Old 10-05-2003, 01:25 PM   #15
Site Team

, Minnesota
I am NOT an idiot!

When I first saw this thread topic, I thought it was a neat ploy to get responders, so "Iam an idiot" would show up in front of their names on the recent postings list.
Boy was I wrong. Great thread.
As a bonus, anyone who responds to my thread will get to see "I am NOT an idiot" in front of their name, thereby reversing any previous statements.
LOL-

Don in Minnetonka

Old 10-05-2003, 01:38 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Unhappy sensor gone!

Your post made me look at mine and I don't have a sensor on the overflow tank....looks like PO replaced with an aftermarket bottle to save probably a bunch.....will have to keep a closer eye on overflow bottle at fillups and watch temp guage closer too...jem

zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 05:11 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
BTW, does anyone know where the "low coolant" sensor is located?

Dennis, the low coolant sensor is located on the right side of the radiator, about 2" from the top, on the engine side (the side that faces the fan). It shopuld be a crew-in affair, with a single wire and plug.
Terry
Old 10-05-2003, 05:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
The low coolant sensor is located on the right side of the radiator.

Terry:

I intrepret this to mean it is curb (starboard) side.

Thanks a lot!

I traced out the fan controls, and the aux fan radiator sensor is mounted midway up on the rearward (engine side) port side radiator head. It also is a single lead (activate to ground) sensor.

I took a test run with the 345 today. Filled the radiator, and marked the level of the reservoir. After an 80 mile run, the reservoir was at the overflow tube, but after total cooling, the reservoir level dropped to the initial starting point, and............. the radiator was also full! At least no evidence of head to radiator leakage today!

I'm paranoid about the engine head/gasket/water system thing.

That was the demise of a couple of my high mileage slugmobiles in the past.

With the engine temp normally in the 210-220 range, it is feasible that the radiator/coolant system could develope a hole, (or lose the radiator cap), allowing the coolant to boil out at 212 degrees, (I know, slim chance of that happening with 30-50% antifreeze, but like I said, paranoia has set in), and not noticing any abnormalities until serious damage has been done to the engine.

One of this winter's activities will be the installation of a fairly complete engine/transmission/coach monitoring system. At that point I may not be able to prevent serious damage, but at least I will know about it when it happens.

Thanks to everyone for all the great input.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 06:56 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

One of the best test tools I have had for the last 30 years has been a Stant Pressure Testing Kit. You would be surprised at at the number of quick fixes are accomplished by replacing a defective radiator cap or tightening clamps in the cooling system.

A bad radiator cap can cause your vehicle to run very poorly since it can never warm up until it runs out of fluid. Pressurizing a cooling system and watching the pressure gauge drop, allows you to really check for leaks without having the engine running and cutting your fingers off.

If you don't have one, find a "friend" who does!
Old 10-06-2003, 04:43 PM   #20
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I'm paranoid about the engine head/gasket/water system thing.

That was the demise of a couple of my high mileage slugmobiles in the past.

Dennis, to put your mind at ease, find a reputable radiator shop, call them, and tell them you would like a "dye test". This is a special dye that when exposed to certain combustion gasses, will turn color. If no color change is observed, you are good to go.
If the dye changes color (usually from blue to green or yellow) it indicates a leak of combustion gasses into the cooling system, and further investigation is required.
Stay Cool...
Terry
Old 10-06-2003, 07:59 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
et and Terry --

Thanks for the great ideas.

Both the Pressure Testing Kit and the Hydrocarbon Detector will be of great benefit in checking out the coolant system.

Thanks again.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote