Old 10-18-2004, 07:27 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member
Originally Posted by swebster
Junk yard bolt in fuel injection? Now you're talkin' my language! Tell me more!
Glad you found it, sounds like the the primary needles were never able to fully seat in the jets.
this is the "power valve" system in the Q jet.
Without the needles fully down in the jets, it was running rich all the time.
About the only time it was "right" was when it was at full throttle.
you will see a good improvement in mileage.
Just to note:
Since we have gone to unleaded gas, the "Exhaust pipes" don't burn that light gray that used to years ago, (that was lead deposits) they are a dark chocolate now.

Watch out, you just might like the ol Carb system!!

George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 01:40 PM   #30
Rivet Master
1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Originally Posted by swebster
Junk yard bolt in fuel injection? Now you're talkin' my language! Tell me more!
John is painfully slow on filling orders on full systems but he has the information you need to make your own "Kit" from an existing FI. The key to make it easy in your case is pulling a system from the years I posted. I bought my system for $250 to get the ECM, Factory Harness, Throttle body and most of the sensors. What I will need a a fuel pump making the correct fuel pressure and a O2 sensor.
That will get me a system that will run. Now the factory system did run a "FI" cam BUT with the ADSL cable and a laptop or in your case just plug into your onboard computer you can data log the system. John can then burn you a chip tailored to the engine needs.

In addition to my Suburban that system was used on Crew cabs of the same body style and Vans. The Vans are a nice find because they have a longer harness to reach under the driverseat. 90 they changed the intake to something closer to the 350tpi. It can be used but you will have to make an adaptor. John wil sell an adaptor but its still not s smoth flowing set up like the previous set up like I pictured.

Here are a few other links.

EFI TBI TPI Fuel Injection: (FI conversion stuff) (GM Computer error codes) (scanner for FI vehicles) - TBI Air Cleaner Mod ? TBI (harness kits too) (don?t know anything about these guys) (highly recommended for laptops) TPI Conversion For 85-92 TPI

1959 22' Caravanner
1988 R20 454 Suburban.
Atlanta, GA
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 06:34 AM   #31
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Talking Me thinks she's cured

We just returned from a 650 mile round trip for the forum rally in GA. Seems like we have this running rich issue licked (FINALLY!)

Ran well the entire trip, pulled hills with no problems, the rich smell and black sooty smoke was gone, and we made it there and back on just under one tank of gas.

The "back of the napkin calculations" came in at 8.7 mpg! Way better than expected pulling some long steep grades in Tennesse and Georgia.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Steven Webster
1986 Airstream 345 Classic Motorhome
AIR 1760
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote