Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2005, 03:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Lewiston , Idaho
Isuzu diesel in '81 Excella

Looking at a 1981 28' excella MH with an isuzu diesel and TH400. What can you tell me about this drivetrain.

The good?
The Bad
The???

thanks
pat
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:03 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash
Looking at a 1981 28' excella MH with an isuzu diesel and TH400. What can you tell me about this drivetrain.

The good?
The Bad
The???

thanks
pat
The Isuzu Diesel is a good engine, that can last over 300,000 miles with just a little care and maintenance. The TH400 is about the best light-duty GM automatic transmission, the preferred transmission is the Allison, but you most likely won't find one in the MoHo's of the vintage you are looking at.
As far as the engine, the basics, look for water in the oil, oil in the radiator, excessive smoke, oil leaks, etc. The trans, of course fluid level and color, check for leaks, and make sure it has all 3 gears, without flaring (also called slipping) between gears. The good news about the TH400 is it is relatively inexpensive to rebuild, if it needs it, while the Isuzu Diesel is very expen$ive for most repairs, other than maintenance.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
be sure to see the messages in our Motorhome forum posted by Chaplain Kent regarding his recent diesel engine replacement in a similiar unit. You might find that the Chevy 454 version of these motorhomes would be less expensive to own/maintain in the long run as parts and service are so much more readily available. However if a diesel is your preference, Isuzu parts and service are available if not as easily.
The Classic motorhome can be a joy to own, if you go into it realizing that they will need attention at some point. They are a reasonably good investment as there are never many for sale and more people seeking them out...and they garner lots of attention---and give a real pride of ownership. Plus we are always willing to help, and there are many very experienced owners here.
My own has been very reliable and enjoyable over the almost 4 yrs I have had it.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 10:20 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
I like My 1982 31ft. It has the Isuza with the TH 400 Trans. The best thing I did the day I got It.
alfalsetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 07:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I learned that hard way that The Izuzu is a very good, strong and reliable engine. My insurance company thoroughly researched it in trying to establish a depreciation figure for a 1982 with 60,000 miles. They eventualy came up with a figure of 20%, or that it had used 20% of its life. The one problem you may encounter is that there are not many of them out there. Make sure you have a reliable mechanic and have them double and triple check what they are putting on the engine. My mechanic ruined the engine.
Also take advantage of this forum, the few owners who have them are here. One last slice of advice I always like to give to any one considering buying a classic is to consider that the purchase price is only your down payment.
All those concerns considered I would not trade my classic for anything else rolling on the highway today. My wife and I simply can not spend enough time traveling in it.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:12 PM   #6

Saw your post concerning ruined 6bdi.I'm looking for a block.Any chance yours is salvagable?
tommc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
We did not take possession of the block and I do not know if it was salvageable or not. The work was done at Standard Truck in Chicago, IL- 773-890-0000. For all I know the block could be laying in thier back lot. Good Luck
Old 08-10-2005, 06:49 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
How did the mechanic ruin it? Dump sand in the crankcase, or put gasoline in the fuel tank?
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:07 AM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
How did the mechanic ruin it? Dump sand in the crankcase, or put gasoline in the fuel tank?
Pick,
You missed THE SAGA? Mechanic either put the wrong oil filter on it or put it on incorrectly and it blew out and drained the oil...a very quick way to ruin an engine...IMHO. Hopefully someone can find the thread for you.
I can attest to the durability of the Izuzu diesels, I had an older P'UP that had over 300k on it when the body finally rotted off of it. We have a 17Kw generator at work with a 1.5 litre Izuzu diesel in it that has over 20,000 hours on it.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Flash, you've got us all interested now... how about sharing the details?

How many miles on it? What's the overall condition? What are they a$king?

Enquiering minds here.....
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Glen- Flash's post was back in May- never heard from him again.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:48 AM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Rivet For those enquiring minds

If you need parts for your MoHo with the Isuzu T.D. engine, it is the same as that used in the FSR truck. This is useful if you are somewhere that has a salvage yard for big trucks, but no local Isuzu dealer. NAPA has some filters, the rest have to come from the Isuzu dealer.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:50 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Both NAPA and Carquest carry all of the filters and belts for the 6BD1T Isuzu engines. Although I have found, from experience, it is best to carry a spare in the beneath compartments just in case. As for finding a dealer they are all over. Isuzu is the largest industrial deisel engine manuafacturer in the world. Anyone who is considering purchasing one of these should not worry about getting service or parts.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:37 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Just in case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
Both NAPA and Carquest carry all of the filters and belts for the 6BD1T Isuzu engines. Although I have found, from experience, it is best to carry a spare in the beneath compartments just in case. As for finding a dealer they are all over. Isuzu is the largest industrial deisel engine manuafacturer in the world. Anyone who is considering purchasing one of these should not worry about getting service or parts.
The people at my local NAPAs are not exactly truck-oriented people, to put in kindly. It would be a good idea to find the cross-reference part numbers before you need them. I have been buying filters from the Isuzu/Chevrolet truck dealer here for quite a while, since NAPA can't seem to get them for me here. It is easier than the hassle, and they deliver, just like NAPA, only more $$$.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:40 PM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I will have to vote with Terry on this one...I needed filters for our generators, Napa had one of the three I needed, the rest were not available, but could be special ordered....and that was in what I consider to be a fairly decent sized metro area

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 08:21 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
I well not go to a Napa store! I have had bad luck going for parts and got the wrong thing.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:39 PM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfalsetto
I well not go to a Napa store! I have had bad luck going for parts and got the wrong thing.
NAPA is like any other store, it is only as good as its parts salesmen. The ones here are very good with cars, not so good with light trucks, and if you need a MoHo part, well...
Old 08-11-2005, 09:14 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
Your are right about Napa. Not to good on Truck parts. The Napa store in My home town are not to friendly with people and thay think thay know ever thing.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:24 AM   #19
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Have you ever tried Fleet Pride? I'n Louisville we're lucky enough to have a lot of Heavy/Light Duty truck maintenance facilities around given the logisitics nature of our fair city. When I start striking out at NAPA (and others) for Chassis Parts Fleet Pride or one of our local truck parts stores always has what I need - and thats on a P30 gasser. I would think the FSR parts would be in stock all of the time.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:42 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
My little town is to small for a good truck store. Good old "Belfair, WA" I like to see one come in around here with in 35 miles of town.