Old 01-04-2007, 11:06 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Chuck,

Agreed. The Super Steer bellcranks are a most worthwhile addition to the P30 chassis, judging by comments other P30 owners have made.

I am not able to quantify the mods I made to my chassis, because I had them all done at once. If I had to rank the chassis mods, I'd go with the Bilstein shocks and steering dampner, then the Roadmaster sway bar kit and then the bellcranks (on my coach the bellcranks were not worn out, but I replaced them anyway). The Safe Steer does not add much in the way of improved handling, I don't believe.

If the Super Steer panhard rod would fit my chassis, I'd put it on in a heartbeat. But, since I have a tag axle, I'll have to have a custom panhard rod fabricated, if I really, really want one.

Glad to hear that Airstreaming is doing well in Great Britain. I'd wager that your coach attracts quite a crowd wherever you go?

Also pleased to hear that you can navigate the narrow roads in the UK successfully. I've only driven my caoch a couple thousand miles, mostly on our freeways, and I'm still learning how wide and long it is! Not quite ready for the country lanes just yet!

Best Regards,

FRank

Old 01-11-2007, 12:32 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Taxman, come on up to Shaw AFB in Sumter SC. We'll treat you right. We also have the best darn golf course in the AF.
I'll do that, Glen. Thanks for the invite! I'm a par nine golfer, BTW: If the little white ball does not go in the little hole in nine strokes, I pick it up and go to the next tee!

33' 1990 Airstream Land Yacht: Edelbrock, Banks, Gear Vendors, MSD, Taylor wires, Super Steer bell cranks, Bilsteins, Roadmaster sway bar, Safe Steer, Pressure Pro, Crossfire, Bigfoot levelers, Rickson 7.5" rims & 245/70 R19.5 Bridgestones on steer axle.
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1992 30' Land Yacht
Bakersfield , California
Sway Bars

I noted that you had the Roadmaster front sway bar installed, and installed new polyurethane bushings in the rear sway bar.
Is the Roadmaster rear sway bar worth the cost? How much help does the Roadmaster rear bar provide over the factory rear unit?
Old 01-11-2007, 06:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
I was out at Shaw AFB today and thank God the security forces checked me in through the contractor gate with the Airstream and found that I'd been driving around with an expired tag... for the past seven months?!!
Of course even with current insurance I was turn around and had to reschedule my visit with the golf pro til 2pm. Went to the county tax office to pay my property tax and then to DMV for a new sticker.... glad they spotted it before I left for Florida.
The golf course at Parris Island MCRS is still growing and mowing bermuda grass.
Being a "Par 9" golfer sounds great. Wonder if we could encourage more new golfers to do the same. It's something I've encouraged my students to do in the past.
Just come on down / up and we'll tee it up for certain.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:31 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlGeo
I noted that you had the Roadmaster front sway bar installed, and installed new polyurethane bushings in the rear sway bar.
Is the Roadmaster rear sway bar worth the cost? How much help does the Roadmaster rear bar provide over the factory rear unit?
That is correct -- the kit includes new rear bushings.

In a word, yes! I have no idea how to quantify my answer though, except to say that my past experience with larger sway bars in other vehicles has been very positive. They "tighten up" the chassis, tie it together, if you will.

You will notice a distinct improvement -- less sway and you'll have better control of the vehicle.

Needless to say, I am a big fan of large sway bars!

33' 1990 Airstream Land Yacht: Edelbrock, Banks, Gear Vendors, MSD, Taylor wires, Super Steer bell cranks, Bilsteins, Roadmaster sway bar, Safe Steer, Pressure Pro, Crossfire, Bigfoot levelers, Rickson 7.5" rims & 245/70 R19.5 Bridgestones on steer axle.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:18 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1992 30' Land Yacht
Bakersfield , California
Chassis Modifications

Just picked up my 30ft 1992 Land Yacht w/P30 chassis from Camping World after having the following modifications made: Bilstein shocks all around, Bilstein Steering Stablizer, Roadmaster front sway bar with new polyurethane bushings for stock rear sway bar, Super Steer Bell Cranks, and Steer Safe units.

Although its only about 12 miles from Camping World to my home, I could certainly feel and experience a great improvement in stability and control of the vehicle. Im very pleased with the modifications and would recommend them to anyone with a similar chassis.

Taxman, your praise of the above modifications first drew my attention, and I really appreciate your info because it gave me a guide to follow. Soon I will complete the modifications with installation of the Banks Power Pak system.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:30 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlGeo
Taxman, your praise of the above modifications first drew my attention, and I really appreciate your info because it gave me a guide to follow. Soon I will complete the modifications with installation of the Banks Power Pak system.
Well, I am delighted you read my post and decided to act on it. Not only do our Land Yachts handle much better, they are much safer!

You will like the Banks, too. I guarantee it!

You might consider the Super SteerŪRear Stabilizer Bar. I cannot install one on mine because the tag axles and air bag suspension components are in the way. Supposed to eliminate rear axle/frame movement further "tighten up" the coach, making is less susceptable to rear end "push." I may have one custom made for me, if I cannot find one that will bolt on.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:24 AM   #22
Klaus from Germany

Nuernberg , Bayern
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman
Well, I am delighted you read my post and decided to act on it. Not only do our Land Yachts handle much better, they are much safer!

You will like the Banks, too. I guarantee it!

You might consider the Super SteerŪRear Stabilizer Bar. I cannot install one on mine because the tag axles and air bag suspension components are in the way. Supposed to eliminate rear axle/frame movement further "tighten up" the coach, making is less susceptable to rear end "push." I may have one custom made for me, if I cannot find one that will bolt on.
Hello Taxman
I agree in every position you change on your P30 chassis
On my 250CL (1991) with 6.2 Diesel I have changed additional
the Springs to get more ride height because the OEM Springs
was definitely too weak.
My question, your wrote about Banks Powerpack.
Do you mean the turbo for the 6.2l Diesel from Banks?
And one more question, the Super Steer bell cranks
suggest you to change both or just one (steering side)
Regards Klaus from Germany
Old 01-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1992 30' Land Yacht
Bakersfield , California
Banks Power Pak

Taxman, does your Land Yacht have the automatic leveling jacks installed? I know you have the Banks Power Pak installed. Camping World tole me they cannot install the Power Pak on my '92 Land Yacht 30ft because it doesnt have sufficient clearance between the jacks for the exhaust system to pass. Did you encounter a similar problem, and if so how did CW resolve the problem?

Thanks
Old 01-30-2007, 05:25 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Klaus,

I own a gas Land Yacht, so the Banks kit was for the 454 Chevrolet engine.

You might write to Banks and inquire about a kit for your diesel -- Banks is famous for diesel power kits.

I changed both bellcranks.

Best regards,

FRank

PS Anything we can do to improve the handling of these "old technology" P30 chassis is, IMHO, worthwhile!

Old 02-13-2007, 08:45 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
CUMMING , GA
I, hopefully, will get my '88 345 out of the shop Friday. I am having new bell cranks, super steer and a roadmaster sway bar installed. The last shop I took it to said they couldn't get the bilsteins to fit so they installed ranchos. a definite improvement over worn out shocks. crossing my figures that a month after purchase I will be on the road. Spoke to Jeff at Banks and am waiting to hear from him about who to go to for the powerpack and, get this, am thinking about really gearheading and going for 4WD. SALEM Kroger says they can do it but I have heard less than glowing reveiws about their conversions on the RV.net forum. I am also a little leery because they suggested they would use a Dana 60 i=on the front end and that seems a bit light. Any thoughts from anyone?