Old 10-04-2003, 09:34 PM   #1
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I am an idiot!

If anyone read about my radiator replacement saga why oh why did I not replace those darned heater hoses while I was in there? I know why...because they where on the "fix heater controls" part of my to do list and not on the "fix cooling system" part of my list.

So there I am driving down I-65 for a three day camping trip with the family...pulling 70 mph at 180 degrees...very proud of my repairs I might add when three things happen all at once: 1. I smell coolant. 2. the "low coolant" light comes on and 3. My son screams "there's smoke coming from the couch!"

After a momentary panic I realize its not smoke its steam. Pull off at the next exit, temp climbs immediately to 220 hard turn into a strip mall and shut her down right in the middle of the parking lot. BTW - you can really harang a 345 around when you're motivated!

My only saving grace was that I had two gallons of distilled water, heater hose, clamps, tools and a gallon of Prestone antifreeze on board. I also happened to be in an AutoZone parking lot (I don't know about you but I'm usually never this prepared or lucky when things break).

Open the storage compartment doors under the couch and there is a good gallon of boiling, foaming brand new coolant (with water wetter) staining my otherwise perfectly good carpet. After explaining several times to my hysterical children that this is NOT smoke from a fire...its steam and steam can't light the RV on fire. I let things cool down and began figuring out what happened.

Of course I immeadiately remember a post from someone when I first got the coach to check the aux heater hoses - as they are a weak point and commonly smell of coolant inside the coach and thinking to myself "people on the forum are smart - I should do a better job of listening to them - I am an idiot".

OK looks like the inlet hose was a PO masterpiece so pop into AutoZone buy a $1.68 heater hose double ended plastic connector and a package of hose clamps, get out the knife and the screwdriver and five minutes later I'm filling up coolant and water and we are on our way. Campground is only fifteen miles away! Dad is smart!

Five miles down the road and the light comes on again. No smell no steam so it must just be pulling coolant into the system from the reservoir - right? OK...pull into BP station, fill up the tank with water and keep on truckin'.

Five more miles down the road, light on, coolant smell, steam, more coolant on the now green, formally brown, carpet and an increasing panic from the wife and kids...pull into a church parking lot and repeat process. Oh yeah - its pretty darn dark now. This time I cut the hoses below the floor and use the plastic tube to rig up a bypass. Refill with water from the Church hose (thank you Pastor Mike) and off we go.

Finally made it to the campground...had the best trip ever, came home today with no low coolant lights - phew! Pretty sure the kids don't need therapy over this one as the overall weekend was a blast.

Tomorrow I'll be replacing the heater hoses, the heater control valves and installing some shut off valves as close to the output as possible.

People on this forum are smart - I am an idiot - but I'm learning

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 12:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
Thanks for the info.

I will be doing that type of preventive maintenance soon, so this came right on time. Your experience is our lesson, and since nothing extremely harmful happened, especially to your kids, then I'd say you Guardian angels were there with you.

By the way, I said I was an idiot once in front of my 8 year old, and he told me that the devil makes people say that. He learned that at school. So now I make it a habit of saying that I meant for something to break so I could learn how to fix it and learn patience. Still feels bad tough!

Old 10-05-2003, 12:35 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
You did good - grace under pressure (no pun intended or did I)... Thats the thing about learning things from the forum - you read enough and end up knowing enough - that you prevent yourself from being a captive of the situation.... You handled it the way it should... great job!
Old 10-05-2003, 06:00 AM   #4
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Thumbs up

Steven, remember the recent exchange we had about 'state of mind' and getting to know your rig.
Imagine what waiting for the tow truck would have done to your weekend. Well done!
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 06:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I used ball valves, they don't take a lot of space and quarter turn to off. While you are working on the aux heater, don't forget the main heater. Doubtless that will be the next thing to go.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	3386  
Old 10-05-2003, 06:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Good job, Steve.

BTW, does anyone know where the "low coolant" sensor is located?

The 345 gives me that indication (low coolant) on occasion, and I always thought it was similar to the "water in fuel" intermitant light (no Water in Fuel sensor installed, that was a Diesel option), which I simply ignore. I had assumed (that word again) that the low coolant indicator was in the overflow reservoir, and, since my reservoir was replaced shortly before I bought it, it was simply not replaced. Granted, an overflow reservoir is not the best place to put a "low coolant" sensor, but I have been unable to locate a fluid sensor in the active cooling system. The only sensor I have found in the radiator is on the aft port side where the temp sensor for the aux radiator fan is located (at least I think it is the temp sensor).

Thanks again for the story, Steve. I now have renewed interest to identify and locate ALL of the sensors (real and imaginary) in the system.

IMHO the engineer who designed the forward access to the engine should be forced to change out the belts on a hot engine while standing on the side of a busy interstate. (Expletive inserted), THAT requirement should be mandatory in every Mechanical Engineering 101 Course!

Thanks for the heads up on your experience. The couch heater hoses, as well as the engine hoses going to the hot water heater, are scheduled for replacement this winter, but those are among the things that tend to get put off for one reason or the other. -- (Greasy wheel....and all else that "needs" to be done.)

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 06:32 AM   #7
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Motorhome repairs & plumbing...

Quote:
Originally posted by 74Argosy24MH
I used ball valves, they don't take a lot of space and quarter turn to off. While you are working on the aux heater, don't forget the main heater. Doubtless that will be the next thing to go.

John
Steve... welcome to the world of old motorhomes! I was fortunate with mine... all I had to change on the road (parked on the street in front of a NAPA store in Fort Dodge IA at 6pm) was a fan belt. Nasty, but doable. You did admirably!

John...

That is, without a doubt, one of THE most sanitary plumbing installations I've ever seen! Congratulations! Airstream stock stuff should look so good!

Roger
Old 10-05-2003, 06:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Dennis

The low coolant sensor will be in the radiator itself, single wire and very near the top.

John
Old 10-05-2003, 06:41 AM   #9
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by 74Argosy24MH

John
Look at that plumbing!!
I used the brass ball valve myself for the heater core shut-off. Besides ease of operation they tend to actual work when you need to use them (they don't freeze up as easily as others).
Talking about heater cores. IMHO they should be recored at the same time as the radiator.
AIR #13
Old 10-05-2003, 06:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Expletive!Expletive!Expletive!

The low coolant sensor.

Mine keeps coming on. To me, that is an indication that I'm losing fluid, the only time I see a loss is at shut down, soooooo....

Theory...Exhaust gases creeping into the coolant system.

Please, please, someone tell me I am wrong.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 06:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Talking about heater cores. IMHO they should be recored at the same time as the radiator.
You bet. They are made the same of the same material and under 16 lbs. of pressure. When the radiator goes they can't be far behind.

John
Old 10-05-2003, 07:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Dennis

I know this is nearly an impossibility, but if you have pressure in the coolant from the combustion chamber you will see bubbles in the coolant when you pull the radiator cap (the impossible part).

Do you let it idle for a few minutes before shutting the engine down? I would bet the engine heat is building after the coolant has stopped circulating and the cap is releasing pressure. You could change caps and see if that helps.

I wired my electric fans straight off the battery instead of the ignition. If the senders still show enough heat in the engine, or heat builds after shutdown, they will keep running.

John
Old 10-05-2003, 07:09 AM   #13
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Re: Expletive!Expletive!Expletive!

Quote:
Originally posted by 87airstream345
Mine keeps coming on. To me, that is an indication that I'm losing fluid, the only time I see a loss is at shut down, soooooo....

Theory...Exhaust gases creeping into the coolant system.

Please, please, someone tell me I am wrong.
Exhaust gases creeping into the coolant system=coolant creeping into combustion chamber=small puffs of white smoke???
AIR #13
Old 10-05-2003, 07:23 AM   #14
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
It's always the little things that get you

Quote:
I used ball valves; they don't take a lot of space and quarter turn to off. While
John - somehow I knew you would have dealt with this already in your Argosy. We need to figure out how to get you a job at Airstream. I'll be trying to replicate your setup today on the MH.

Quote:
BTW, does anyone know where the "low coolant" sensor is located?
Dennis - the low coolant sensor in my 345 is in the reservoir...pretty simple: two bolts through the tank about four inches from the bottom connected by two green wires (same setup as the low windshield washer sensor). Iím assuming that the presence of fluid on the bolts provides enough continuity to the circuit to keep the light off. If yours are missing then your light will always be on. If the leads are attached to the new reservoir make sure they are tight. If there are no leads make sure the PO didn't "hot wire" them together.

I was definitely lucky....a whole lot more could have gone wrong. It's all about checking off the little things on all of our ďto doĒ lists to make our old beauties more reliable. I should have tackled thse hoses when the nose was off for the new WP, belts, hoses and radiator repairs - but I was in a hurry to get her back on the road. I learned that lesson.

I spent a great deal of time on big things so farÖtime to work on the little gremlins one by one.

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote