Old 12-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
Hi bkahler: Weak spring will cause out of balance condition between load factor and engine output causing flux in fuel supply. But as a rule of thumb there is a problem with fuel supply. Hope this helps. "Boatdoc"
Well the miss seems to have disappeared today. The only real difference is it's about 30 degrees warmer. I had the rear air conditioner running while I was testing the generator and once or twice when the compressor kicked off (turned off) the generator surged slightly and then stabilized.

What is interesting is since I removed the air shut-off solenoid it does seem to handle loads better and oddly enough the voltage is slightly higher. Previously it seemed to always hover around 117vac. Now it's topping out around 122 or so and appears to be more stable in its output. Not sure what could have caused the change.

I'm going to run it some more this weekend and see how it acts.

Thanks!

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
There are multiple positions on the spring arm, and all of them are for different applications...
Make sure your is in the right holes!

Going over to the storage today, so will take a better look at my gen this time take some pics.
I'm going to have to go through the service manual again and read up on adjusting when under load.

I'm just happy it's running better

Brad

Old 12-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Just got in from mine....
Amongst the pics I took are some of my gov spring assemble for ya...
Will upload them in a bit.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Wow...
My eyesight sucks!

all the pics I took... and none of them showed what mine is set at..
Found this tho...

Old 12-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Hey Brad...
At the risk of Hijacking your thread...

I took a good look at my carb area...
No sign of a solenoid fuel cutoff... but look at this...
See that wire hanging off to the RH side of the coil with a bit of tape attached?

Yup, that is coming from the choke unit... the only other wire attached to the choke goes to ground...
This is it passing under the Plug wire and screwed to the fan shroud.

That power wire was not long enough to reach anything either... so someone cut it off!
I assume it should be attached to the power side of the coil...

Funny that up until recently, it always started about 3rd time most of the time... I guess thats the 80 deg temps we normally have!

I did a little test...
I blew down the fuel feed pipe to the carb, and I could hear hissing in the carb throat, so I assume the fuel pathway is clear..
I am back to looking closely at the fuel pump, and its power next time I go over.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Ah-HA!

I just found something out, that MIGHT explain my fuel feed issue....

According to the Kohler manual, there is a 10a inline fuse between the coil/fuelpump feed wire...
The manual says it is BLUE....
Looking at my pics, I see this little darlin just below the coil, that looks very much like an inline fuse holder.....
Only thing is that the wire is purple...
Old 12-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Hey Brad...
At the risk of Hijacking your thread...

I took a good look at my carb area...
No sign of a solenoid fuel cutoff... but look at this...
I have yet to see a picture of what the fuel cutoff solenoid should look like on your model genset. But if you've traced down all the wires then it's likely someone has removed the plunger and the wire.

Quote:
See that wire hanging off to the RH side of the coil with a bit of tape attached?

Yup, that is coming from the choke unit... the only other wire attached to the choke goes to ground...
This is it passing under the Plug wire and screwed to the fan shroud.

That power wire was not long enough to reach anything either... so someone cut it off!
I assume it should be attached to the power side of the coil...
Gotta love POs

Quote:
Funny that up until recently, it always started about 3rd time most of the time... I guess thats the 80 deg temps we normally have!
Which tells me that the choke on our genset is probably not hooked up (or is toast) as well. It starts and runs fine in temps above 50 or so but when the temps are in the 30s and 40s it surges and runs rich. This weekend I'm sliding the genset out to get a look at the choke.

Quote:
I did a little test...
I blew down the fuel feed pipe to the carb, and I could hear hissing in the carb throat, so I assume the fuel pathway is clear..
I am back to looking closely at the fuel pump, and its power next time I go over.
If you don't have a good solid 12 vdc at the pump that could be a problem.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Ah-HA!

I just found something out, that MIGHT explain my fuel feed issue....

According to the Kohler manual, there is a 10a inline fuse between the coil/fuelpump feed wire...
The manual says it is BLUE....
Looking at my pics, I see this little darlin just below the coil, that looks very much like an inline fuse holder.....
Only thing is that the wire is purple...
Don't get too excited, I don't believe that is a fuse holder, I'm pretty sure it is a quick disconnect. I have that same connector on my genset.

If you checked previously and had voltage at the coil then the fuse you saw in the manual is good.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
I spent a couple of hours pawing over the Kohler manuals, and NOWHERE do they show where/how that fuel solenoid is mounted.

I was over yesterday, and looked long and hard at the carb and surrounding area and am none the wiser still!
Maybe when you get a min, you can post a pic of yours Brad?

You were correct... that is just a quick connector!
I looked at the "Blue Wire" from the controller to coil... No inline fuse I can see, unless its hidding in the harness!
I pulled off the contoller box cover and the fuse in there was intact..

I checked my coil power again...
Interesting...
The power to the coil is only supplied from the battery during cranking, and I bet once the genset starts, it outputs its own 12v to supply the coil.
Here was what I found...

12.6v at the input connector RH of the start solenoid pictured above.

During cranking I am only getting 9.5v at the coil.. so I checked the output side of the solenoid that supplies power to the coil AND the starter... under cranking it too is only reading 9.5v..

At one point the starter stopped engaging the ring gear and just span... the battery voltage had clearly dropped, so I started the MH using the boost from the house batteries, and that cured that, but the coil and starter voltage was still low...

Bad genset solenoid???
Old 12-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
I spent a couple of hours pawing over the Kohler manuals, and NOWHERE do they show where/how that fuel solenoid is mounted.
That was my reaction as well. The Kohler manuals leave a lot to be desired.

Quote:
I was over yesterday, and looked long and hard at the carb and surrounding area and am none the wiser still!
Maybe when you get a min, you can post a pic of yours Brad?
If you're asking about the fuel shutoff solenoid I've already removed mine. From the pictures I've seen of your genset your's doesn't have the same set up mine did. I'll see if I can find a picture that shows what mine looked like.

Quote:
You were correct... that is just a quick connector!
I looked at the "Blue Wire" from the controller to coil... No inline fuse I can see, unless its hidding in the harness!
I pulled off the contoller box cover and the fuse in there was intact..
The fuse shown inside the electrical box is the 10 amp fuse shown on the schematic and the only one in the circuit. I changed that fuse holder to the newer ATC style of fuse holder.

Quote:
I checked my coil power again...
Interesting...
The power to the coil is only supplied from the battery during cranking, and I bet once the genset starts, it outputs its own 12v to supply the coil.
Here was what I found...

12.6v at the input connector RH of the start solenoid pictured above.

During cranking I am only getting 9.5v at the coil.. so I checked the output side of the solenoid that supplies power to the coil AND the starter... under cranking it too is only reading 9.5v..

At one point the starter stopped engaging the ring gear and just span... the battery voltage had clearly dropped, so I started the MH using the boost from the house batteries, and that cured that, but the coil and starter voltage was still low...

Bad genset solenoid???
You're getting the same reading at the coil that I am, just under 10 volts when cranking. The ignition coil on my genset has been leaking potting and Friday when I was working on the choke (outside temps were in the high 20s which was a perfect time to adjust the choke!) I found that the choke was adjusted way to rich so I adjusted it. Unfortunately it still didn't help the surging problem. I decided at that point to order a replacement coil. It should be here Wednesday at which time I'll see if it solves the surging.

As for the 9.5 volts at the coil I'm not sure what to make of that. It's possible it could be the starter solenoid. I'll take another reading of the coil voltage next time I have it running to see if it goes to 12.5 (or higher) once it's running.

brad
Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Just thought I would post an update to the Kohler running problems.

So far I've adjusted the choke to where it opens properly after the engine is started, replaced the spark plugs, replaced the ignition coil with a new one, removed the fuel shut-off solenoid, replaced the original glass fuse holder with an ATC style fuse holder and upgraded the oil filler pipe to Keyair's setup.

Unfortunately it continues to surge badly while running and is also running extremely rich (which I think is causing the surging). Looking down the throat of the carburetor gasoline is actually puddling in the elbow where it turns into the carburetor throat and also you can see gasoline misting in the throat as well while running.

The only thing I can think of that would cause this condition is the float bowl needle is sticking open allowing excess fuel to enter the bowl causing a rich running condition. Yesterday I received a carburetor rebuild kit and I hope to rebuild the carburetor in the next few days. If this doesn't solve the problem then I will totally stumped.

Stay tuned...

Brad
Old 01-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Have you done a compression test?
Maybe a bad intake valve?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Have you done a compression test?
Maybe a bad intake valve?
Haven't done a compression test but I'm beginning to think it is the oil viscosity. I'm basically running summer weight oil and the surging problem occurs when its in the low 30s and colder. It's 43 right now and I just started it and it ran fine. I believe engine oil is used in the governor system and cold thick oil may not allow it to function properly.

I don't know if I'll get around to changing the oil to a lighter weight or not. Depends on how much time I have and whether I need the generator for anything.

So for the moment I'm going to consider the problem solved and finish up the 120vac wiring changes that I'm doing to it.

Brad