Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #21
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post
Sorry, my error. I wasn't thinking I met EFI. I'm on drugs, I'm in a New Orleans hospital, I'm stoned. my cell phone don't work. I can leave the room, at least Tulane MC has wifi.
Get my out of here!!!! My AS awaits me on the other side of the river. Oh, my wife is there... And my cat... And a lot of work.
mel
Mel,

We knew that....

Get Well Soon
Old 01-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1980 22' Caravelle
1975 20' Argosy 20
woking , surrey
The vacuum meter I will order. The headers I am also interested in to buy but I have absolutely no idea which ones. I have been at 10+ sites and have absoluetely no idea which headers to buy. Can someone tell me what will fit on the 350 in an argosy 20? (brand name/part number?

thx

Wiebe
turfclubroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Having a little experience with headers in our Winter environment, I went with Gale Banks Stainless. On a MH not exposed to the same conditions a coated set specifectly designed for your application should work very well. Here are the two I have delt with in the past.

Banks 15-75% off Sale! We're Blowing Out Dealer Stock Adjustment Merchandise

Hedman Hedders - HEDMAN HEDDERS- Performance Hedders (headers), exhaust systems and tips

Along with headers, consider opening up the intake with a cold air system to take advantage of the improved exhaust flow. Call they can answer any questions.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:48 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Western , Washington
headers

as rednex posted in #4 , doug thurly 'tri y' headers are best suited for maximum torque in the power band of said engine torque. common headers can be installed with individual exhaust pipe(runners) to tune an engine for maximum torque in drag racing. but while the 'rv' engine max torque is in the lower rpm range. check the internet for graphs of the diference of 'tri y' headers. as stated in previous posts, once you start reengineering on systems, intake,ignition,exhaust,you end up with rebuilding the whole power plant. i note that this motorhome is for the U.K. with higher fuel costs, maybe a cheaper solution is low restriction intake, vacuum gage, and low restriction exhaust mufflers. go slow, its not the destination but the jurneory and the camp with friends, jeff
acgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:36 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Once you decide on the application the price is generally best at Summitracing.com You can engineer an H pipe to equalize between the headers.

I'm curious about the comment about "power band" as I doubt most of us ever operate in any way close to the power band of our engines. Torque comes on early but power is in the higher rpm ranges we all avoid....or should. ??right??
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1980 22' Caravelle
1975 20' Argosy 20
woking , surrey
Lots of p-30 chassis chevy engine headers everywhere..... but I have not found any for a chevy small block. I just sent en enquiry to Doug Thorley, but they wont answr till monday/tuesday... Does anybody have a lead or is the 350 just not common enough in a p-30 chassis to make headers for?

thx

Wiebe
turfclubroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:51 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Wiebe, make sure when you search to use SBC rather than 350. That may open up a few more opportunities.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #28
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Vacuum gauge is paramount when trying to get better mileage. With a SBC 350 you are waay short in the britches on power as compared to the 454. I especially liked the suggestion of an airspeed indicator as this takes into account the headwind you are bucking too. On a small block, Edelbrock makes an intake manifold that gives the SB better breathing and works well with headers and modified exhaust. Another improvement is the Carter electric choke 650 cfm 4 bbl carb. Much improvement over stock on the SBC.
kmpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #29

1988 29' Airstream 290
Casa Grande , Arizona
Gent's

I stumbled across this 4 year old thread searching for fuel efficiency suggestions for a SBC in an RV.

I've just joined the forum to do one thing. To thank you all for an excellent exchange of idea's but especially to thank Mr. "Slowmover" for his excellent input.

I do not even own an Airstream, I had to say that I did in order to join Mine is an 88 Gulfstream.

Thanks again

Trevor Heath
trevorheath is offline   Reply With Quote