Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Conroe , Texas
Unhappy Honda EU2000i Vibrates in eco mode only?

When I switch to eco mode my eu2000i starts to vibrate pretty badly. It doesn't surge, it doesn't require the choke like a lot of people seem to say happens when the carb jets are clogged. It just vibrates a lot in eco mode. Already tried seafoam and ran fresh gas for hours today, I changed the oil as well. Any ideas?? Thanks!
Patriot666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Mine did that. It sounds like your needle jet is getting a little dirty. Not enough to require choke, but on non Eco mode it runs at higher rpm and you can still get by. At the lower rpms of a non loaded eco mode, it does that.

Oh, it's not that hard to clean the jets. But, don't forget the one at the float. I cleaned mine twice and it still did this. Took it to the dealer and in 20 minutes he had it running like a champ....I forgot to clean the jet with the needle valve and seat by the float. DOH!

The ethanol gas we have now is really bad. Stabil won't stabilize it. (well I see they have a new formulation for ethanol gas....) My buddy who is a manager at Napa recommended I use Starline fuel stabilizer instead. It'd be nice to put an inline fuel shutoff valve on these little Honda's so you could just run the thing dry and not have to worry with it. The jets are microscopic on these things...it amazed me how small they were. As in, a sewing pin you can only insert the first little bit of it as it soon tapers to too large a diameter to go in. I'd like to put an inline cutoff valve, but not sure how to do it where you could access it from the outside. Need to drill a hole in the case and put a knob or something....

Anyway, it sounds like your's is starting to gum up but isn't really bad yet. Clean the needle valve seat and the jets and you'll probably be fine.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Conroe , Texas
Thanks so much for replying, I was also wondering...do I need compressed air to clean the carburetor? What tools/chemicals are required? I was considering taking it to a service shop because I don't have the equipment to do the job.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Conroe , Texas
Carb Clean NO HELP

I cleaned the carb twice, still vibrates while at idle in eco mode...what else could the problem be?
Old 05-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Is the choke opening all the way? Is the air cleaner clogged, or saturated with oil? Is the crankcase too full of oil?
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Conroe , Texas
The oil is fresh, just changed it. Filled to the proper level. I ran it with the air filter off just to check if it was the problem, didn't help. The choke works. I choke it to start, then turn the choke off after it's running. It's still vibrating. I'm not sure if the vibration is just more noticeable at low rpm, but there's definitely something wrong.

To be totally honest, I didn't soak the carb. I sprayed it out with carb cleaner. I actually did this twice. I disassembled it, just left the eco wiring hooked up. I see NO difference after cleaning the carb and jets. They were not dirty to begin with.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Did you disassemble the carburetor and clean the tiny ports and passages?

If the carburetor is clean, then perhaps some adjustments need to be made using a repair manual for procedure/specs, or a visit to the service department.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot666 View Post
I cleaned the carb twice, still vibrates while at idle in eco mode...what else could the problem be?
Are you positive the idle jet is clean and flows while spraying carb cleaner through it?
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Conroe , Texas
Unfortunately I believe I will be taking it to a Honda service shop. I cleaned the (already clean) carb out twice, paying close attention to all the tine ports. Maybe the valve timing needs adjusted? Is this a possibility?
Old 05-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Conroe , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Are you positive the idle jet is clean and flows while spraying carb cleaner through it?
Is the idle jet part of the main jet?
Old 05-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Conroe , Texas
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Honda 2000i Carb Job With Photos Must Read!!!!!

I used this thread for pics on how to clean the carb. Are there more jets to clean other than the main jet?
Old 05-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot666 View Post
Is the idle jet part of the main jet?
No, it should be in the carb body. It should have a pilot screw also. It sounds to me your idle circuit is plugged.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote