Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Isuzu diesel

I have seen a number of posts about there engines that are misleading. Some people think it is similar to the Duramax. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Isuzu is a reliable engine but is very old technology. Nothing electronic about this baby. It is very noisy and parts are very expensive. The Duramax weas developed by GM and Isuzu but is not based on the 6 cylinder that is used in some Airstreams. Personaly ( we have 2 Isuuzu diesels in GM W4 trucks) I would never buy a MH with that engine. Far too noisy!

Moisheh
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I agree that the older Isuzu engine was a tad bit noisy but I disagree about the new engines. I have a new Isuzu in my MH and it is very quiet. Maybe not as quiet as my son's Passat but my wife and I carry on conversations without raising our voices. We listen to music or talk shows on the radio without any problem. Passengers in the back seats can easily talk with me while driving. We sneak out of campgrounds early in the morning without disturbing others. I get more road noise than engine noise. Now for the electronics, beside the annoying cut of switch it has all the latest electronic, computerized gimmicks. So much so it keeps me from doing anything on the engine. I take it back to Isuzu and they hook up their computer to it and get all kind of neat readings. No different than my ford F150 pick up or my wife's Mazda.
Isuzu is the largest manufacture of diesel engines in the world. This 6 cylinder is the workhorse of the line. The engine is used on everything from large forklifts to cargo delivery vans to expensive luxury boats to fine Airstream Classic Motor homes. I can not speak to expensive parts since I only have 20,000 miles on my new engine over two years. However, the oil changes and the one valve adjustment were not expensive. Probably that will be all I will ever do with this engine is just maintenance. Maybe the parts are expensive since it never breaks down and there is only a slight demand for them.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Moisheh,

You may want to clarify your statements. You would not buy a MH with which engine? I don't think it's clear which one you like and dis-like.

I've never had a MH with the diesel. Personally, I value the opinions of the folks that actually have the MH's with the diesel engines (and there are many on this forum). I am not sure I have ever heard one say they didn't like the Isuzu engine. They seem to be so happy with them that I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Airstream MH with one.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I worked for an Isuzu dealership. We sold many, many diesel trucks in the 80's, and the diesel Trooper. These suckers went hundreds of thousands of miles with no issues.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello eveyone,

The diesels I work on in the isuzu cabover fc or forward control are the 3.9 4 cyl turbo diesel . Noisy ,yes reliable ,most definatley.Not high powerd but do the job they were designed for. Isuzu diesel parts are NOT inexpensive.The duramax is as you say a different engine altogether ,its a v8 6.6 litre.Seems to have injector troubles ,many dealer warranties happening with the injectors. You 6 cylinders diesels are very reliable and have no connection to the duramax.Keep it serviced ,change the oil regularly ,long long service.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:11 AM   #6
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh
I have seen a number of posts about there engines that are misleading. The Isuzu is a reliable engine but is very old technology. Nothing electronic about this baby. It is very noisy and parts are very expensive. I would never buy a MH with that engine. Far too noisy! Moisheh
Ignorence is Bliss. I have owned our motorhome for ten years and haven't bought a part for the engine yet. The coach is properly noise proofed and we have no problem conversing on the road. He is right about the electronics though. There are none and I consider that a plus.

The old adage. Say something nice, or keep quiet and don't display your ignorence.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote