Old 01-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
It may be a less than legal thing to do, but getting rid of that EGR will get you some more mileage.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
gauges

A vacuum gauge is a considerable help along with an "air speed" indicator.

Vacuum gauge says easy on the gas pedal.

Air speed indicator says slow down with a head wind and you can increase speed with a tail wind.

The learning curve is rather quick, if you obey what the gauges tell you.

Andy

Old 01-13-2010, 06:53 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Western , Washington
vacuum gage

the use of the vacuum gage while driving hills and against a head winds, is to moniter the engine. while motoring at speed, your engine will have a reading of vacuum in 'inches of mercury'. lets say 10 to 12 inches on the gage. as you aproach a hill, the engine speed reduces and you press on the throttle which reduces engine vacuum, 9 to 10 inches. now here is where you need to know what type of carburator you have on said engine. a stock chevy would have a rochester or have been replaced with an after market 'holley'. as you press on the throttle and reduce engine vacuum you reach a point where the carburator fuel enrichment circuit open , admitting more fuel, in the case of the stock rochester it is 23% more fuel at 7 1/2 inches of vacuum. therefore you let hill climbing speed fall of and shift into next lower gear, which will alow higher vacuum and slower speed but staying away from the fuel enrichment circuit. the 'holley' have the same thing with 'hot rod' parts to adjust where you want the fuel enrichment to open, open road crusing in the enrichment range will kill your MPG. i have had small and big block chevys with good sucess. by using a vacuum gage. good luck, jeff
Old 01-13-2010, 07:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
In order of $$ spent I did the following.

Tire Pressure, Fluids update, Air intake remote, MDS multi-spark ignition, Headman Headers including Flowmaster 70 mufflers, GV overdrive.

TBI, may or may not be the answer on the small block. ROI on TBI and GV are long term but also can be factored into longer engine life due to lower rpm operations and computer controlled fuel/combustion.

So are you looking at a 20-24' Argo? Tell us the application.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Working on ways to increase "engine" efficiency is great.

But seldom, do owners, that have cars, trucks, motorhomes, work on improving the "driver" efficency, which is equally, if not more important.

In California, everyone gripes about the cost of fuel, but most all of them add 25 mph, to the posted speed limits, city as well as highway, when they are behind the wheel.

Traveling at 70 mph on California highways, even towing, is risky.

Others, fly by you and give you those ugly looks, as well as those choice fingers, just because your in their way.

Then later, over a cool or hot one, they complain about the terrible fuel mileage their vehicle gets, and the price of fuel.

Go figure.

Andy
Old 01-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #20
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Sorry, my error. I wasn't thinking I met EFI. I'm on drugs, I'm in a New Orleans hospital, I'm stoned. my cell phone don't work. I can leave the room, at least Tulane MC has wifi.
Get my out of here!!!! My AS awaits me on the other side of the river. Oh, my wife is there... And my cat... And a lot of work.
mel
Old 01-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #21
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post
Sorry, my error. I wasn't thinking I met EFI. I'm on drugs, I'm in a New Orleans hospital, I'm stoned. my cell phone don't work. I can leave the room, at least Tulane MC has wifi.
Get my out of here!!!! My AS awaits me on the other side of the river. Oh, my wife is there... And my cat... And a lot of work.
mel
Mel,

We knew that....

Get Well Soon

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:25 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1980 22' Caravelle
1975 20' Argosy 20
woking , surrey
The vacuum meter I will order. The headers I am also interested in to buy but I have absolutely no idea which ones. I have been at 10+ sites and have absoluetely no idea which headers to buy. Can someone tell me what will fit on the 350 in an argosy 20? (brand name/part number?

thx

Wiebe
Old 01-15-2010, 06:44 PM   #23
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Having a little experience with headers in our Winter environment, I went with Gale Banks Stainless. On a MH not exposed to the same conditions a coated set specifectly designed for your application should work very well. Here are the two I have delt with in the past.

Banks 15-75% off Sale! We're Blowing Out Dealer Stock Adjustment Merchandise

Hedman Hedders - HEDMAN HEDDERS- Performance Hedders (headers), exhaust systems and tips

Along with headers, consider opening up the intake with a cold air system to take advantage of the improved exhaust flow. Call they can answer any questions.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:48 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Western , Washington
headers

as rednex posted in #4 , doug thurly 'tri y' headers are best suited for maximum torque in the power band of said engine torque. common headers can be installed with individual exhaust pipe(runners) to tune an engine for maximum torque in drag racing. but while the 'rv' engine max torque is in the lower rpm range. check the internet for graphs of the diference of 'tri y' headers. as stated in previous posts, once you start reengineering on systems, intake,ignition,exhaust,you end up with rebuilding the whole power plant. i note that this motorhome is for the U.K. with higher fuel costs, maybe a cheaper solution is low restriction intake, vacuum gage, and low restriction exhaust mufflers. go slow, its not the destination but the jurneory and the camp with friends, jeff
Old 01-16-2010, 07:36 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Once you decide on the application the price is generally best at Summitracing.com You can engineer an H pipe to equalize between the headers.

I'm curious about the comment about "power band" as I doubt most of us ever operate in any way close to the power band of our engines. Torque comes on early but power is in the higher rpm ranges we all avoid....or should. ??right??
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 01-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1980 22' Caravelle
1975 20' Argosy 20
woking , surrey
Lots of p-30 chassis chevy engine headers everywhere..... but I have not found any for a chevy small block. I just sent en enquiry to Doug Thorley, but they wont answr till monday/tuesday... Does anybody have a lead or is the 350 just not common enough in a p-30 chassis to make headers for?

thx

Wiebe
Old 01-17-2010, 06:51 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Wiebe, make sure when you search to use SBC rather than 350. That may open up a few more opportunities.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 02-11-2010, 11:07 AM   #28
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Vacuum gauge is paramount when trying to get better mileage. With a SBC 350 you are waay short in the britches on power as compared to the 454. I especially liked the suggestion of an airspeed indicator as this takes into account the headwind you are bucking too. On a small block, Edelbrock makes an intake manifold that gives the SB better breathing and works well with headers and modified exhaust. Another improvement is the Carter electric choke 650 cfm 4 bbl carb. Much improvement over stock on the SBC.