Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
I Need a Brake!!

I need, at least, to replace the brake pads on the front of the Zeppelin, a 91 360. Does anyone have, by chance, the part numbers, and knowledge of what might make this easier to do? What do I need to lubricate while I've got the pads out of the calipers?
I'll be crawling under the rig tomorrow sometime for a close assessment.
Thanks to all,

Rob
ralley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Smile I need a Brake

I do not have the part# . but you want to use a pad that is cerro-metallic in composition. Be sure and check to see that the disc is more than minimum thickness for safety. I always install new pads and use brake lube at any point where there is metal to metal contact. Don't overlube but the lube will assure you don't have to endure noise. The squealing noise is actually vibration, but we hear it as a squeal. While you are there, you might see how long it has been since the wheel bearings were cleaned, inspected and repacked. Be sure to replace the grease seal if you repack the bearings. If you are not familiar with all this a trip to the library will give you a look at the Chev service manual which details all you need. If they don't have the Chev manual, they will have several books on automotive chassis and brakes. Put your rig up on a heavy duty set of jack stands for safety. Hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Depends on the chassis.

For a Chevy 1991 P-30 chassis they are the same as the 1991 P-30 Van.

Most auto parts places do not have MH's in their parts book in almost every case parts for the P-30 Van is the part number you need to use but they (parts folks) will try to sell you parts for a 1 ton PU and you end up making two trips.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
All:

Thanks very much. Had a look yesterday afternoon; there is enough scoring on the LF rotor to require turning, which will slow this job down just enough so that I think I need to have it done, rather than educate myself in the doing of it. I intend to be at the shop when they do the work--so I'll know the next time. I have a hard deadline of next Tuesday to complete.

Best to all,

R
ralley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:24 AM   #5
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I had to put brakes on the Silver Bullet. I didn't know I had a problem till I had new tires put on the drive axle and saw the rear disk was gone. Was surprised the new disk was so cheap. Just the pain of pulling the axle to replace the disk. I change all the brake pads, flexible lines and master cylinder as well as replace the magnet in the tag axle. Still don't have the braking power I think I should.
mel
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote