to look into. First, it sounds like the motor is turning over which is a good start. Next there is an electric fuel pump on the 7CM21 that runs when pushing the start button. If the pump isn't running the generator definitely won't start. Inside the end of the pump is a strainer type fuel filter. You twist the end cap to remove it.

I would shy away from pulling the genset out unless you absolutely have to. It weighs about 350 lbs and is awkward to handle.

Depending on year and specific model of 7CM21 there is a fuel stop solenoid that if it isn't energized while starting (and running) then no fuel will get to the carburetor. Inside the little control box in the lower right corner where the start/stop switch is located there is a 10 amp fuse that if it blows will keep the generator from starting. I believe it will still turn over, it just won't start.

Good luck!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Nashville , Tennessee
Thanks for the input. As soon as the weather improves, I'll dig into this deeper. The fuse I found seems to be fine. Would the fuel shut off solenoid keep it it from firing up, even with starting fluid? If so, that could be the problem. Apparently, there is no reset button to push when it overheats, as shown in the service manual I downloaded. It seems a floor jack may be a good way to drop the unit from the coach. I'll let you know how it ends up. Thanks Again!

-Keith
freedombro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedombro View Post
It seems a floor jack may be a good way to drop the unit from the coach. I'll let you know how it ends up. Thanks Again!

-Keith
That's exactly how I was able to lower and raise my Onan 7000. I used a 2 foot 2x8 bolted to the jack to provide support under the genset. In my case the leveling jacks weren't working so I had to move the MH to a dirt area and dug down about 5 inches in order to gain clearance. When reinstalling the unit I used a second smaller jack to align the screw holes one side at a time. Really not that hard and I was able to do it with no other assistance. Working on the genset outside the MH was MUCH easier. In the case of an Onan there is NO way I could access the spark plugs. I'd bet yours is the same. Once out it will be easy to identify the source of your problem, replace/recondition any parts needed and test the unit under load. I just hooked up 5 1500/1200 watt electric heaters as a load. Bought them for $19 each at a Home Depot sale and sold them for about the same.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote