Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
na , na
isuzu engine underheating- heater not doing much

We are inspecting a 1983 310 with isuzu engine with hopes of purchase in southern Oregon, temps in 40's and 50's. We replaced the thermostat . I haven’t driven real far but the engine doesn’t appear to be getting up to temperature. The heater is not putting out much.
Is this normal? Can anyone offer a discussion on cool running isuzu engines?
Regards
Rick West
rickandjenny@gmail.com
sailhighc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:58 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Typically on any vehicle with a cooling system, if the engine doesn't heat up, it's the thermostat (provided the coolant level is correct). Did you put the right temp thermostat in? You could have an air pocket or a blockage in the system somewhere before the coolant gets to the temp sending unit/ heater core...remote, but possible not knowing the condition of the vehicle or how well it's been maintained.

To give you an example, my Chevy V8 came with a 180 degree stat. I replaced it with a 160 degree stat so that when I was towing, it would still be in closed loop, but at the same time keep the temps lower. In winter, the 160 stat also keeps the engine cool. Still in closed loop, but heat from the core can be less. So instead of swapping the thermostat to the correct size which would fix the issue, I disconnect the fan belt that drives the fan only and place cardboard in front of the radiator. I gained 10 degrees of heat doing this, getting my engine temps to 170 rather than 160. In spring, I take out the cardboard and put the fan belt on.

My guess is it's either still the thermostat or possibly the wrong temp size put in.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
I'm not sure how long you drove it , diesels take a lot longer to warm up than a gasser . At idle it will take forever , take it up a good hill . You should not need to block the radiator at 40-50 deg . Good luck
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote