Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2003, 04:51 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

internet provider???

So this is my second to the last day at work & course we have avoided the internet provider question to the last.
I think we didn't want to jinx the whole procedure of really quitting and hitting the road. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. I did download all my airstream email addresses yesterday so I won't lose anyones in transition.
But back to the question: For those of you on the road full-time, Who do you use for dial-up? We have the MN cheap generic provider at home but that won't work on the road.
Any suggestions/testimonials? Full-timers that have come through the Airstream Park have had JUNO and AOL. We are going to be on a tight budget for 2 years until the pension kicks in so every penney saved is an Airstream Part earned. It's all about priorities.
I know this is short notice but I still have tomorrow with DSL and Chris has to work Friday. Then it's up to the Airstream Park for the Margarita Party and on the road
chris&mareinmn
So I suppose we will have to be chris&marefrommn :
cmgirdwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 06:06 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to suekozin
internet provider

This is a question I have wondered my self. I have been moving my internet addresses to Yahoo. I can acesses my accounts (several) from any computer. I will be interested in what others say.

Best of luck to you in your travels.

Sue Kozin

WBCCI #4734
Escapees #52374
1968 Land Yacht International

At least I haven't been bored.....s kozin
suekozin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 06:12 AM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
One of the best options I have seen is to have a celluar plan with unlimited nights and weekends. Then get a cell phone that can be used to connect to the computer. Normally the Cell provider includes free Long DIstance. So you can use whatever ISP is the cheapest wherever they are and connect to the web wherever you have cell coverage. You are more than likley going to have a cell phone anyway, right?

I use verizon and the coverage nationwide is good. There is no great neationwide coverage as far as I can tell. Just remember to learn how your phone tells you that you are in roam 'cause then all bets are off regarding "Free" min.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 06:16 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I think NetZero, still has limited free accounts available. Something like 10 free hours a month. They have dial ups for around $9.95 a month.

One thing to consider, is a cell phone with text messaging. With Verizon, you can get an email address for text messages, but most text messages have to be under 140 characters. May or may not be usefull to some folks.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 04:02 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
(quote)I think NetZero, still has limited free accounts available. Something like 10 free hours a month. They have dial ups for around $9.95 a month. (end quote)

I have Juno, ten hours a month are free, more than that is $9.95/month, as advertised. The only minus is, the lack of phone numbers for access.

Terry
(in Florida)
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 05:08 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

FYI, Juno was acquired by Net Zero.
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 03:52 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

I use an ISP called highstream: www.highstream.net. It's $8.95 per month and they have lots of dial up no.s. I move between a little town in N VT and a little town in Central FL. They are the only service I've found that has a number in each of these out of the way places. I also keep my email acc'ts on Yahoo so I can access them from any computer, i.e. from a friend's home or from the library, if necessary. You have to go online to sign up as far as I can tell. Customer service has a toll free number and reg biz hours, you'll get the # when you sign up. You have to look up your new local access number online or call customer service when you plan to be in a new place. This may present a problem if you don't know what the local area will be where you're going; sometimes the local number is not in the exact town you're going to be in, but the next town. Customer service is not always helpful there as they can't know the local geography for the whole country. You might be able to sidestep this problem by waiting until you've arrived at your next destination, then researching the local exchanges, then going to CS for help. I think the cell phone idea might be OK, esp if you're always going to be near a populous area. I don't have cell service at my location in VT, for instance. Verizon does have good coverage, but unlimited night and weekend time for them and others usually starts after 9PM, which might be a consideration for some folks.
otha1 is offline   Reply With Quote