Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2006, 12:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
White Lake , Michigan
High oil pressure indicated on gauges

I have noticed that with the addition of a new and larger oil cooler to my 454 engine that my oil pressure seems to be running much higher...almost at the top...baring any problem with my gauge...what is the potential harm of high oil pressure? My oil level seems to be the same on my dip stick... but does the new oil cooler effect the proper level of oil level? It would seem that the level in my pan is still the proper method for measuring oil but I don't want to
do anything that will jeapardize my oil pump or engine life...Mr. D..
Mr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Well, Mr D, I know nothing about your particular engine, but in my book, cooler oil = thicker oil = higher oil pressure = good thing, so I would be very happy in your situation. But then what do I know...............
Nick.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:46 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Tidewater , Virginia
Is your cold oil pressure with the new cooler higher than your cold pressure without the new cooler? If so there is probably a problem, unless you also changed your oil to a heavier viscosity (10w-30 to 20w-50 for example) at the same time. Cold, pre- and post- cooler, oil pressures should be the same (or VERY close).

Take care,
A-6E All Weather Attack Driver, BUFF
USN Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Ret.
'91 Suburban R-2500 w/BBC
'78 Honda GL-1000
'72 Triumph T-100R Daytona
dinoburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Resistance

Your oil cooler and connecting hoses may have changed the dynamics in your oil system. What I mean is, where the oil pressure sensing sensor is located may be experiencing a little more back pressure - say if the lines were smaller diameter or the oil cooler was creating a back pressure that is being sensed by the sensor. This may not be a bad thing - the original sensor location and oil handling system was designed form the factory to sense the oil pressure with a designed oil flow from the pump to the rest of the engine, that has now changed with the addition of the oil cooler. BAD, GOOD, NO CHANGE???? all depends on the final oil distribution to the engine. If enough pressure is developed to push the oil through the cooler and to the rest of the engine then you are fine. There may be a test location on the engine to get post cooler pressure readings and give you your answer. Pull a valve cover, and run the engine - oil squirt all over the place??? then you have enough pressure.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:06 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
White Lake , Michigan
Do you think that other symtoms would occur if the oil distribution was not 100% ...such as over heating...performance issues..etc? Pulling a valve cover on my rig is no small item...if I could get by with some other indicators I would like to find that alternative...but at this point peace of mind would be worth pulling a valve cover...Mr. D.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:20 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Always the potential that the pressure sensor is faulty. Had this happen on a tow vehicle once. It just might be coincidental that it got sick about the time you made the cooler change.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
A new sensor won't set you back much money and installation is a breeze. Save the box and you'll have a spare if the reading is the same.
Also if you want to check the top end just pull the breather tube out and use a flash light to take a look at the top of the head under the cover. A dental mirror or some other type of devise inserted into the breather hole parallel to the top of the valve cover will give you a good indication of how much oil is squirting out without getting any on you.
Let us know what you find.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:44 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. D
Do you think that other symtoms would occur if the oil distribution was not 100% ...such as over heating...performance issues..etc? Pulling a valve cover on my rig is no small item...if I could get by with some other indicators I would like to find that alternative...but at this point peace of mind would be worth pulling a valve cover...Mr. D.
You can hook up a mechanical gauge where the sensor is now, and run the engine throughout it operating temps. A mechanical gauge with all its lines and adapters is only about $20. After you are done testing, you can put it back in its box until next time you need it.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
In a 70 Chevelle with a 454 bored 60 thou over I had very high oil pressure. I had used a high volume oil pump but it was above what that would give me. I had problems keeping rear seals in it until I finally got nasty and epoxied the pan one on to the pan first - not the best way to do it but at the time I needed to fix the leak. That cured that problem but I was still concerned about the very high oil pressure. It didn't take too long for me to find that the external oil cooler I'd put on to keep the oil temps down had a small blockage in it. I took it to a rad shop and they flushed it out and my pressure dropped to normal. It was a new GM oil cooler so don't know what was in it, probably something from the manufacturing process, and darned good thing whatever it was didn't get loose and into the oil system and take out my bearings. Let us know what you resolve with yours.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:25 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Tidewater , Virginia
Just a simple follow-up to my original post. At start-up, cold, is the pressure any different (higher/lower) than before the cooler install? Also, is this an additional cooler or a larger one in place of the original?

Take care,
A-6E All Weather Attack Driver, BUFF
USN Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Ret.
'91 Suburban R-2500 w/BBC
'78 Honda GL-1000
'72 Triumph T-100R Daytona
dinoburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:18 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
I would vote for Terry and use a mechanical gauge. With an electrical one, you have to match the sender with the gauge, not so the mechanical one. I had the same problem reading too high a pressure until I discovered that I had the wrong sender.

Steve

Barry is probably on to something. Crud in the lines is a more common occurence than you think.
Geophilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:28 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
White Lake , Michigan
I'm not sure what was original...but when I bought the rig...it had an external cooler about half the size of the new one...I can't remember what the cold start pressure was before the new cooler was installed but on a scale of 0 to 80 on my gauge...I'm idling at about 70 and running at 75...Recently I had to disconnect the oil cooler and lost some oil in the process...my pressure dropped to around 60....My dip stick is still between add and full...which make me think the extra oil the new larger cooler holds may be part of my oil pressure issues...thanks for all the advice...the weather is turning cold but this should be an item I can work on from the inside...I will try to use your ideas...thanks to all...Mr. D.