Old 02-13-2006, 03:33 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Regarding diesels

guy 99 has some good points. Diesels are not perfect. Nothing is (Except my old Laborador. She, even at age 13, can tell the difference between my Mercedes diesel running half a mile away and my wife's Mercedes diesel running half a mile away. It may have something to do with the fact that my wife feeds her. I don't.)

I will leave it to the more environmentally clued in to explain why diesels, which pollute, do so differently than gasoline engines. Everything pollutes.

I should point out that I am a diesel fanatic, and I try to see the big picture. What has not been addressed here is the fact that more diesel passenger vehicles are sold in Europe than gasoline powered vehicles. In Europe, environmental standards are significantly higher than they are on this side of the pond. In some Western European countries, the authorities can force owners to replace their vehicles ( or overhaul their engines) because they cannot meet ever-increasing environmental requirements. Western Europeans are not happy about the influx of old, beat-up barely rolling gasoline junkers from Eastern Europe.

Regardless of what you may think of all of this, my point is that new diesels (even overhauled diesels) are by definition more efficent than old ones. The prospect of more environmentally friendly fuels is a definate plus, even though there are a few unique problems.

Engines Break down. I can see no benefit to replacing a gasoline thunker twice or three times instead of buying and properly maintaining 1 diesel. If it breaks, it breaks, but the average purchase and operating cost of a good new or rebuilt diesel over an average engine lifetime is significantly less than the cost of a series of gas thunkers over their respective lifetimes. All those 18 wheelers on the road are trying awfully hard to keep their costs per mile down, and they are not driving gas thunkers.

I, too will be looking for someone else to put a diesel in my vehicle. If anyone else out there finds a shop with known competence, let us all know. I will put the owner's name and phone number on the matrix for all to use.

Best
Rob Alley
1991 AS 350
Presently snowed in

Old 02-14-2006, 09:44 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
malden , Massachusetts
Hi to all. I now have an Isuzu sitting outside . It's also sold as the Chevy and GMC I think 3500 and 4500. Mine is a 14 ft box truck. Diesels are indeed not perfect. They NEED maintanance to reach the higher mileages. I had a diesel Volvo a BEAUTIFUL car and I checked it out MYSELF MISTAKE I missed a belt out back and it's junk now... but I get the same milage on a 14 ft. box truck that some of my friends get in a large work van...... and I can haul there van IN my box...I worked on boat tankers and swore off anything diesel the smell made me sick... My truck smell a bit at start up and not at all after .So I'm surprised at the availability of isuzu diesels in the airstreams and will be looking for one when I'm replacing my Argosy.Besl o luck in th future Rod

Old 02-14-2006, 10:08 AM   #17
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Cool

I drove diesel truck for a number of years and thoroughly enjoyed the response and power as well as their low cost per mile. My Father owned the trucking company and it was a hard sell to get him to buy his first diesel. I drove the old gassers for years before he capitulated and bought his first diesel just for me. Within 2 years he had no more gassers and had a fleet of diesels. The reasons are the benefits I listed above.

We now own a 345 turbo-diesel and love it. It gets up to 16 mpg and has very good power. It does smoke a little starting up on a cold morning, but that is just for a few minutes. The particulates in diesel smoke are larger than gasoline smoke and settle out quickly so they don't pollute as much. It just looks like they do.

A lot of the arguements are nonsense. When you get better mileage, go 10,000 miles between oil changes, get 4 to 500,000 miles on an engine before major overhaul, these all add up to less cost per mile. Yes, they do smell, but if you use the new bio-diesel, the exhaust smells like French Fries!

I listen to all the rhetoric about the so-called "green cars", like the Prius that brag about 30 some mpg. My Wife drives a VW Jetta diesel and it never gives us less than 40 mpg and often close to 50 mpg. We will never have to replace several thousand dollars worth of batteries either. You never hear much about that do you.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Suppose I wanted to have my 310 converted. What sort of vendor should I look for to undertake this change?

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:07 PM   #19
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
That's a very good question. Here in Minnesota I would go to the kid up the road. He is a farmer and has a diesel shop and road graders on the side. He can fabricate whatever he needs in his shop and he is familier with Isuzu diesel engines.

In California I wouldn't have a clue where to go. Probably have to beat the bushes a bit.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 02-15-2006, 12:44 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Competent repower shops

My matrix now contains just (2) TWO known repower jobs. Hardly a track record to be sanguine about.

Cooperhawk: Can you please call your guy up the road and see if he is interested in doing more repower jobs, and, if so, send me his name, business address, and phone number? That might provide at least one source in the mid U.S.

Others--how about calling the shop where you get your work major done, if you don't do it yourself. Ask the same questions. Send to me. I will take on the responsibility of calling the shops to try and determine what tack record, if any, these people have. Anywhere in the US or Canada is OK.

I cannot recommend the last place to do any work on mine, although they do a lot of diesel truck maintenance--see recent posts.

PS I love the smell of diesel in the morning--it is the smell of $ staying in my pocket......

Rob Alley
1991 AS 350
Thawing out!!
Old 02-15-2006, 03:47 PM   #21
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
He is getting ready to plow snow tomorrow as we are about to get a blizzard tonight. I plan to see him this week end.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 02-19-2006, 04:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
I've been spending some time looking at data/analyses of diesel emissions. One of the reasons I was considering a diesel re-power was the belief that it would pollute less. Seems to be flat wrong. And the particulates produced by diesels seem to be particularly dangerous.

Am I misreading the facts?

Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
Old 02-27-2006, 05:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Wow, I guess my last post was a real buzz-kill.

Jim,
Did you ever speak with your neighbor?

Old 03-02-2006, 06:37 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99
Wow, I guess my last post was a real buzz-kill.

Jim,
Sorry--lost the thread here. I, as I said elsewhere, take the long view of pollution. Diesels, as I understand it, pollute differently than gas engines, but I am not prepared or educated enough to discuss which sort of pollution is worse, or why. What I do know is that properly maintained diesel engines and their vehicles last longer than gas powered ones. The pollution created by the manufacturing process is ignored in most arguments over automotive pollution. So, you can take your choice. Either:
1. Diesels last longer, so they pollute longer; or
2. Diesels last longer, so the full cycle of pollution caused by design, testing, manufacturing, operating, and recycling of the vehicle is less than gas powered vehicles on a per-mile driven basis--because diesels last longer. You might have to build, buy, and operate 2 or more gas burners to get the same mileage as you can out of a single oil burner.

Take your pick. I've made my choice--the Mercedes 300D I have used to get to work since 1995 has 400K on it. My next door neighbor has worn out 3 gas burners in that time, and is still making payments.

Best,
Rob Alley
Old 03-03-2006, 12:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Rob,
I'm aware of the considerations you mention. But one needs a reasonable estimate of the quantities of energy used and pollution generated by the alternatives to make rational choices.

I started out looking for a justification for a diesel conversion because I was concerned about the amount of fuel my 454 burns and the associated environmental effects. But the little bit of poking around that I have done seems to indicate that if one is going to burn petroleum based diesel the pollution will be worse/more dangerous than burning a greater amount of gasoline.

The reason I posted here was that I am sure that there are people on the forum who know much more about these issues than I do and I was hoping that they would post more information that would confirm/refute my impression and/or provide data or pointers to data which would allow a real analysis considering the kind of issues you raise.

As an individual consumer I wish I could rely on market mechanisms to tell me (via price) which was the better approach. Unfortunately, in my view, our markets do not fully price in environmental costs so that simply following the the market is vulnerable to the "tragedy of the commons".

So, I really hope that everyone who has specific information and knowledge of the topic will share it here.

Old 03-04-2006, 12:05 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Marietta , Georgia
Send a message via MSN to 85/345
I have sat here for 10 minutes trying to figure out how to respond and I just can't figure out how to convince people that diesels are better. Everytime I talk to people about diesels their first reply is doesn't it smell or diesels are noisy. I own a GMC with a Duramax and a VW Jetta TDI and neither one of them smell and they are no louder than a gasser, especially the TDI. Forget about how diesels were back in the 80's or 90's they have changed, for the better. You can run svo, wvo and biodiesel and all of these can be grown and produced domestically. What more could you ask for? I know diesel cost more but I blame that on the invention of the fuel surcharge (that's another topic we might discuss later ). The only reason diesels aren't considered mainstream is because the auto giants haven't pushed them or the alternative fuels that can fuel them. Take GM for example they are now pushing ethanol as an alternative fuel, with the live green go yellow campaign. I for one didn't know a whole lot about ethanol as a fuel until GM supported it.

Alright as you can tell the next repower I have will be with a diesel engine no doubt about it. I guess it just boils down to what you prefer, there's no other way to put it, go with what makes you happy, but go with the diesel . Hopefully I made sense, its late.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:55 AM   #27
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99
Jim,
I have to beg forgivness. We got our snow and were busy for a while and then I forgot. Will get to him this week.

I just posted on another thread about bio diesel that we also drive a 05 VW Jedda diesel and love it. When other manufacturers are striving for 30 mpg, we get 40 plus on the VW. It is also a full sized car with the loaded weight listed at close to 4000 lbs. We only need to change oil every 10,000 miles as well.

I have read in the past that diesel polution is heavy particulates and settles out of the air rapidly. I think a lot of people associate the smell with greater pollution. Just not so I think.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 03-04-2006, 01:46 PM   #28
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
I went up to my neighbor and talked to him about the diesel conversion. He is willing to discuss it. attached is his e-mail address.

VFW, LEGION, NRA