Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2003, 04:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Is there potential to do any long term damage using the boost switch?

Many times it does work better with the generator on. Other times, it makes no difference.

Welcome Back Brett! Hope your trip was grand!
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 07:54 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Adams , Tennessee
solenoid

Check your starter for the heat shield betwween the manifold and the solenoid. Extream heat can cause those kinds of symptoms.
Bfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 07:01 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Intermediate Solenoid

I think this thread pretty well says it all about the starting system, except for one solenoid previously undiscussed. -- The intermediate solenoid.

At least on the mid to late '80's MH's, there is a solenoid mounted under the dog house, towards the forward right hand corner, bolted to the oil dipstick tube.

The purpose of this solenoid is to insure a full 12 volt signal gets to the starter solenoid. The theory being that miscelaneous losses amount to almost 2 volts up to the ignition switch, and, for the current required by the starter solenoid, another 2 volts is lost at the switch.

Since I installed the new 9800 series High Torque mini starter (the 9000 gave up the ghost after a very short time, traded the old 9000 in on warranty for the 9800), I hadn't experienced starting problems, until recently. I am not ready to tear out the old dash and replace it with a new one yet, so I was investigating alternatives to replacing the $25 dollar ignition switch I had suspected of causing the gremlin. With the dog house off, I could tell the intermediate solenoid appeared to be working, because of the loud "click" when attempting to activate the starter, but the starter was not engaging. Hmmm.....

Turns out the intermediate solenoid was not making internal contact, and a new one was had for less than ten bucks. Caution when replacing a "NAPA" brand, the small contacts are not for the same useage as the original GM and a replacement "Autozone" (Ford type). I lost more than a few minutes figuring out that one of the terminals on the "NAPA" replacement was not used, the one I thought was to be grounded was actually for the "hot" lead from the ignition switch, and that the stud diameters were different sizes (had to drill out the crimp type terminal connection to make it fit). This solenoid could contribute to the "hot start" difficulties, since it is subject to heat soaking up under the doghouse.

This is the same type of solenoid that the "hot jumper" (jumps the coach batteries to the chassis battery with a switch in the glove box) uses. The "Hot Jumper" solenoid is located behind the battery drawer. Add this solenoid to the list of recommended "spares".

This solenoid is used at least at two separate points on the coach, possibly three, if your Generator is equipped with a simple contact type starter solenoid.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 07:58 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

starter

Like it was stated earlier, disconnect the battery cable before working on the starter!!!
Many years ago my teenage son was putting a starter on his manual shift car in front of the garage door, well he "knew it all" and didn't bother to disconnect the battery lead at the battery.
Well we got a new garage door out of that deal( and he got a new pair of shorts!!)Ha.LOL! luckly he managed to get in and stop it before it went out the back of the garage.
$50.00 car, $250.00 door, one smelly pair of shorts= lesson learned
ol'George
George is offline   Reply With Quote