Old 02-02-2006, 09:46 AM   #15
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Smile PicturesThat I promised!

Here are pictures that show 1. spot where old mirrors were positioned where there is no paint, 2. New arm installed showing hole where cb cable came out, haven't figured out where to mount cb antenae yet, 3. view of arm showing where I will have to touch up paint.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	18139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror5.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	18140  

Name:	Mirror6.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	18141  

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:48 AM   #16
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Cool Installing new mirrors:

Has anyone else noticed this? When I post a reply, if I type in the header first, then I cannot switch to the body block of the message and type. I have to type the body first and then the header to make it workl.

Okay, I got the left side mirror installed yesterday and it looks great. I was able to tap the holes with my 7/32 tap and use the bolts from the original mirrors. Much stronger! I am including pictures.

I have now installed the right side mirror and have snaked the wires using a piece of plastic weed trimmer line so as not to short something out. I have the wires already run to the drivers side of the dash board. Today I will install the switch box and wire it all up. One problem though!! It is snowing and turning a lot colder.

I wanted to move the right side mirror further to the rear and was able to move it maybe half an inch. The backing plate doesn't run back far enough. I don't know how they attached that plate, but it is thick and strong and can't be moved. That will leave the mirror partially blocked by the windshield post. Not too bad though.

I am posting pictures of the old right side mirror so one can see the improvement. Looks a lot better and the view from the drivers seat is very much improved.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mirror8.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	18158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror9.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	18159  

Name:	Mirror10.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	18160  

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 02-05-2006, 03:06 PM   #17
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Cool Turned Really Cold.

On Friday I worked on the system inside the motorhome. I cut a hole in the console beneath the power seat control an inch and a half square to mount the switch in, and ran all the wires. I hooked up to power and tried the mirrors and they worked great.

Meanwhile it has turned cold here in Minnesooota and I had to have some heat. We had inherited a little 1500 watt heater from the PO, so I plugged it in. I was surprised how much heat it gave. I was able to work without my coat or gloves very comfortably. It got down to 8 degrees out here in the woods that night. I did not want to fire up the furnace in the building even though the big doors were open. Not enough ventilation in there.

I have shut down for the Super Bowl weekend now and will resume on Monday. I will say that the difference in the view of the mirrors is dramatic. I will take pictures of old mirrors in place and then same view with new mirrors. I am very happy with them.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 02-05-2006, 05:39 PM   #18
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Jim,
Nice looking installation. They look like they'll be a major improvement over the old mirrors. I have the Velvac (power, heated, etc) but they don't extend our as much as those Ramcos. I'm anxious to hear about how they perform on the road - once it warms up a bit of course!
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:29 AM   #19
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Talking Good View

Thanks! They do extend out a ways so I'll need to careful putting it into and out of the shed. I won't be getting her out for a couple months yet though. My Mother is in a Nursing Home and I am all that is left to take her goodies and such, so we can't go anyplace this Winter. Wife is too busy with her career anyway.

A side note. I don't winterize with anti-freeze anymore. Gotten lots of critisizm, but I use the cheapest Vodka I can buy. Have been using it for years now. Andy told me once in a post that it would dissolve all the plastic connections, but it hasn't. No after taste, and it sanitizes at the same time.
I suppose if one wanted to, one could have a party flushing it out of the lines in the spring as well. Probably pretty stale by then though.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 02-06-2006, 10:45 AM   #20
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Can I help you de-winterize? I'll bring the tonic and limes
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:49 AM   #21
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Thumbs up De-winterize!!

Probably should schedule a rally around it in the Spring. Takes about four fifths to do it and that fills the lines and filter with vodka. costs about 30 bucks.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 02-07-2006, 11:32 AM   #22
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Talking Power Mirrors Installed!

Got it all installed. I will now post pictures showing the old mirrors and in the next post will post pictures of the controls.

It worked out very well and I am really surprised at how much travel the power mirrors have. I would expect about 30 degrees. (That's a guess).

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mirror11.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	18277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror13.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	18278  

Name:	Mirror14.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	18279  

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 02-07-2006, 11:36 AM   #23
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Thumbs up Mirror Controls

Here are photos of the controls. I was able to get power from the power seat controls, so I did not have to run another line.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mirror15.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	18280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror16.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	18281  

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 02-08-2006, 07:22 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Nice work Jim. I'm sure you're going to feel much safer with the better view to the side and rear. I'm happy that I solved my low curb side situation with my Ramco mirrors by simply lifting the mount arm. I didn't have to do anything but use a longer mount bolt and spacer. Cost was less than $10.
This time of year the heat function is worth it all.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:23 PM   #25
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Talking Re-installing the CB anennae:

I finially got around to re-installing the cb antennae on the unit today. It was previously mounted on the old mirrors. The new mirrors wouldn't work with that kind of mount and I did not want to drill into the bracket and weaken it and it was already drilled to mount the turn signal. I decided to mount the old L shaped bracket right onto the side of the unit just in front of the new mirror bracket.
I reasoned that the aluminum skin is not strong enough to take the strain of the mounting bolts by itself. The strain of the wind and vibration would elongate the 1/4 inch bolt holes and crack the skin. I needed a backing plate.
I took a 3/3 piece of aluminum plate and drilled it to match the original bracket and tapped it for 1/4 machine screws so I wouldn't have to put nuts on the back side. The reason is that I could not get my hand into the space to put the nuts on.
Now the problem became how to get the plate itself into place. I solved it placing the backing plate on the outside where I wanted to mount the bracket and marking it and then drilling the four holes. I then inserted two flexable wires into the right top and bottom left holes. Moving inside the motorhome I pulled the wires in and inserted them into the corresponding holes of the backing plate and taped them together behind the plate. Moving outside again, I pulled on the flex wires and drew the plate into place where I could insert two of the mounting screws through the bracket and start them into the backing place. Then with a pliers, I cut the flex wires off and puched them out of the holes and inserted the other two screws. I then tightened the mounting screws and reattached the antennae wire to the antennae.

It came out looking pretty good and the antennae is only an inch or two from it's original position. {see photos).

Glad this is done!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CB_Antennae1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	18822   Click image for larger version

Name:	CB_Antennae2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	18823  

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 02-28-2006, 05:49 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1989 37' Airstream 370
Hastings , Minnesota
New mirrors

Jim, your new mirrors look great and you did a neat job.

Have a good night,

Pat370
Old 02-28-2006, 06:40 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Hey Jim you weren't and engineer in a previous life where you? I'm amazed at the resorcefulness of your installation of the cb mount. Great idea. I often look at things from all angles before commiting to a method. This takes way more time than just plunging into a job. The results are often mixed but I've at least got the peace of mind that it was the way I "thought" it should be. Roughly translated that means, "it worked well on paper."
Nice job, tremendous application.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:08 PM   #28
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
To tell the truth Glen, I was an a and e (airfrrame and engines) mechanic on aircraft in another life. I wanted it to look like it was meant to be that way and I gave it a lot of thought.
Thanks for the feedback both Glen and Pat.

VFW, LEGION, NRA