Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Isuzu engine maintenance

Im taking the 310 in next week to have the valves adjusted. Dont know when it was done last. Should I have the shop re-torque the head while they have it? Im not having any problems with the motor just routine maintenance. Ill also have them shoot some grease in that water pump. Thanks for advice on the head bolts.

Mike
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Wouldn't hurt and it's a good time to do it. Beats a blown head gasket on the road.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thanks Kota I will then. I should be adjusting the valves myself, but it's been a long time and I don't trust my mechanical abilities much working on this motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-06-2015, 06:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
The cummins is pretty easy. Hardest part is rotating the crank to the right position. I've got to replace my 40lb exhaust valve springs with 60lb for the Pacbrake. Been putting it off.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I hope this isnt a stupid question but, once the valve cover is off, can you actually get your head in there to see top dead center on the damper? It just looks awfully tight. Can you get a socket on the damper retaining nut to turn the motor? Please forgive my lack of knowledge. (Or at least put up with it)

Thank you as always,

Mike
Old 06-09-2015, 04:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Isuzu engine maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
I hope this isnt a stupid question but, once the valve cover is off, can you actually get your head in there to see top dead center on the damper? It just looks awfully tight. Can you get a socket on the damper retaining nut to turn the motor? Please forgive my lack of knowledge. (Or at least put up with it)

Thank you as always,

Mike

No such thing! I have got some stupid answers though.

Can't speak for the Isuzu but cummins has 2 positions that you identify the open close sequence and both valves being unloaded on two companion cylinders. You can usually rotate the engine by the alternator nut because it easy to get at while you can observe the rockers. There's a chart telling what valves to adjust. Make a mark on the balancer and rotate one turn and adjust the rest. Cummins says to adjust them with the engine below 100 degrees and above 50 I believe. I'm sure there is a similar procedure for the Isuzu.

These engines generally have solid lifters. As the valves wear into the seats the gap loosens up and they start hammering causing wear. It can also reduce the travel of the valve and effect performance a small amount. Cummins says adjust them every 20K miles.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thanks Kota. Thanks to a PO I do have the chart on it. I just started using this particlular shop 2 yrs ago when I got the 310. They have done well so far on chassis related stuff but this is the first time they'll be working on the Isuzu. Its tight in there on the front of the motor, real tight. I worry too much. I think I have some major trust issues when turning over the 310 to have work done on it.

Mike